Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, here is a battle report of match I had against a friend recently.
It was a very intense and bloody match, hope you enjoy it.

[video=youtube;gu1bhz039NE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu1bhz039NE[/video]

·
Registered
48 Posts
First off, great report. Very well illustrated and commentated.

Was he going for a very fluffy WoC list or something? It just seems awful with so much frenzy, no chaff, few drops, and no magic. Seems like a total massacre, surprised the points showed it as close as it was. I dont think your opponent had a chance after turn 2.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I'm getting in the habit of opening up a reply before I press play on your videos :D

1) Chimera
'Ch' is a hard-K (like in "Choir"). Greek mythical beasty.

2) Blood Knight Banner
Yep, works on wounds from enemy spells and shooting. Just remember that anyone in base-base with your Vampire Lord and his "Other Trickster's Shard" has to reroll their successful Wards, as that item works on everyone, friend and foe.

3) Musicians
Only break ties. You mention that on your T2, you drew combat but you Charged, and he had a Musician. If you had won combat by 1pt for Charging, his Musician would make no difference. Unlike Banners, Musicians will only kick in if the two units are tied.

4) Spirit Leech
Yep. "Unmodified Leadership" from the FAQ is the highest leadership within the unit. You cannot use Inspiring Presence or the like.
There's more than a bit of argument about whether or not actual modifiers apply. It seems at the moment that they do, with things like Skaven "Strength in Numbers", and the "Standard of Discipline," still working. Likewise, the Death Spell 'Doom and Darkness' should also stack with it. The rule of thumb is any item/effect/spell which says "+/- X to Leadership" rather than citing a specific example like "A Panic test with -1 Leadership" or "a Leadership test with a -3 Modifier". If you are modifying the actual Leadership stat of a model in some way (Doom and Darkness does) then it will be counted as part of "Unmodified Leadership".

5) Sword of Anti-Heroes
Counts Champions, if it matters.

6) Purple Sun
Yep, hits anyone. In combat, out of combat, fighting in Challenges, friendlies, everyone. You did get unbelievably lucky right there though - nothing in that army (except the Hellcannon and Ogres) are less than I5. So literally 1/6 odds of killing any of that.
Also, Vortices remain active, so that thing should still be rolling around on the table until it moves off or the game ends. Random movement, etc etc makes it pretty dangerous for Undead.
--

Your mate should split his 'Crushers in half. Two units of 3-4 would be perfect, they really don't dish out much damage when they're ranked up. You get 3A from the Crushers, plus the Stomp, and you don't get those from the second rank. Small blocks will rip the faces right off of an enemy regiment, no problem.
To an extent, the same is true of your Blood Knights - you lose a lot of their strengths when they're in two ranks. You could have fielded Black Knights, particularly since most of your damage is coming from the characters in the units, rather than the unit itself. Just a thought.

He's got a neat, fluffy list, but there's a lot that I could pick on within it (I play WoC as my primary army). For example, the Lord especially, doesn't need a Juggernaut. Juggers or Daemonic Steeds are alright for your Heroes, because they gain a wound and toughness from it. The returns on a Lord are really just the extra Jugger/whatever attacks.

He wrecked his deployment as well. The Crushers should have tried to grab the flanks. Again, this is a problem that his Lord/hero were both in the Crusher unit, instead of inside the more "brick like" regiment of Warriors. Had the Warriors gone front-and-center with his characters in it, it could have ruined your army. Magical attacks everywhere for dealing with Hexwraiths and Hosts, plus the Warriors love tearing apart Zombies and other "squishies".

Moving his Lord out of the unit to go solo, really wasn't a good idea. At least, I don't think so. They had no business being on the backs of Crushers inside those Warriors anyways, because (and point this out to your friend) that they are displacing five Warriors. That's 7S5A for his KhorneBerdiers, much more than what he gains from the Juggers. Once he let you flank his Lord, that was an instant +4CR for you (Banner, BSB, Charge, Flank) and probably another +1 for Ranks, and then whatever wounds you inflicted. His Lord had no chance of beating you in the first round, let alone "digging out" from -4CR down.

If he had stayed in his unit, his challenge could have eaten up one of your Heroes. He should have had a Champion in that Warriors block to eat those kinds of challenges, leaving his Characters free to beat the heck out of your regiment. Blender-Vamps are good, but I don't know if you would have been able to deal the same kind of damage as two Chaos characters, plus the wide-formed Halberds.
Frenzy is all about frontage - he should never try to reform for a rank bonus. Khorne (and anything Frenzied) should always be trying to get as wide as possible, and rack in as many attacks as they can.

Your group really needs to start using chaff effectively against you! The only "scary" thing in your army is that huge Character block. If they can just keep that out of the fight altogether, they should have no problem fighting your army to a stand-still, or engaging you on their terms. The problem is that of the group, you seem to be the only one who does this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, great report. Very well illustrated and commentated.

Was he going for a very fluffy WoC list or something? It just seems awful with so much frenzy, no chaff, few drops, and no magic. Seems like a total massacre, surprised the points showed it as close as it was. I dont think your opponent had a chance after turn 2.
We are both new to 8th Edition so just trying out different lists for fun. He normally fields a lot more chaff and magic. But wanted to try just a quick brutal army. I honestly think that army should have smashed me if he played his Chimera and Skullcrushers correctly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

2) Blood Knight Banner
Yep, works on wounds from enemy spells and shooting. Just remember that anyone in base-base with your Vampire Lord and his "Other Trickster's Shard" has to reroll their successful Wards, as that item works on everyone, friend and foe.

5) Sword of Anti-Heroes
Counts Champions, if it matters.
Wow, did not know that about friendly models in base contact. Will have to adjust my tactic if needed.

To an extent, the same is true of your Blood Knights - you lose a lot of their strengths when they're in two ranks. You could have fielded Black Knights, particularly since most of your damage is coming from the characters in the units, rather than the unit itself. Just a thought.
Agreed, I actually change them to Black Knights in the following video vs Dark Elves. But that was only a 2000pt

And I agree with the rest of your points, especially regarding chaff. Right now a lot of my mates are getting the wrong impression that Vampire Counts are a really hard army to beat. But that simply isn't true. They jsut don't use chaff properly and I end up engaging my best units against their mediocre ones, while their best units are spending whole games killing 100points of zombies. But we are all learning so hopefully our play styles improve and my videos will reflect this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts