Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of getting into Fantasy, and unlike the last time I was considering it, I've found a theme and army I love and would have a ton of fun creating and playing. I'm not going for super competitive, but rather a list that will be enjoyable to play, isn't found every where, and will be fun to convert. That being said, I also don't want to get squashed in every game, so if anyone has any comments or critiques feel free to tell me how to improve it.

Lords/Heroes:

Vampire Lord

-Magic Level 4

-Heavy Armour

-Barded Nightmare

Magic Items:
-Dragonbane Helm

-Enchanted Shield

-Other Trickster's Shard

-Talisman of Endurance

-Ogre Blade

Vampiric Powers:
-Red Fury

-Summon Creatures of the Night

-Dark Acolyte

Wight King

-Skeletal Steed (Barded)

-Great Weapon

-Shield

-Nightshroud

Vampire

-Battle Standard Bearer

-Heavy Armour

-Shield

-Barded Nightmare

Magic Items:
-Dawnstone

-Sword of Might

Vampiric Powers:
-Quickblood

-Fear Incarnate

Core:
Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x20

Dire Wolves x20

Dire Wolves x19

Special:
Hexwraiths x 5

Hexwraiths x 5

Black Knights x14

-Hell Knight

-Standard Bearer

-Banner of the Barrows

-Musician

-Lances

-Barding

Rare:
Varghulf

The Vampire Lord would go in the unit of 19 Dire Wolves, the Wight King and other Vampire in the Black Knights. Small units of Dire Wolves would be used to screen and redirect. Between being a Level 4 and Dark Acolyte, the Lord would raise 4+D6+D3 Wolves per unit affected per turn.

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
My only issue is the lack of infantry and banners.
If you end up playing missions from the book, watchtower and blood and glory will ruin you.
You could swap some of the dogs out for zombies or skeletons.
The vamp lord can only have one piece I magic armour. I would go for the enchanted shield.
The BSB could do with a ward save, if some one ignores armour then the dawnstone is worthless.
Armour of destiny and shield while mounted should do.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll swap the Enchanted Shield for a regular one and the Dawnstone for shield + Armour of Destiny.

If I drop one big unit of wolves, what's the better choice, 52 zombies with a banner or 31 skeletons with a banner? I'm thinking probably the zombies, as they'd be able to take damage until combat and would probably be out of caster range by then.

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
Zombies all the way. Plus you can make the unit bigger with every cast of the sig spell.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have a bret undead list it's alot of fun and looks great it's easy ish to splice men at arms and zombies and as noted nice cheap (points wise) to get decent units size and standards and it so easy to make them bigger as well 260pts you have 4 units of 20 with standards get a few casts of invocation off and those units can be 30-40 after 1 turn of magic. Then lots of knights and wolves.

I would also drop ogre blade and the other magic bits. Best load out is sword of blood shed enchanted shield tali of endurance heavy armour barded nightmare level 4 red fury quick blood and summon put him and a weight king bsb staff of domination great weapon dragon helm barded steed heavy armour and then 16 knights with banner of the barrows that's a hammer and your vamp will be bowling in with 8 attacks but could get a 9th from the staff of Damnation str 5 is more than capable of killing and you will likely re roll misses to so could generate a few more. Then put 4 units of 5 dire wolves within 12 inches 2 turns of magic boom 4 units of 15 and of course brining back 5 knights a turn means the unit will be around for a long time as well as the characters

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after taking everything that has been said into consideration (as well as further developing my army's fluff, necessitating a couple minor needs), this is my updated list. I swapped out the Varghulf for an Abyssal Terror with full upgrades (cheaper, and I figured it would be a more effective creature, what with combined stats and all); I know this makes it easier to kill the general with cannons, but I want to try it out and if it doesn't work I can always return to a regular steed.

I also reworked some of the magic items (Wight King is a little more fighty, Vampire BSB is a little more durable), and both will remain in the Black Knights unit.

I removed one unit of 20 Dire Wolves, and replaced it with a unit of 66 Zombies with a standard. I am considering two units of 32 Zombies with Standards instead of one massive one.

2500 points:

Lords/Heroes:

Vampire Lord
-Magic Level 4
-Heavy Armour
-Abyssal Terror
-Sword claws
-Poisonous Tail
Magic Items:
-Enchanted Shield
-Other Trickster's Shard
-Talisman of Endurance
-Sword of Strife
Vampiric Powers:
-Red Fury
-Summon Creatures of the Night
-Dark Acolyte
-Beguile
666 (awesome number, right?)

Wight King
-Skeletal Steed (Barded)
-Shield
Magic Items:
-Biting Blade
-Nightshroud

Vampire
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Shield
-Barded Nightmare
Magic Items:
-Armour of Fortune
-Sword of Striking
Vampiric Powers:
-Quickblood
-Fear Incarnate

Core:

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x20

Dire Wolves x20

Zombies x 66
-Standard Bearer

Special:

Hexwraiths x 5

Hexwraiths x 5

Black Knights x14
-Hell Knight
-Standard Bearer
-Banner of the Barrows
-Musician
-Lances
-Barding

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
I would not put him on a monster. He is the gerneral and lvl4, you want him in a unit and to get look out sir from them.
On a monster he can die from combat res or shooting.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Drop his magic levels pop him on a dragon give him nightshroud sword of might tali of endurance iron curse icon red fury quick blood and take a level 4 necro break zombie into 3 units of 20 with standards and spam invocation and have 3 units of 60+. Drop the weight king no point to him just take a champ to protect from challenges then make vamp level 2 so he brings 3 knights back with each cast of invocation give him enchanted shield and tali of pres lance and red fury job done

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wight King is there to give the Knights more bite and to help protect the BSB with Nightmare Shroud. I may drop a magic level on the Lord for another on the baby Vamp though.

I'm saving the Zombie Dragon mount for when I expand the army later, otherwise she'd be on it already.

Should i split the big zombie unit into two smaller ones?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts