Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't played in a couple years, but here's my first shot. Advice?
2746 O&G LORD & HEROES 647

Orc Warboss 118
Add'l hand weapon (Troll-sitter)

Night Goblin Warboss 123 G.
Cave squig Spear Terrifying Mask of EEE! (To accompany Squig Hoppers)

Goblin Warboss 92
Wolf
Spear
Light armor
Shield (To accompany Wolf Riders)

Night Goblin Warboss 64
Great weapon
Light armor (To accompany big block of Night Goblins)
Night Goblin Great Shaman
(To accompany big block of Night Goblins)
N. Goblin shaman 75
Dispel Scroll (To accompany big block of Night Goblins)

CORE 689
55 N. Goblins 315
Full Command Spears
3 Fanatics Netters

30 N. Goblins 175
Musician
Short Bows
3 Fanatics
13 Goblin Wolf Riders 199
Full Command
Spears
Short Bows
Shields

SPECIAL 975

21 Black Orcs 305
Full Command Shields
Orc Boar Chariot
Goblin Wolf Chariot

5 Orc Boar Boyz 105
Shields
Champion

21 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers 252

5 Trolls

RARE 435
2 Goblin Doom Diver Catapults 160

Giant

Snotling Pump Wagon 75
Spiky roller
Giant explodin' spores

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
The lords and heroes will die very fast, not a lot of armour and no ward saves. Also you can't post the point cost of units like the chariots it should show
Wolf chariot xx
same with the trolls as there is no upgrades to them.
Any way I would also think that the army is very, very eclectic in terms of just the sheer variety of models being used, not a bad thing but might be a bit too much going on and with fanatics about the chance of some friendly units getting splatted is high.
Vs the empire if they go heavy shooting you will struggle, hope they go for an armoured cav list as the doom divers, trolls(5 is too few 8 is good), fanatics and the pump wagon armour is no issue.
My warriors army would struggle against so much that hate armour. Anyway I hope some of the advise helps and good luck.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I haven't played in a couple years, but here's my first shot. Advice?

Welcome back to the awesomeness of Orcs and Goblins!

2746 O&G

LORD & HEROES 647

Orc Warboss 118
Add'l hand weapon
(Troll-sitter)##
You don't need to have your general sit with the Trolls for them to benefit from his Leadership. Simply have them within 12" and they can use his inspiring presence. I'd aslo look at grabbing this guy some equipment. I go with the Talisman of Preservation and Glittering Scales or armour of Silvered steel. Your general is one of, if not THE, most important models in your army as so many of your units require his LD to be effective. Protect this guy at all costs.

Night Goblin Warboss 123
G. Cave squig
Spear
Terrifying Mask of EEE!
(To accompany Squig Hoppers)

Goblin Warboss 92
Wolf
Spear
Light armor
Shield
(To accompany Wolf Riders)
Could be fun. Maybe grab something sneaky on him like the Sword of Striking at the potion of Might. It can be great fun for smacking the odd Steam Tank or monster.

Night Goblin Warboss 64
Great weapon
Light armor
Looks ok but you could really do with a BSB in your list, especially with Trolls. I'd rather have an orc holding the BSB as they're harder to kill but this is up to you. A 4+ Ward or 2+ Save would be great on the BSB.

Night Goblin Great Shaman 175

N. Goblin shaman 75
Dispel Scroll

CORE 689

55 N. Goblins 315
Full Command
Spears
3 Fanatics
Netters

30 N. Goblins 175
Musician
Short Bows
3 Fanatics

13 Goblin Wolf Riders 199
Full Command
Spears
Short Bows
Shields

How are you running these? 7x2? Maybe ditch a few models and just have them as a 6x2 (ie 11+Lord)? They might not be greatly effective though. Maybe grab 2 5 man units each with a big boos on instead? 2 units give you more tactical options.

SPECIAL 975

21 Black Orcs 305
Full Command
Shields

These guys really need to be bigger. At this point level you should really be looking at a 30man unit. I run a unit of 42 (7x6) Big'uns and that works wonders. It's a big investment but it needs to be done.

Orc Boar Chariot

Goblin Wolf Chariot

5 Orc Boar Boyz 105
Shields
Champion
I'd look at ditching these lads. They might be fun but they're expensive and you need the points to bulk those Black Orcs out.

21 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers 252
Could be fun!

5 Trolls
You need more Trolls here. I think 8 really is the magic number for Trolls. It's cheap, it's dead 'ard and it pretty much kills anything. 12 is awesome as well though and I plan to make my own unit 12 strong soon :D. 5 is OK as a support unit but you need another hammer/line breaker to help those black Orcs out so make this unit bigger.

RARE 435

2 Goblin Doom Diver Catapults 160

Giant

Snotling Pump Wagon 75
Spiky roller
Giant explodin' spores
I think you've got a little too much spent on character to be honest and that has sucked far too many points away from the rest of your list. Character-wise you really only need a LD9 General, a LVL4 and a BSB. Anything else should be added on once you've got your Anvils and Hammers sorted out. You're list at the moment is relying heavily on a small Black Orc unit to do the majority of your killing and they simply don't have the numbers to do it. Ditch some of the unnecessary characters and units (boarboyz) and bulk up your Trolls and Black Orcs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were short on time so we agreed on a reduced list, he brought 2 mortars, 2 cannons, a rocket battery, 3 Hochland longrifles(for sniping characters, and a celestial hurricanum with a level 4 on it.
Also:

50 Halberds
- 20 swordsmen detachment

3 units of handgunners

10 block of knights

5 pistoliers

It was looking pretty rough right from the start, but this is what I ended up running:

2250 O&G

LORD & HEROES 512

Orc Warboss
Warboar
(Troll-sitter)
This guy and the trolls ate the unit of knights and smushed a cannon, the general heroically dodged almost every Hochland longrifle, but was eventually killed by lightning from the Hurricanum

Night Goblin Warboss
G. Cave squig
Spear
Terrifying Mask of EEE!
(To accompany Squig Hoppers)
-this did not turn out well, beat everyone to the unit of Halberds(everyone being: both chariots, the giant and the pump wagon) and ate it pretty hard because of the rider's ws of 2 and fled.

Night Goblin Great Shaman
- earned his points back in dispels alone, also provided soft cover and Gork'll fix it VERY reliably.

N. Goblin shaman
Dispel Scroll
- scroll caddy, and rolled a 6 for extra power die EVERY TIME.

CORE

60 N. Goblins
Full Command
Spears
3 Fanatics
Netters
- eventually reached combat, after weathering every single mortar blast that missed the black orcs(all of them), routed the swordsmen almost immediately.

30 N. Goblins
Musician
Short Bows
3 Fanatics
-fanatic-ed the pistoliers and the knights, very little else.

SPECIAL

25 Black Orcs
Full Command
Shields
- failed 3 charges in a row, never saw combat, lost 15 models to extremely heavy war machine fire and LOTS of magic, made 85% of armor saves.

Orc Boar Chariot
- never saw combat, poor placement on my part

Goblin Wolf Chariot
- shot to death after squig hoppers routed

24 Night Goblin Squig Hoppers
-killed 10 Halberds, lost anyway, rolled a 12 ld, fled.

5 Trolls
-my opponent mostly ignored the trolls until, to his horror, they vomited on and routed(and caught) his knights

RARE

Giant
-eventually made it to Halberds, absolutely no firepower was directed at him, swung with club, rolled a 1, wounded. Lost combat, fell backwards.

Snotling Pump Wagon
Spiky roller
Giant explodin' spires
- overrun-ed into by swordsmen chasing squigs, attempted to flee so I could come back with impact hits, destroyed anyway.

Sorry about the impromptu battle report/long reply, but both I and my opponent learned a lot.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Thanks for the Report mate. Why do you think did/didn't work for you? Ideas on a new list?

-this did not turn out well, beat everyone to the unit of Halberds(everyone being: both chariots, the giant and the pump wagon) and ate it pretty hard because of the rider's ws of 2 and fled
Just making sure. Do you mean they failed to kill anything or he killed lots of you? When you roll against a model with 2 sets of WS, like Cavalry, you roll against the highest WS. So your mates Halberds would be hitting against the Hoppers WS4, not the WS2 of the Goblins.

Giant
-eventually made it to Halberds, absolutely no firepower was directed at him, swung with club, rolled a 1, wounded. Lost combat, fell backwards.
Did you remember your Thunder Stomp/Stubborn rules? If you fled on Stubborn LD10 that's pretty unlucky. With a BSB he should have been there for a very long time (hint hint)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I also forgot to mention we had to cut the game at turn 3.

His Halberds/Swordsmen killed all but 6 Hoppers + the boss, of course he was rolling against ws2. He was adamant that you always roll against the rider, I'll bring that up.

The giant has to test for Fall Down whenever he loses combat, doesn't he? Before the break test? And yes, I completely forgot about Thunderstomp.

As far as the list goes, my field was waaaay too crowded, that combined with the many Impassable/dangerous terrain meant that only a staggered and broken line reached his.

I brought the boar chariot because the wolf chariot seemed too fragile, I'll be taking only one or the other from now on, since he has now sworn to focus-fire every troll he sees.

I'll be taking larger blocks of Black Orcs and Trolls, smaller units of Hoppers, and maybe a second Giant next time.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
hi there. might i add a little thing? it's a detail really.

The Squigboss has a terrifying mask of Eeee which gives terror.
Terror tests are taken only when you declare a charge, while random move units don't do that sort o stuff.Your enemy will not ever make Terrortests this way.
Your hoppers are already ItP, so the mask does not do much :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I really just wanted to roll against ws1. I shall remove the mask.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Regarding Borak's comment: the WS 4 bit is not true, actually, you always roll against rider's WS. BRB p. 82:
Similarly, it is the rider's Weapon Skill that is used for the purposes of the enemy rolling to hit — the mount's Weapon Skill is used only when the mount strikes blows. We assume the rider to be in complete control of his mount, so the mount's Leadership is never used, unless a special rule states otherwise.
But another rule seems wrong - you cannot declare a Flee reaction with Pump Wagon, because it is Unbreakable, and so, Immune to Psychology (BRB p. 71).

I would certainly take a Charmed Shield on your general. It's not even a price of two NGoblins and can save you from a cannonball.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Miko, well blow me. You learn something new every day!! Maybe I was thinking Chariots?

AGnemmi, I find chariot always work best in pairs to be honest. Have them run around together and charge enemy units together - which means you're average impact hits is less reliant on luck. As for Wolf Chariots being flimsy, well, they are but they're almost half the cost of an Orc chariot so for 2 Orc chariots you can get 3 Gobbo chariots and have some spare points left. Gobbo chariots still do as much damage as an Orc chariot as well.

Maybe bring TWO 12 man units of Trolls :D See how he likes that eh? It's only 840pts, which is nothing for a 3k game.... although it might hurt your wallet a bit. Oh, and one other thing. If your mate likes lots of artillery. Grab the Iron Curse Icon. It's dead cheap and if it saves one Orcs like then it's paid for itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts