Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my army for an upcoming campaign its either use this list or go with a southlands army as I don't have many figures or much cash or time as the campaign is on the 28th

2nd generation slann with diadem of power and divine plaque of protection

15 lizardmen with shields, standard, champion
15 temple guard with standard and champion
17 skinks with javelins and shields

3 kroxigor
1 stegadon
5 cold ones with champion and standard

2 salamander hunting packs

1997 points

what do you think?

·
764 Posts
But I think you can use from 1-3 packs as one unit, correct? So in 2000 pts. you could have up to six salamander packs in 2 units as your 2 rare choices(He could have up to 3 packs as 1 unit because of his Slann).

As far as the list goes, do you have other models to use or is this everything you have to work with? I ask because your unit sizes seem a little different to me. I would suggest the Temple Guard in a unit of 16 to make the full block with your Slann. Also, I suggest Saurus in units of 20(5x4), 18(6x3), or 12(6x2) as they seem to work best for me anyway. The skinks would also benefit from 3 more to split into 2 squads of 10, 1 for the Krox screen and 1 for scouting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i was trying to do this off the top of my head as i left my book at my mums

my actual

2nd generation slann with diadem of power and divine plaque of protection

15 temple guard with standard and champion
17 skinks with javelins and shields

3 kroxigor
5 cold ones with champion and standard

1 stegadon

and you can have 3 salamanders per pack which is only one rare choice, but i'm not using them, i've taken the steg and a 2nd genn slann

it massacred a dwarf army last night :)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The only critiques I have for your list are concerning your Saurus and Temple Guard.

15 Saurus might struggle to receive a charge and survive against some harder hitting units (mainly cav). 20 might serve you better in each block. And the Temple Guard are only 15 strong. With the Slann they are 19 strong. I'd try to find one more so you get 20 strong and get your last rank bonus.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know where your coming from but that means trimming everything else :S

The slann doesn't add towards the rank bonus, if you read the palanquin (spelt right?) rules you count the ranks as if he wasn't there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know where your coming from but that means trimming everything else :S

The slann doesn't add towards the rank bonus, if you read the palanquin (spelt right?) rules you count the ranks as if he wasn't there.
No, you count the ranks as if he was four models- the spaces he takes up. So 8 Saurus plus a Slann counts as two ranks, and 11 Saurus plus a Slann counts as three.

I've found that Temple Guard are a bit overpriced. Stubborn is all right, but it's not as useful as you might think. As far as combat effectiveness, they're not all that much better than normal Saurus, and a whole lot more expensive.

I approve of your javelin skinks. If anything, you might want a second unit.

Kroxigors may say they are unit size 3+, but that's a typo. You want them in units of 4. Always always always. Trust me. A unit of three is like heavy cavalry: they can beat units from the side, or take down skirmishers and such. A unit of four can front-charge elite melee troops and win.

Depending on what you're fighting, the Plaque of Protection may or may not be needed. I used to take it, but I've started leaving it off. You might want to take it for the first few games against a certain opponent. Once they learn the futility of shooting at a T5 W8 model with a 2+ ward save, most just stop trying. Then you can move the points to something else, with no one the wiser. Or you can just leave it off to begin with- a 4+ ward save is fine, and it still takes a lot of firepower to pull down a Slann.

Regardless, you want to spend the few extra points for a Plaque of Tepok. A 2nd gen Slann, especially with the Diadem, sometimes runs out of spells before he runs out of dice, even if all his spells are useful. When you consider that some spells won't be useful every round, or even castable, it helps to have that sixth spell to choose from. And remember, you can take both the Plaque of Tepok and Plaque of Protection, if you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts