Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Hello I am going to be fighting a 2500 points game against a eldar army I know the general list includes farseers , lots of warlocks , fire dragons, wraith gaurds, dire avengers, and probably a few a fire prisms. Any advice on battling Eldar?

Oh yes and I will be taking

1 necron lord w/ res orb and VOD
1 necron lord w/ res orb

10 immortals

13 warriors
12 warriors
12 warriors
12 warriors

5 destoryers
5 destoryers
5 destoryers

1 monolith

thanks for any anti Eldar advice

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Possibly look at a Second Lth if you have one available. Or More Immortals, dropping some warriors and having 2 units of Imms.

When i last fought Eldar, i found my Wraiths+DesLord to be invaluable, the best unit i had available to counter them and it won me the game. If youre happy to loose 5 Destroyers, consider that.

Also, Heavy Destroyers. If he has a WraithLord, these guys are the best way to take him out. A unit of 3, or 2 of 2 if you dont have a second Lith.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Be very wary of the fire dragons, since they'll probly be mechanized I'd say concentrate your destroyers and immortals to taking out their transports first and foremost. Fire prisms can be a bit of a pain. Your best bet is to just keep out of range since their most powerful weapons are 12" utilize your destroyers and immortals, keep out of their reach. Flying circus to hit the fire prisms is a fair bet but be careful to not get your squad caught in a crossfire if you do that.

DS the monolith and let it rain hell, unless they have haywire grenades eldar have a tough time with monos. Consider using the particle whip to eliminate the fire prisms as they will be the greatest threat to your tank. Immortals are your friends more then warriors are in this battle since warrior's kill-range is 12" immortals kill range is 24" and they'll hit the eldar infantry FAR harder. ANd their guns will go through many eldar armorsaves.

Again you can't afford to let hte fire dragons and wraithguard get in range, use your mobility to keep away from them, necrons are just as fast as eldar if ya use them right.

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
Read this battle report!

The points and general Eldar composition aren't the same but Eldar utilize certain strengths in most lists and moob had the Eldar under control.

In your battle, don't forget about the Objectives.

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Alrights im back after nine hours, Im not going to be giving and detailed battle reports here but a general summary of the two games we play ( excuse me if I'm fuzzy about some of the turns). We played two games, one 2500 points, and a 1500 points. I lost both :0.

first game

I used my army listed previously posted
and the eldar army list was a little something like this

1 farseer 6 warlokcs (I think ?!?)
7 wraith guard w/ warlock
9 fire dragon w/ the fire dragon pheonix lord (dont know the name)
2*10 squads of dire avengers
20 storm guardians
2*7 warp spiders
2*5 rangers
2 fire prisms
1 wraith lord

first turn eldar rolled highest d6 and took the turn taking out a total of 10 of my destroyers! with his rangers and fire prisms and made a general advance

My turn came by and desperately tried to move my remaining destoryers towards a res orb
and moved up the phalanax only taking out a few of his rangers and VOD my lord towards his warp spiders and opening up fire destorying a full sqaud of them

second eldar turn: proceeded to punish my remaining destoryers leaving 2 behind and 1 getting a WWB roll saved the next turn nothing much else happened apart froma counter assualt from his warp spiders to my lord w/ immortals taking down a few but getting cut down in the returning attacks and retreating off of one of the board edges. Rest of his units ran swiftly foward (fleet of foot for the part)

My second turn My monolith failed its reserve rolls, my destoryers hit and killed 3 of his incoming warlocks, lord and immortals VOD and landed and open fired upon his storm gaurdians taking out half while the other half was moped up by rapid flayer fire. 1 squad of my warriors shot and killed his wraithlord in the ruined building infront of them! and the 3rd squad cut down 3 or 4 dire avengers

3rd eldar turn eldar regathered they're oragnaization i managed to somewaht break last turn in the movement phase , wraith gaurd still doing nothing same with fire dragons, um the two fire prisms did that combine laser thingy and took out 9 of my warriors, gggrrrr. and one squad of his dire avangers shoot at some warriors and knocked a few down only for all of them to get back up.

my 3rd turn: Monolith finally deep striked right into the heart of his army with a glorious 8 d6 for the gauss flux arcs however i managed to roll 4 1's and 2 2's :( :( Quite possibly the biggest fail of necron fire power i have yet seen. this attack took out 3 dire avengers , 3 warlocks, and a ranger. Warriors opened up on the charging sqaud of dire avengers destroying them, another using full range shots and finsihing off the other avenger squad

Eldar 3rd turn: Wraith gaurd utterly destroyer my monolith and the rest of my destoryers where cut down, along with my immortals and my lord.

and basically the next three turns were me and the eldar player fire shots back and fowards for a few turns before i phased out from a eldar assault

Onto the 1500 point game which went much better for me
i used
1 lord w/ res orb
3*12 warriors
2*5 destoryers
10 scarabs w/ disruption feilds
1 monolith

he used
1 farseer w/warlocks
10 dire avengers
2*6 warp spiders
2 fire prisms
8 wraith guard w/warlock

basically throught the game i manged to knock out 1 fire prism, 4 wraith gaurd , 10 diire avangers, 8 warp spiders, and a few warlocks
he took out my monolith, one and half squads of warriors , 8 destoryers and 10 scarabs

These were two very fun games with a very good and skilled friend of mine. Tommorow I will be facing off againsts a friends dark angles. Atleast I wont have to try and keep up with a blindingly fast army and ive found its alot easier to keep my distance when fighting space marines. As we all know very well distance=no assault, no assault+ gauss= alot of dead space marines.

My biggest mistake that i will never make again is too remove those fire prisms and rangers ASAP. They were the single most crippling units my necrons have ever fought.

·
LO Zealot
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah those Deathwing Terminators.... Pretty much almost impossible to take out with necron fire power. Its just its so improbable that they will roll 1's, and it seems that necrons really lack ap 2 weapons as the heavy destoryers are too inefficent and the monolith portal is almost a must use every turn that its hard to have a oppurtunity to fire it.

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
Yeah those Deathwing Terminators.... Pretty much almost impossible to take out with necron fire power. Its just its so improbable that they will roll 1's, and it seems that necrons really lack ap 2 weapons as the heavy destoryers are too inefficent and the monolith portal is almost a must use every turn that its hard to have a oppurtunity to fire it.
All I have to say is "volume of fire".

·
Registered
190 Posts
All I have to say is "volume of fire".
Yes, but there remains the problem of having to shoot most of your army at the Termies, leaving everything else to get in assault range. I wonder if worrying too much about Termies is a mistake and tend to play against them as a normal unit. If you assume that most armies won't have many Termies, you could also reserve a Warscythe or even a Tomb Spyder for assault support. I have had a TS kill two Terminators before dying and a Destroyer Lord with a scythe and phase shifter ought to do some damage. If only Pariahs had I 4... I'll probably face 5-6 Grey Knights Termies with Nemesis Force Weapons, two psycannons, and a Grand Master tonight in a 2500 point list. I'll let you know how it goes.

What really scares me is the Chaos list I'll be facing. He's considering bringing a Termie heavy list since his new Termies are really cheap. I'll almost have to bring the Deceiver. Got to love the fact that my opponents know exactly what I can bring in every game, huh?

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Yes, but there remains the problem of having to shoot most of your army at the Termies, leaving everything else to get in assault range. I wonder if worrying too much about Termies is a mistake and tend to play against them as a normal unit. If you assume that most armies won't have many Termies, you could also reserve a Warscythe or even a Tomb Spyder for assault support. I have had a TS kill two Terminators before dying and a Destroyer Lord with a scythe and phase shifter ought to do some damage. If only Pariahs had I 4... I'll probably face 5-6 Grey Knights Termies with Nemesis Force Weapons, two psycannons, and a Grand Master tonight in a 2500 point list. I'll let you know how it goes.
I'd do my best not to ignore the Grey Knight Terminators if I were you. They get an insane number of high Strength attacks that ignore armor saves and will tear almost anything you put in front of them to bits. The only thing in the Necron army I can think of that has a chance against this unit is a C'tan.

What really scares me is the Chaos list I'll be facing. He's considering bringing a Termie heavy list since his new Termies are really cheap. I'll almost have to bring the Deceiver. Got to love the fact that my opponents know exactly what I can bring in every game, huh?
>.< Man, sounds like the players in your area really dislike your Necrons.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd do my best not to ignore the Grey Knight Terminators if I were you. They get an insane number of high Strength attacks that ignore armor saves and will tear almost anything you put in front of them to bits. The only thing in the Necron army I can think of that has a chance against this unit is a C'tan.
We don't get an INSANE number of attacks, but she's right about the C'tan. Only problem is that the c'tan's pretty easy to run away from. Necron Lords with Phylactery are also a pain in the hiney, and presumably can threaten a greater area than the Deceiver via buzzing through the ole' monolith.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
We don't get an INSANE number of attacks, but she's right about the C'tan. Only problem is that the c'tan's pretty easy to run away from. Necron Lords with Phylactery are also a pain in the hiney, and presumably can threaten a greater area than the Deceiver via buzzing through the ole' monolith.
3 S6 attacks per Terminator (when charging) is pretty insane. ;)

C'tan are slow yes, but so are Terminators. If the Terminators spend the entire game running away from the C'tan then they're probably not doing much damage to the rest of the army, either. I agree that Necron Lords can do a similar job, though.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I like using Destroyers to take out temrmies then I can stay nice and far away form them, then just deal with everything else after that. Depends on the army though sometimes Termies are too slow to be a problem.

the strength of the marines is dependent on what kinda marine is hitting you, since each variation seems to use a different melee weapon. Worst part is that no matter what they always use power weapons of some sort *shudder*.

A decent combat built destroyer lord or some pariahs (against SM termies) is a good way for "crons to go if ya GOTTA get into CC.

I only play against DH as far as termies go though and my experience with them is kinda odd.

·
Registered
190 Posts

>.< Man, sounds like the players in your area really dislike your Necrons.
Well, I played a 2500 point game against WH last night. 6 GKT and a Grandmaster. Three of the Termies sat in a table quarter and took potshots with two psycannons at the Deceiver. I ignored them. The other three with the Grandmaster deep struck near the Deceiver. 21 gauss hits took out one Termie, the Deceiver took out two more, then Misdirected to avoid the GM's force weapon (he did survive one round of attacks, luckily). Then the Monolith and 12 more warriors arrived. Something like 50 gauss hits took out the 4 wound GM. I retract my earlier statement questioning mass fire on Termies. It works (although I did put more wounds on him than the odds suggest I should have, he rolled about average on his saves).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Drake's right...3w on the GM. 71 shots to get....5 wounds?? That is not a good argument for quantity of shot! :) Warscythes! Warscythes!
I'm sure I just got the number of wounds wrong on the GM. And yes on the warscythes. Against Sisters I usually take a DLord with a WS just to overcome Spirit of the Martyr. Makes his Cannoness much less effective and makes him think twice about bringing Termies at all. Still, I was at a point in the game when the primary remaining threat was that GM, and the volume of fire approach killed him. And the first 21 shots were at Termies, not the GM. 50 shots ought to take care of 2-3 Termies, but that's the kind of volume you need to make a dent. Not great, but it did work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.