Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Saturday my local games workshop will be celebrating its 10th Birthday one of the events is a 250pt survival game: Basically multiple players, anything goes and the last one alive on the board wins.

Now for a game like this I would take something more durable like Ork Nobs or Death Guard but since I’m awaiting parts I have to use my guard.
But what to take that is the question?

Here is my completed guard army list to give you a better understanding of what I have available at my disposal: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/imperial-guard-army-lists/100569-1500pts-grot-rebellion-guard-army.html#post975786

So far I can only come up with two ideas on what to use.
The first is to gather as many guardsmen together and form a conscript unit with an independent commissar herding them at the back.
The second is a Techpriest with some servitors and a Leman Russ.

Any ideas on what I can take in this very small list?

·
Registered
762 Posts
well lets see... at 250 points you could grab 2 leman russes with heavy bolters for exactly 250 points (i think...) you could try to keep them back to back so only the front and sides are showing.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Mortarteams. Maybe not three but one or two and then something to protect them.
It's also a good idea to use infiltrate if that is an option.

I used a unit in my LatD that I think never got killed, ever.

One mortar
One sniper
two redshirts.

Placed them behind some hard cover, out of the way from all of them evil people and just...mortared.

I also think you might want to avoid using Conscripts as they will becom quite a huge unit, attracting a lot of attention from your opponents. Better to have something they won't recognize as a threat and let them kill each other of while you are safe in cover.

But you should also have something that can protect them against fast moving CC-units. Rough Riders comes to mind.

So maybe something like
10 RoughRiders (2x5, with lances of course)
1 Mortar team
5 Veterans 1 good gun (flamer, melta or Plasma)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would personally run a squad of 6 Ogryns, one of them would be a bone head and mount them up in a chimera with turret multi-laser, hull heavy bolter and extra armor. Just stay clear of strength 8+ weapons.

:)

18 wounds, leadership 9, and a solid taxi, all for 250 points.

·
Treadhead with a Chainaxe
1,805 Posts
The first is to gather as many guardsmen together and form a conscript unit with an independent commissar herding them at the back.
I fully support this idea. 52 wounds are a pain to get rid of, even if they have the statline of a guardsman.

EDIT: Either that, or 10 plague marines, or as many necron Immortals you can field for 250p.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
conscripts are a great idea,
even if it's a big unit and attracts attention. that attention can also be a deterance since most other 250 point units will spend their entire time too swamped in body parts to do anything else if they try taking your mass meatblob head-on (/apply directly to the forehead).

·
975 Posts
I dont know the rules of composition for your army. But in a game like this I would assume that you use combat patrol rules. So no units with good saves like terminators and no big tanks. So this leaves light infatry up to meqs and light vehicals. Plus if its a survival game is there neutral units like store controlled endless mobs heading at everyone. Or no?

If no to the store controlled units and its just a slug fest between multiple players then here is what you need to do. (My 2 brothers, my cousin, and my brother's friend do this all the time.) You need to be able to take out enemy units without putting yours at too much risk. So big guns and lots of wounds.

I would take a standard infantry plattoon. You will have a lot more models and guns than any other army at this level. You will likely see a single sm vet squad running accosed the board all having 50 points of wargear on them.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
here's another two plans of attack in addition to the mass-infantry tactic:

1. indirect... two basilisks or at least one and 125 points worth of protection for it. make an alliance/pact/truce with the guys the setup next/adjacent to you and rain indirect template hell on everyone across the board. hell, even if the guys next to you don't agree, nothing like 2 direct-fire earthshaker rounds to make them regret that decision (and you'll probably be able to create a nice buffer zone from that as well as a nice display of force to deter others from trying to get near you)

2. melee... if the game ends up being 12-20 players on a 6*4 board then how about 8-10 ogryns (maybe spare the points for a commissar or priest) or 3-4 small rough rider squads w/ hunting lances.

the problem with, mass infantry is even if you take out the guys to you left and right, you lack the mobility/range to get all the rest of the enemies out or range/sight. so with rough riders fleet of hoof + cavalry charge or artillery indirect, imperial guard wrath becomes available to all.

either way, as implied in a battle of this type, don't expect to survive or win, which is the best bet anyways. just make plans to make everyone else (either near from cc/lance attacks or far from earthshaker templates) suffer as much as possible. personnally, i'd say basilisks provide more repeat punches than the limited one-time rider lance charges. course as with anything, it could all go to crap early in game and a couple lucky shots or long-moves/charges could see those two basilisks blown up by the end of turn 1-2.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
What about a whole bunch of last chancers? At least this way you can get a lot more units on the board, making shooting at your dudes much less appealing than all the other opponent's larger units.

Also, you can get high balistic skill special weapons, or even a whole bunch of demolition charges (if you can quickly model them up for the game, had a look at your list).

Just use your Grotsnik dude as 'counts as' Schaeffer, and go from there! Should be perfectly legal.

Just as another idea, anyway.

·
First Tiger
149 Posts
What about a whole bunch of last chancers?
Hell yes! Ok, no more exclamation points... Point being, you can divide the Chancers up into five groups so take guys with demo charges and then sink the rest of your points into support for Schaeffer and Kage, maybe a bunch of plasma gunners. Just keep the main core away from everyone else and deepstrike the demo charges on everyone. It may not be greatly effective, but man there would be fireworks.

You could get Schaeffer, Kage, three chancers with two plasma guns and 3 deepstriking demo charge chancers for 251 points. Course, considering the rate at which plasma gunners kill themselves you might take grenade launchers or flamers. Oh, and they have infiltrate and are fearless too. Might be fun.

·
596 Posts
Basically multiple players, anything goes and the last one alive on the board wins.
Nice rule set.

Diplomacy will be key here. Everyone will gang up on the armies that are perceived to be of the greatest threat and try to mop up the weaker armies later on.

Personally, I would take a full squad of Vets with carapace, missile launcher, 3x grenade launchers and a power weapon and bolt pistol for the sgt. Put them all in a Chimera with smoke, EA and a pintle mounted heavy stubber.
I would use my mobility to pick the battles that suite me and constantly remind my opponents how meager my single squad and transport are.

However, for some cheese, take 4 sentinal squads with improved coms and drop troops. Use the improved coms to reroll successful reserves rolls so they deep strike into the game after your opponents have weakened each other.

·
Registered
530 Posts
5 Cadian Pattern Sentinels FTW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts