Cluster Spines

20 Hormagaunts

20 Hormagaunts

Heavy Support

Trygon

Trygon

Mawloc

Tactics

THe Hormagaunst outflank the drop pods try and land behind transports in an attempt to pop them with their ripper tenticles, zoans concentrate on those armoured pieces that can dish out the most damage. The devilgaunts try and take out heavy weapons squads while the trygons and mawlocs try and pop transports or squads depending on biggest threat. I hope to have so many threats and do so much damage in the 2nd turn that the enemy feels defeat is inevitable. I especially want to take out vehicles with a lot of fire power so that the enemy can't do enough wounds to take out my MC's and particularly my DOM (A vain hope I guess at 2500). The hivetyrants will deepstrike away from troops to avoid being lost but hopefully close enough that the devourers can open up. The tervigon will come on from my board edge to create squads to capture objectives. on my board edge.

Biggest worry
I feel I have enough anti tank or swarm to take on most lists however another Drop Pod list will be scary if they get 2nd turn.

Carni

C&C appreciated

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Hmm, I like this list. Working on one of these myself as well.
One thing, maybe it's wiser to let the Tervigon outflank. The Hormies without upgrades will do very little damage. And you can always let the Tervigons arrive near your deployment zone, but this way you have a choice wether you want it to hit some enemy units or use it as hom defence.

Perhaps lose one hormy unit, and upgrade/upp the other hormy unit so they do damage a lot easier. And maybe get a psychic on the Tervigon? Especially if you're going to make him outflank you can make him walk onto the table paralel to one of your others units and use onslaught or catalyst on them with good effect.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd say save your self 60 points and use 3 mawlocs instead of two trygons you have pretty good synaps available and i think mawlocs are scarier then trygons just because if you dont kill it the turn it pops up its almost guaranteed to happen again. i might even say drop the spores on the devilgants and out flank with them instead, then i would support the hive tyrants with the homigants on the rush that way they will be up the field for synaps for your mawlocs, devilgants can still do alot of damage coming for table sides because you still have a 24" range coming onto the board which i think is good enough. the tervigon is kind of all alone in this one, but with the left over 200 points i found you, you could potentially field two of them and out flank those guys instead while gaining a further tactical advantage by spawning more units, which in both high point and low point games is always a bonus, up grade them with catalyst give your hormies feel no pain and with support for the tyrant there really isnt much you couldnt do with it. you could even, if you chose not to spore the termigants drop the devourer and double your numbers at the same cost, i find the more models you have the bigger pain in the @$$ you are. even with my adjustments you still keep the reserve and pod aspect of the game and by giving up a pod or two i feel you could have a bigger advantage. I do like your list however iv been trying to find an effective way to field two flyrants and you have pretty much pointed it out to me. Great job dude

Yukon

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Please use Capitals and an enter here and there. This is HELL to read...

How would you 'rush' hormy's with a flyrant when the flyrants don't even start on the table?

About the Mawloc/Trygon thingy. How are Trygon's NOT nasty when you don't kill them in the first turn? A charge from those buggers can trully ruin your day...

Uhm, yes you'll double the models and lessen the usefulness...

Your adjustments don't really keep the podding in here. Your idea is to place the Flyrants and the Hormy's which removes the reserves idea and will leave you with a very much weakened list. First thing your opponent does is kill one or 2 Flyrants and there goes your 2+ reserves on turn two...

Sorry, I don't see much in your points. I might see something in switching one trygon to a mawloc, but I'd also switch the remaining Trygon to a Prime as he'll just scare your opponent even more... And will draw A LOT of attention.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Please use Capitals and an enter here and there. This is HELL to read...

How would you 'rush' hormy's with a flyrant when the flyrants don't even start on the table?

About the Mawloc/Trygon thingy. How are Trygon's NOT nasty when you don't kill them in the first turn? A charge from those buggers can trully ruin your day...

Uhm, yes you'll double the models and lessen the usefulness...

Your adjustments don't really keep the podding in here. Your idea is to place the Flyrants and the Hormy's which removes the reserves idea and will leave you with a very much weakened list. First thing your opponent does is kill one or 2 Flyrants and there goes your 2+ reserves on turn two...

Sorry, I don't see much in your points. I might see something in switching one trygon to a mawloc, but I'd also switch the remaining Trygon to a Prime as he'll just scare your opponent even more... And will draw A LOT of attention.
Sorry my bad I suppose I could spell check a little better my fault.

As for the Flyrant I didnt realized winged infantry had the option to deep strike. "missed that part in the rule book", maybe because i don't normally use winged but i guess its time to change that now :). Knowing that now I probably wouldn't change your tactics for the hormies or the flyrants

I found that after using trygons and trygon primes continuously for the last 6-7 games everyone has done nothing but focus fire to death, I have yet to date earn my points back with them, maybe its just me but the mawlocs burrow and template attack have been far more devastating then anything my trygons have done up to date.

I don't think you lesses the usefulness they both have benefit's the one i'm thinking of is number to me its more important with the troops then fire power. Again my opinion, podding them is cool but costly so I hope for the best on the turn you drop due to low model count horrible save and low toughness they wont survive alot.

a Trygon has just as much of a fear factor as the trygon prime, the only reason I would upgrade him would be to ensure synapes on the point where he drops, + shadow in the warp if up against alot of psychic

·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking about switching the Hormies for Genestealers to get that extra bang for my buck, I think 10 with toxins will do just nice, they will be there for taking out elite infantry hopefully, it will make the fleet roll not as dependable... which is a curse but I guess I would just have to aim for 12" from the board edge rather than 17" besides with most things arriving on turn two they will hopefully miss out on all the directed fire.

As for the Mawloc Trygon Argument, The scatter on the Mawloc for me is too random compared to the trygons awesomeness in close combat (rerolling hits and wounding on 2's vs most oppnents). I realise something has to die in their turn 3 but there are so many threats it will be a tough call. Also the whole reburrow thing I don't like 170 points for 3 Strength 6 AP 2 templates Is not a bargain considering I don't decrease the scatter distance at all... The mawloc is mainly there to push the enemy off objectives/contest them

Also as a note I believe I will fire Paroxsym off in the first turn the Tyrants arrive to effectively disable a squad.... (very cool if its the HQ)

Carni

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Maybe consider a Broodlord if you can spare the points.

Sorry my bad I suppose I could spell check a little better my fault.

As for the Flyrant I didnt realized winged infantry had the option to deep strike. "missed that part in the rule book", maybe because i don't normally use winged but i guess its time to change that now :). Knowing that now I probably wouldn't change your tactics for the hormies or the flyrants

I found that after using trygons and trygon primes continuously for the last 6-7 games everyone has done nothing but focus fire to death, I have yet to date earn my points back with them, maybe its just me but the mawlocs burrow and template attack have been far more devastating then anything my trygons have done up to date.

I don't think you lesses the usefulness they both have benefit's the one i'm thinking of is number to me its more important with the troops then fire power. Again my opinion, podding them is cool but costly so I hope for the best on the turn you drop due to low model count horrible save and low toughness they wont survive alot.

a Trygon has just as much of a fear factor as the trygon prime, the only reason I would upgrade him would be to ensure synapes on the point where he drops, + shadow in the warp if up against alot of psychic
I don't really see the problem if the Trygon draw concentrated firepower... There's more then one way to win back points, and if he doesn't get shot he'll be able to ravage your opponent. And with 3 at least one or 2 will survive, together with the 2nd turn drop.

It depends on what you want with them. While number are great their killing force goes down a lot. Even with the extra bodies they'll still wither and die fairly easy. After podding you just deploy them behind/around the pod to make sure you get a cover save.

Not really, after chucking 12 dices for a single models shooting opponents tend to turn their eyes towards it even more. The synapse and the shadow will annoy people as well.

Difference between us as it seems is also that I don't tailor my lists, I just build a list and play.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm thinking about switching the Hormies for Genestealers to get that extra bang for my buck, I think 10 with toxins will do just nice, they will be there for taking out elite infantry hopefully, it will make the fleet roll not as dependable... which is a curse but I guess I would just have to aim for 12" from the board edge rather than 17" besides with most things arriving on turn two they will hopefully miss out on all the directed fire.
I agree thirty close combat attacks on the charge is great I would hope you would be running more then one unit though, kind of as a back up just incase they dont make the assault needed the turn they come in.

Alternatively you could potentially stick with the hormies instead and still outflank them with the tyrants command and give them toxin sacs, they can still do some damage even against elite infantry (guess it depends on what though) plus with the 3d6 run rule with them your almost guaranteed a first turn charge and at the same time you would potentially pump out more poisoned attacks (assuming you took toxin sacs) then stealers and you would re roll ones.

Really its your choice though it all boils down to what you are up against and unless you know what it is its a tough call either way

Personally i'v found alot of success in using genestealers they pose a tremendous threat to everyone, and if you chose to upgrade one to a brood lord, he himself is a great addition plus you would benefit from his psychic abilities as well

Again your call though

·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SO after Discussion got a few more temagaunts swapped hormies for genestealers but had to lose 2 zoans

HQ

Hive Tyrant
2x Twin Linked Devourers
Wings
Hive Commander

Hive Tyrant
2x Twin Linked Devourers
Wings
Hive Commander

Elites

2 Zoanthropes
Spore

2 Zoanthropes
Spore

Doom of Malan'tai
Spore

Troops

16 Termagaunts
Devourers
Spore

17 Termagaunts
Devourers
Spore

Tervigon
Cluster Spines

10 Genestealers
Toxin Sacs

10 Genestealers
Toxin Sacs

Heavy Support

Trygon

Trygon

Mawloc

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Maybe an idea is to lose some of the Termagants, (Id say 3) and put the 30 points in the Tervigon in the form of Psychic powers. Each of them is nasty in it's own right.

·
Registered
590 Posts
genstealers automatically out flank and with the termigants in a spore I would say out flank one unit of termigants and keep the spore on the other, outflank the tervigon and put the 40 points from the spore into the tervigon maybe give him catalyst and you would still have 25 points to fill, your call though but thats what i would do. I'm beginning to like this list more and more though.

·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah good call on dropping the spore, i've yet to try a tervigon, and hence how well the upgrades and powers go (got to get one modeled and make a few more gaunts). thanks for the comment though I'll wait a bit longer for some more comments before updating the list.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
I'd keep the 2 units of Devilgants in spores. If you want a outflanking one I'd rather get an extra unit. With the precision you can DS the spores it's very nice to be able to fire those shots where needed and not having them forced to come on of the sides as with the gants that might put you in a bad position. I mostly see people putting vehicles on the flanks, guarding the infantry in between...

For the Tervigon both Catalyst and Onslaught are nasty power and will be able to help. (Onslaught will mostly help your units spread out after DS without losing their ability to shoot.)

·
Registered
590 Posts
i've yet to try a tervigon, and hence how well the upgrades and powers go
I have to completely converted carnifex's into tervigons using spare mawloc parts from the two trygon boxes i bought. Iv used them in i believe 4 games now it might only be three though, but each game i used them they were my hq slot, Catalyst+ genestealers with a brood lord in the unit is unstoppable aided by the DOM both times the -1 leadership generated by the brood lord boosted the DOM so well each turn i was firing off the str 10 template and still bringing his wounds back to 10.

Tervigons i never have really used them as anything more then support for the rest of the army, the fact that if they die kills off almost all of the spawned units is a pain and i had it happen once so far, because the spawned units act independently i used them to cover objectives as they didn't pose a threat they were left alone to claim everything at once which was nice.

The over all best experience iv had was in a 1000 point game, where i was very lucky and spawned upwards of 50 gants and over ran the board. it was like for every gant they killed another one resurfaced. essentially my tervigons were bringing back the dead and it wasnt until turn 5 that I couldn't spawn anymore and having feel no pain on a unit of 15 little gants with toxin sacs and adrenal glands they were out fighting blood angels in combat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts