Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since anyone has posted here so I thought I would list a very different roster than what I've been playing lately.

It's more combat orientated than what I normally play. It has No Wild Riders, No Sisters o/t Thorn, and No Waywatchers.

Glade Lord: general, Great Stag, light armor, Enchanted Shield, Giant Blade, Talisman of Endurance, Potion of Foolhardiness, Asrai Longbow, Starfire shafts; AS 3+, WS 5++
Glade Captain: BSB, Great Stag, light armor, shield, Dragonhelm, Hail of Doom Arrow, Asrai Spear, Asrai Longbow, Moonfire shafts; AS 3+, WS (2++ vs fire)
Glade Captain: Great Stag, light armor, shield, Helm o/t Hunt, Dragonbane Gem, Potion of Strength, Asrai Spear, Shield. Asrai Longbow, Moonflight shot; AS 3+, WS (2++ vs fire)
Glade Captain: Great Stag, light armor, shield, Trickster's Helm, Asrai Spear, Asrai Longbow, Moonfire shot; AS 3+
Deathweaver: Unicorn; level 4, Book of Ashur, Relic Sword; Opal Amulet; AS 6+ WS (4++);
Spellsinger: Unicorn, Life, Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Ruby Ring of Rhuin; AS 6+
four units of 10 x GG w/musician; all Trueflight Arrows
one unit of 6 x Deepwood Scouts, Trueflight Arrows
one unit of 3 x Warhawk Riders
GE
GE

I believe I'm at exactly 2499 points. Obviously this isn't a competitive list. I think it simply would be fun and a bit of a surprise.
I was thinking of choosing High Magic for Walk Between Worlds. With an 18" march move and Walk Between the Worlds, I could have the cavalry unit in the opponent's backfield on turn one but I don't like making a list that depends on a spell that I might not get or might not be able to cast. I went with Lore of Death primarily for the strength boost in Power of Darkness and and I went with Life primarily for the Lore Attribute. The eagles and Warkhawk Riders should be able to run interference so that the cav unit can get into the backfield by my turn two.
Your thoughts, please.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I'd still try to find a way to throw a unit of 5 Wilds behind that block of characters, remembering that you can 'Make Way' through champions and banners, etc. It gives you a few extra attacks but also gives you a throwaway Champ for challenges, some ablative wounds, and another Banner in the unit.
That, or run those characters as cheap as humanly possible and don't make them into a unit. Run them all separate, like a unit of Skirmishers. That way, a Fireball or 40 double-tapping Skeletal Bowmen can only target one of them, not everybody and their brother with a single use.

My question though, is why so many points on characters at all, when you can build a hard-hitting unit out of Wild Riders and leave it at that?

I mean, if it's not meant to be a tournament or really competitive list, then by all means give it a shot. I imagine it could be a lot of fun, getting to run around with what is basically "character hammer" again. However I doubt that it would be all that successful when compared to other lists with more ranks (steadfast) and more ablative wounds.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd still try to find a way to throw a unit of 5 Wilds behind that block of characters...
I thought mismatched base sizes had to go to the side of the formation.

...don't make them into a unit. Run them all separate...That way, a Fireball or 40 double-tapping Skeletal Bowmen can only target one of them, not everybody and their brother with a single use.
Yea, I thought of that; I can merge and separate them as needed during the game.

My question though, is why so many points on characters at all, when you can build a hard-hitting unit out of Wild Riders and leave it at that?
Three reasons:
1. On another forum, having Wild Riders, Sisters o/t Thorns, and Waywatchers all in your list is thought of as "net listing" and is usually met with a "that's so boring" attitude or even borderline derision.
Of course that's a laughable stance. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that these are some of the best units in the book for what they do and easily fits into every list that is not theme only. One doesn't have to read on the forums that these are good units and why they're good, unlike the noble on eagle build with the old book after the 8th ed BRB errata or the noble with lt armor, shield, HoDA, great wpn, HotH build from the 6th/7th edition era. Those weren't so obvious and most players probably learned about them from other players.

... it's not meant to be a tournament or really competitive list...
I'm hoping the puzzlement on my opponent's face will be reward enough to play this.

3. Of late, it's been tumbleweeds and crickets on LO fantasy forum. I posted simply for a new post and hoping that there would be responses to a non-normal list. I'll post my list that is closer to normal; one that I've been having some good luck with of late. It's more serious than this list, but not terribly more competitive.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I thought mismatched base sizes had to go to the side of the formation.
Only if they don't fit evenly. So the Great Stag is on a 50mil, and will displace 2 Wilds. If he was on a 40mil or a 50x75 he'd have to go alongside because he wouldn't fit evenly into the ranks.

1. On another forum, having Wild Riders, Sisters o/t Thorns, and Waywatchers all in your list is thought of as "net listing" and is usually met with a "that's so boring" attitude or even borderline derision.
Of course that's a laughable stance. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that these are some of the best units in the book for what they do and easily fits into every list that is not theme only. One doesn't have to read on the forums that these are good units and why they're good, unlike the noble on eagle build with the old book after the 8th ed BRB errata or the noble with lt armor, shield, HoDA, great wpn, HotH build from the 6th/7th edition era. Those weren't so obvious and most players probably learned about them from other players.
Yeah, that's laughable.
"You can't take the one only 3 good units in your book, because everyone takes those units! Be original - waste money on useless models and be PROUD to lose your games!!"

3. Of late, it's been tumbleweeds and crickets on LO fantasy forum. I posted simply for a new post and hoping that there would be responses to a non-normal list. I'll post my list that is closer to normal; one that I've been having some good luck with of late. It's more serious than this list, but not terribly more competitive.
It has been crickets. We need to figure out what LO is going to do about AoS/Legacy and go from there. Right now, we're all sort of waffling - there's nobody willing post about 8th, and there's nowhere to post about AoS, so...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts