Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, it has been almost a year since I my Guard army and what was only going to be 1000pts or so, is now eligible for Apocalypse. But while I have collected a sizable army, it has still rarely seen the battlefield. So I come here for some C&C from those in the know and hope to put those comments to use in the near future in a City Fight based campaign that is being planned.

Even though the title says 2500pts, the points of each game will change depending on the current scenario and will be anything from 1000 - 2500. My opponents will generally be another Guard player and Orks, with possibility of Space Wolves and/or Tau thrown in to mix things up a bit.

And so...

HQ
CCS : 165
- Astropath
- Standard
- 3 Grenades
- Chimera w/ hull flamer

Salamander Command Vehicle : 70
- Enclosed Hull

Elite
9 Storm Troopers : 169
- 2 Meltas
- Recon

Troop
Platoon A : 220
- PCS
- Squad 1
- - Grenade
- - Autocannon
- Squad 2
- - Grenade
- - Autocannon
- HWS 1
- - Mortars

Platoon B : 220
- PCS
- Squad 3
- - Grenade
- - Autocannon
- Squad 4
- - Grenade
- - Autocannon
- HWS 2
- - Mortars

Veterans A : 185
- 3 Plasma
- Missile Launcher
- Chimera

Veterans B : 185
- 3 Plasma
- Missile Launcher
- Chimera

Veterans C : 130
- 3 Melta
- Carapace
- Vendetta

Veterans D : 140
- 3 Flamer
- Sergeant harker
- Vendetta

Fast Attack
3 Scout Sentinel : 150
- Autocannon
- Camo netting

2 Hellhound : 280
- Hull flamers
- Dozerblades

2 Vendetta : 260

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Eradicator : 190
- Sponson Flamers
- Hull heavy Bolter
- Dozerblades

Medusa : 140
- Breacher Shells

Total : 2504

Firstly, the Salamander. I know it's not int he codex but I've already had opponent consent to field it using the rules from the Forge World IA1 5th edition update. It's basically a cheap CCS for the lower points games with no actual squad or the weapons that go with it. And the enclosed hull is there as that's how my model is built.
Also, I realise my FA slot is rather crowded and that the Hellhounds and Vendettas are better off as separate units. I'll pick a suitable combo of those depending on the points for the given scenario. In the inevitable 2500pts finale I'll probably leave one to make room for the other and put the points into something else. Ratlings perhaps? a few powerfists?
Basic tactics being employed are to outflank the Vendettas and Sentinels, camp objectives with the platoons and kill the opponent with everything else. Not really much in the way of tactics I know as this is something I was hoping for a bit of insight on.

That's enough ranting for now. Thanks in advance for anything you have to say =D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumping is frowned upon on most forums and I'm guessing it's the same here so I'll try for one more shot at the front page and if there's still no replies after that then fair enough and I'll let it die cuz I don't want to get in the way.

And so, in a feeble attempt to disguise the bump, would I be better off with a Colossus than a Medusa? It does seem more suited to the City Fight environment but aside from the Vendettas, I have very little else to deal with heavy vehicles. Or perhaps take something else entirely? A pair of Hydra to add tot he massed Autocannon fire?
Not sure what else to do really...

So, sorry again for having to resort to bumping, please don't hurt me~ I wont be doing it again.
Cheers!~

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: Good

Elites: Stormies are expensive and I would ditch the meltaguns at least. It's a shame to use metas at tanks and wasting all that AP3 firepower. If you want cheap BS4 meltas with a 4+ save get inquisition storm trooper squads as they are also scoring units.

Troops: Platoons look fine. Add a flamer or two to the PCS if you have points left over at the end. Vets AB&C are fine, I would swap Vet D for a SWS with demo charges and flamers. Harker isn't really worth the points.

Fast: Not sure about camo netting on sentinels but I suppose it is cityfight. Multimeltas on hellhounds gives them a second string to their bow but extra flamers are ok even though you will get assaulted by any survivours. Vendettas should take HB sponsons as they are a cheap upgrade.

Heavy: Drop HF sponsons. No enermy will be daft enough to move into range of them and if you move you only get to fire one. 3HB is best or hull HF and sponson HBs.

I would consider ditching the sentinels for another heavy tank just to free up the FA slots and unsquadron the vendettas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input, I've made an updated list based on some of that.
So to free up some points first of all, I removed the Sentinels and Storm Troopers.
I then made a few changes based on taking the Forward Spotter stratagem on the GW website. I added a Vox to the Command Squad and Platoons. I replaced the Astropath, with a Master of Ordinance. I switched the Medusa for a colossus and took a second to go with it.
Together all that gives me 8 spotter units (Salamander counts as having a Vox by default) to allow 6 mortars, 2 Colossus and the Master of Ordinance to count as twin-linked.
I switched harkers unit for a second melta Vet squad and took 2 special weapon flamer squads to fill the flamer gap. With a handful of points to spare, I added flamers to the PCS and Heavy Stubbers on the Vets Chimeras.
Metlas on the Hellhound seems an interesting idea but as they will be infantry hunting I figured they would be better off with flamers still.

HQ
CCS : 165
- Standard
- 2 Grenades
- Master of Ordinance
- Vox
- Chimera
- - Hull Bolter

Salamander Command Vehicle : 70
- Enclosed Hull
- Heavy Bolter

Troop
Platoon A : 295
- PCS
- - 2 Flamers
- - Vox
- Squad 1
- - Grenade
- - Autocannon
- - Vox
- Squad 2
- - Grenade
- - Autocannon
- - Vox
- HWS 1
- - Mortars
- Special Squad
- - 3 Flamers

Platoon B : 295
- PCS
- - 2 Flamers
- - Vox
- Squad 3
- - Grenade
- - Autocannon
- - Vox
- Squad 4
- - Grenade
- - Autocannon
- - Vox
- HWS 2
- - Mortars
- Special Squad
- - 3 Flamers

Veterans A : 195
- 3 Plasma
- Missile Launcher
- Chimera
- - Hull Bolter
- - Heavy Stubber

Veterans B : 195
- 3 Plasma
- Missile Launcher
- Chimera
- - Hull Bolter
- - Heavy Stubber

Veterans C : 130
- 3 Melta
- Carapace
- Vendetta

Veterans D : 130
- 3 Melta
- Carapace
- Vendetta

Fast Attack
2 Hellhound : 280
- Hull flamers
- Dozerblades

Vendetta : 140
- Heavy Bolters

Vendetta : 140
- Heavy Bolters

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Eradicator : 190
- Sponson Heavy Bolter
- Hull heavy Flamer
- Dozerblades

Collosus : 140

Collosus : 140

Total : 2505

So how does that look now? I'm not entirely sure about the MoO, having a TLed S9 blast means he should crack open pretty much any vehicle it hits or wound almost unit it hits. But as he has to remain still to use it while the CCS he's attached to needs to stay on the move to get where it's needed. So would I be better off keeping the Astropath and getting my Vendetta in a turn sooner?
Cheers again in advance!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.