Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess who's baaaack! I've been waiting with baited breath for the new codex and I have to say I generally like it. Therefore here is my new 2K list for y'all to pick apart.

Commander Brea'Rios; Cyclic Ion Blaster, TL Missile Pod, Velocity Tracker, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Neuroweb System Jammer (157)
Crisis Bodyguard Te'Reus; Repulsor Impact Field, TL Plasma Rifle, Flamer, 2 Shield Drones (91)
Fireblade Duun'An (60 )

6 Fire Warriors; Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)

2 Crisis suits; 2 TL Fusion Blasters, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock (104)
2 Crisis suits; 2 TL Fusion Blasters, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock (104)
3 Crisis suits; 3 Plasma Rifles, 3 Burst Cannons, Advanced Targeting Systems (150 )

10 Pathfinders; Pulse Accelerator Drone, 1 Ion Rifle (135)
Devilfish; Disruption Pod, 2 Seeker Missiles (111)
5 Pathfinders; Grav-inhibitor Drone, 3 Rail Rifles, Shas'ui with 2 Marker Drones (149)
5 Pathfinders; Grav-inhibitor Drone, 3 Rail Rifles, Shas'ui with 2 Marker Drones (149)

2 Broadsides; Velocity Trackers, TL High Yield Missile Pods, TL Smart Missiles, 2 Shield Drones (194)
Hammerhead; Ion Cannon, Disruption Pod (140 )
Hammerhead; Ion Cannon, Disruption Pod (140 )

Brownie points if you can guess which movie inspired me to take up a Tau force...

Fireblade goes with the large Pathfinder unit in the devilfish, giving them a nice Assault 30 at 24" range thanks to the drone. Her split fire rule also lets the Ion rifle pick a separate target.
I know some of you will be screaming at me WHY NO RAILGUNS! Well basically they get one shot, Ion Cannons get 3 or overload to a large blast at S8 AP3. Bye-bye MEQs. I have Crisis Teams deep-striking to take out armour. The third team is specifically to take out elite infantry and HQs. I initially equipped the Commander with double twin-linked Burst Cannons, but with a Neurochip it seemed best to turn him into a dedicated monster/flyer/transport hunter. I just know that Hive Tyrants and Daemon Princes etc will be everywhere and gunning for him so the higher Str weapons give a better chance of wounding, especially with re-rolls. He and his bodyguard can now potentially take out a Great Unclean One in one turn with good rolls.

How does it look? Any glaring issues?

·
Registered
194 Posts
A few things to suggest:

1) Don't take a Fireblade. His Split Fire rule only allows himself to fire at a separate target, not the squad. His Volley Fire only works when the squad is stationary, which when deploying from the Devilfish, they won't be. Consider taking an Ethereal to do the similar things and add a Leadership Bubble to all your infantry and suits, or just don't replace the Fireblade.

2) For the Pathfinder squads, I would recommend EITHER trying to take smallish squads to get those special weapons, or leaving them barebones to get those markerlight shots in. Combining the two (unless you have Darkstrider), isn't worth it. Think about it, are you really going to be shooting at the same target with your Rail Rifles as your Markerlights all the time? You don't want to waste shots.

Other than that, there are just stylistic choices where we differ (i.e. Crisis suit loadouts).
Generally a good list, and hope I helped out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the feedback!

About what you said: firstly the Fireblade's Split Fire rule allows any one model in his unit to shoot at a different target if they pass a Ld test, I checked the wording in the rulebook. Unless they've FAQ'd it.

Thanks for pointing out the volley fire thing, I didn't spot that. Still I was planning to have them camp in cover and not move after turn 2, so it's not a huge deal. Their main purpose it to sit on a flank and divert foot traffic into the main gun line.

You're probably right about the pathfinder loadouts, I gave the small squads the rail rifles as the potential to take out half a MEQ squad per turn is tempting, but as it's not their primary role I suppose I could lose them and the marker drones and divert the points elsewhere.

So what Crisis loadouts would you go for? Considering I need a couple of anti-armour squads...

Incidentally, does anyone know if when a model has a target lock, can his drones fire at whatever he targets or do they have to fire with the rest of the unit? I'm guessing they have to go with the unit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My bad on the Split Fire rule, I assumed incorrectly.

The Target Lock description specifically says that the model with it can shoot a different target, so no drones.

As for suits, I run Plasma + Fusion + Vectored Thrusters with 2 or so Shield drones. I haven't tried your loadout, it should be fine though.
As for the Plasma + Burst Cannon squad, I don't particularly like combining Anti-Heavy and -Light infantry weapons, I might go for Missile Pods or more Fusions.

The suit loadout is personal preference though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I never really considered vectored thrusters, that could be a good idea.

How does this sound;

3 suits with burst cannons (1TL), 2 flamers, vectored thrusters, shield drones (main gunline support)
2 suits with fusion blasters, plasma rifles and advanced targeting systems (vs armour/HQs) x2

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK re-thunk the list:

Commander Brea'Rios (Warlord); Cyclic Ion Blaster, TL Missile Pod, Velocity Tracker, Puretide Engram Neurochip, 2 Shield Drones (179)

Commander Duun'An; Dual TL Plasma Rifle, Neuroweb System Jammer, 2 Shield Drones (151)
Zeta & Theta; 2 Crisis Bodyguard with TL Plasma Rifles, Flamers, Repulsor Impact Field (124)

Alpha Team; 6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)
Beta Team; 6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)
Gamma Team; 6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)
Delta Team; 6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)

Sigma Team; 2 Crisis Suits with TL Fusion Blasters, 1 Target Lock, Shas'vre Te'Reus with Onager Gauntlet (104)
Riptide Omicron; Ion Accelerator, TL Fusion Blasters, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override (210 )
Riptide Omega; Ion Accelerator, TL Fusion Blasters, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override (210 )

Chi Team; 5 Pathfinders with Ion Rifle (65)
Phi Team; 5 Pathfinders with Ion Rifle (65)
Xi Team; 5 Pathfinders with 3 Rail Rifles (100 ), Devilfish with Disruption Pod, Sensor Spines, 2 Seeker Missiles (116)

Mu & Nu; 2 Broadsides with TL High Yield Missile Pods, TL Smart Missile Systems, Velocity Trackers (170 )
Broadside Epsilon; Shas'vre with TL Heavy Rail Rifle, TL Plasma Rifle, Advanced Targeting System, Shield Drone (95)
Broadside Upsilon; Shas'vre with TL Heavy Rail Rifle, TL Plasma Rifle, Advanced Targeting System, Shield Drone (95)

A few nice bonuses with this setup, not least of which is the 2 Broadsides Shas'vre's, as characters (see the codex reference sheet if in doubt), get Precision Shots with their twin-linked Rail Rifles on a 5+...Any MEQ/TEQ character not in cover or on a bike runs the risk of instant death at 60"!
Also anything that tries to Deep Strike anywhere near the two Riptides is in for a nasty shock. They should pretty much cover half a board each, and are a good replacement for the Hammerheads, if half again as expensive...

Brea'Rios deploys with the Missile Broadsides, giving them Monster/Tank Hunter. See that Bloodthirster...oh wait, no you don't.

Looking better? I think my maths are all good.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Why the decision on fusion blasters over plasma? Not saying its bad or wrong just wondering. I might go with plasma because of the rapid fire since most other things can pop open tanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks D_K!

Ekalbs: the reason I went with a specific Fusion team over Plasma is simple - this list will struggle against Land Raiders. At the moment the strongest weapon in my arsenal is S9, which will only glance a LR on a 5 and won't do much vs 4 hull points unless I have some very lucky rolls. I'd much rather have a team that can deep strike in close and use melta blasts to destroy hard targets in a single turn. If that fails then I can - reasonably safely - charge in to finish it off with an Onager hit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The reason I recommend Fusion + Plasma is because you will end up being more versatile and gaining more shots at targets other than just heavy AV. If you are worried about accuracy, remember that Pathfinders can boost the squads BS to make up for the lack of Twin-Linked.

If you are super concerned about Land Raiders ruining your day, consider taking a Longstrike Hammerhead with a Railgun. That's a Str10 shot at BS5 with Tank Hunters; very powerful and effective at dealing with high AV.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Im sorry i mean to specify on the X104. But i guess that still applies. And long strike is alot of fun, i just played my buddy with the new codex and he was mad when the hammerhead overwatched and overwatched and kept going.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand your point about plasma + fusion, it is a good combination. And Longstrike rocks. I have a couple of issues though;
Firstly, cost. Points-wise, a Hammerhead with Longstrike costs considerably more than a Fusion team, which I can't afford, nor do I have a spare HS slot if I want to keep my 'snipersides'.
Secondly with the right terrain a good tank commander can stay out of Longstrike's LOS, whereas an essentially throwaway Fusion team can Deep Strike wherever they like. Having TL also means I can use my markerlights on other targets.
Lastly I try not to include special characters if possible so I can keep my team more individual and unique.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I suppose there's something to be said about giving the Riptides TL Plasma instead of Fusion, and it's free (I think) so I can chop and change them during playtesting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A couple of minor changes:

Commander Brea'Rios (Warlord); Cyclic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, Target Lock, Velocity Tracker, Puretide Engram Neurochip, 2 Shield Drones (179)

Commander Duun'An; Dual TL Plasma Rifle, Shield Drone (137)
Zeta & Theta; 2 Crisis Bodyguard with TL Plasma Rifles, Flamers, Repulsor Impact Field (124)

Alpha Team; 6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)
Beta Team; 6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)
Gamma Team; 6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)
Delta Team; 6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui with Markerlight and Target Lock (79)

Sigma Team; 2 Crisis Suits with 3 Fusion Blasters, TL Fusion Blaster, Target Lock (114)
Riptide Omicron; Ion Accelerator, TL Plasma Rifles, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override (210 )
Riptide Omega; Ion Accelerator, TL Plasma Rifles, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override (210 )

Chi Team; 5 Pathfinders, Shas'ui with Ion Rifle (75)
Phi Team; 5 Pathfinders, Shas'ui with Ion Rifle (75)
Devilfish with Disruption Pod (95)
Xi Team; 2 Tetras, Target Lock (105)

Mu & Nu; 2 Broadsides with TL High Yield Missile Pods, TL Smart Missile Systems, Velocity Trackers (170 )
Broadside Epsilon; Shas'vre with TL Heavy Rail Rifle, TL Plasma Rifle, Advanced Targeting System, Shield Drone (95)
Broadside Upsilon; Shas'vre with TL Heavy Rail Rifle, TL Plasma Rifle, Advanced Targeting System, Shield Drone (95)

I'm still not quite happy with the pathfinders' equipment, I might change them around a bit. What's a good squad size for a start?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Overhauled, much more refined, deadlier.

HQ - Commander Brea'Rios (Warlord) - 155
Cyclic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, Target Lock, Velocity Tracker, Puretide Engram Neurochip

HQ - Commander Duun'An - 132
Dual Plasma Rifles, Burst Cannon, Counterfire Defence Systems, Neuroweb System Jammer

(HQ) - Zeta & Theta - 134
2 Crisis Bodyguard, dual Burst Cannons, Plasma Rifles

Troops - Alpha Team - 64
6 Fire Warriors inc. Shas'ui

Troops - Beta Team - 64

Troops - Gamma Team - 64

Troops - Delta Team - 64

Troops - Rho Team - 117
16 Kroot, sniper rounds, 1 Kroot Hound

Elites - Kappa Team - 134
2 Crisis Suits with dual Fusion Blasters, Plasma Rifles

Elites - Riptide Omicron - 210
Ion Accelerator, TL Plasma Rifles, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override

Elites - Riptide Omega - 210
Ion Accelerator, TL Plasma Rifles, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override

Fast Attack - Chi Team - 105
2 Pathfinder Tetras, Target Lock

Fast Attack - Phi Team - 105
2 Pathfinder Tetras, Target Lock

Fast Attack - Xi Team - 132
7 Pathfinders, Shas'ui with Rail Rifle, 2 Ion Rifles

Heavy Support - Epsilon & Upsilon - 194
2 Broadsides with TL High Yield Missile Pods, TL Smart Missile Systems, Velocity Trackers, 2 Shield Drones

Heavy Support - Sigma Team - 116
Sniper Drone Team inc 6 Sniper Drones, 2 Spotters

1 - 15 of 15 Posts