Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started playing Warhammer this year and have sunk a boat load of money into making a Skaven and Wood Elf army. In a couple weeks I'm going up against a Dark Elf opponent who also only started playing this year. It's going to be a 2500 pt match. I've put my Army list below and would love to hear feedback. My list works well because I actually have these models.

LORDS

Spell Weaver (300 pts)
- Lv 4
- Moonstone of the hidden ways
- Channeling Staff
- Dispel Scroll

HEROS

Drycha (255 pts)

Glade Captin (130 pts)
- BSB
- Hail of Doom Arrow

CORE

Glade Riders x 10 (220 pts)
- True flight arrows

Glade Riders x 10 (220 pts)
- True flight arrows

Dryads x 32 (362 pts)
- Branch Nymph
note: running them in hoard formation

SPECIAL

Wild Wood Rangers x 13 (188 pts)
- Full Leadership
- Lichbone pennant

Deep Wood Scouts x 11 (176 pts)
- Hagbane Tips

RARE

Waywatchers x 10 (200 pts)

Waywatchers x 10 (200 pts)

Treeman (225 pts)

My Spellweaver and Glad Captin would be in the unit of Wild Wood Rangers so you would have 15 units total. I have only played 2 games with my army so far and beat a really crappy High Elf player both times. I would love to hear some feedback as to what you think of my list. And any tips you might have at fighting another ASF army.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Hey there, and welcome to the forum, and Warhammer in general it seems! For starters, it's against forum rules to post up "naked" costs for a unit or model without upgrades (like Drycha up there). I can go ahead and edit those out for you. On from that however, the list actually looks pretty scary. I'm really surpised that you were able to cram so much into your army. There are a few issues, and some things that I might consider sub-optimal in there though.

1) Your 'Singer
She can't have two arcane items (channeling staff and scroll). Also, you need a Wardsave on her. She's your general after all, and a high-value target since she's your primary/only caster. She definitely needs a Ward if she's going into the Rangers, a CC regiment that should be expected to get into a fight at some point.

2) Your Captain
Needs a Wardsave. Just like the 'Singer, he's a valuable target for your opponent, and he's in a combat unit. The fact that he's a 2W, T3 Elf with practically no armor on him... dangerous way to stand around with a big bullseye of a flag in his hand.

3) Drycha
I'm assumed this is for the 'Roused to Wrath' more than anything, right? Be wary of that - because remember that your Glade Riders are also Ambushers and come in as reserves, so there's a good chance that a lot of your army might come in very piecemeal and give your opponents the chance to focus all of their effort on a small portion of your force, without having to worry about the rest of the army (as they normally would).

Other than that I'd say that your Deepwoods are a little small, especially for a character bunker. Also, I'd flip the Hagbanes and the Truflights on your Riders and Scouts. The Scouts can move and fire, and that's one of their better abilities. Sure, the Riders can too, but it's much easier to get the Riders to within half range (offset the -1 for moving). Also, I've found that having lots of Hagbane shots is better than anything.

Others might get on you for the use of Dryads, most folks around here reserve their Special/Rare for the combat units, but I think that you might be on to something, as even our Spec/Rare CC isn't that great.
Against the Dark Elves, I think it will come down to how much shooting he fields. They can potentially outmaneuver and outshoot even Wood Elves, and they're pretty nasty in CC as well. They start off with a bit of an edge, I think, as their book has dedicated units of a higher quality than the Wood Elves in every phase except for Shooting and maybe Movement (where they are more likely tied). If he comes at you with lots of shooting, he'll ice your units as they come onto the table. If he brings lots of CC, he's going to overwhelm your ability to shoot all of it (not enough arrows outbound to kill the guys rushing in) and then wreck you in hand to hand. If he attempts to field a balanced mixture, I think you'll have the game in the bag through careful use of your own shooting, and moving to keep him at arms' length.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CaptainSarathai,

Thank you so much for the reply. I found it really helpful and will use it to work on my list. Also sorry if I broke any forum rules. I still do not understand what you mean when you say "it's against forum rules to post up "naked" costs for a unit or model without upgrades". In the rule book Drycha is just a flat points cost and there is no option to add any upgrades. Any ways please let me know.

Also I was going to take Wood Elf High Magic with the spell singer for the protection tokens. (LORE ATTRIBUTE) Is that enough of a ward save or do I need to put a talisman on her and the nobal?

The plan was to use the 'roused to wrath' so that my army could be all over the map. I want to create as much chaos for this Dark Elf army as possible. I know the risk with it but it's worth it for the fun aspect alone I feel. Plus this is not a list for competing in a tournament. I know that the army I'm going to face will have 20 Dark Shards. I assume they are one of the biggest risks since my units can't really take hits from anything. Other then that I expect 10+ Cold one knights, and then a lot of elite infantry. Should be interesting. Any ways please let me know about that naked posting thing and about what you think I should do to get the ward save. (i.e. what should I take out of the list to get the ward)

Thanks again for all the help and support.

Millear33

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to post the results from my 2500 pt battle vs a dark elf army. I don't have his exact list but I can tell you what I know.

lv4 supreme sorceress (lore of life)

lv4 supreme sorceress (lore of dark magic)

The Dark Elf named character that rides a cold one

Master with BSB

40x Corssairs

20x Dreadspears

10x Dark Shards

10x Dark Shards

10x Cold one knights

Hydra

5x Doomfire warlocks

I did not take detailed notes so this won't be a full battle report but the results was a MASSIVE victory for the wood elves. I completely destroyed every unit he had on the table and I only lost the dryads, treeman, 2x (models) scouts, 3x (models)wild wood rangers. I only deployed the wild wood rangers and the dryads during deployment since everything else was scouts, ambushers, or slumbering. This allowed be the put my 20x waywatchers if a perfect spot to cut up his cold one knights. I got 1st turn and had solid magic. I took high magic and lore of shadow. my dryads charged the dread spears and overran them in turn 2, then then overran into a unit of darkshards and crushed them in combat as well. then the hydra torn them apart from a rear charge. I kept my wild wood rangers out of any trouble with the moonstone of hidden ways until turn 5 when I forest walked right infront of the hydra. Then then killed it in the 1st round of combat. The rest of the game was basically me getting really really awesome rolls on all shooting attacks and an average of 8+ power dice in every magic phase. All in all it was a really fun 3rd game for me with this army. The dryads did their job but I think next time I will only take 18x of them and see if I can fit in a unit of wild riders. Dryads just don't seem to be able to last if combat goes into a 2nd round. Any ways thanks for the tips and I look forward to trying to post a full battle report next time.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Good game sounds like your tactic worked well.

I have to say though at 2.4k points that was a dreadful dark elf force.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts