Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CORE:

Chosen Knights Undivided x5, Full Command (275)
Upgraded to Full Command to make up for attack lost by downgrading character to Exalted

Joined by Exalted Champion of Chaos Undivided (150)
Gaze of the Gods
Shield, Flail, Barded Steed
Downgraded for reasons noted below...

Marauder Horsemen x5, Musician, Flail (81)

Marauder Horsemen x5, Musician, Flail (81)

Sorceror of Chaos, Lv 1, Staff of Sorcery, Chariot of Chaos (295)

Warhounds of Chaos x9 (can't give points)
Joined by Sorceror of Chaos, Lv 1, Dispel Scroll x2, Barded Steed (191)

Sorcerer protection schemes as discussed below taking pressure off my Marauder Horsemen; size of Hound screen unit with Sorcerer = 10, so minimizes chance of Sorcerer being picked off by shooting, and gives hounds a Ld boost.

SPECIAL:

Flesh Hounds of Khorne x6 (can't give)

Mounted Daemonettes of Slaanesh x5 (can't give)
Had to drop one to make points room for the Hound screen unit

Screamers of Tzeentch x5 (can't give)

RARE:

Fiend of Slaanesh x2 (150)

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, Great Weapon, Light Armor (306)

Total = 1994 points

As you might guess from the list, this army is all about disruption and fast movement. The only thing that really bothers me is that I only have two real hitters: the Chosen Knights and the Shaggoth. Everything else is really fast, and if they hit flank charges should be alright on their own, but only the Knights and Shaggoth look like they can make unassisted frontal charges against any kind of heavy unit. The whole army is actually pretty fast, slowest units are actually the two hitters @ M7 and the hound screen unit holding my scroll caddy, everything else is M8 or better.

Comments and constructive criticism?

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Im pretty sure the Sorcs can join the Marus and still be fast Cav, and reforming will put no limits on magic use, except changine their limited Line of Sight.

Shaggoth is an awesome model, and iif that why you want him, then keep him. However i think generally 4 Dragon Ogres are better for the same points.

Although small, the rest looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Phoenix... apparently not much interest, but I got some advice on another forum, so I'll update the list above to reflect that, and abstract some of the discussion here to explain...

There's actually a better solution to the issue than placing them with the Marauder Horsemen... Staff carrier in a chariot, scroll caddy in a unit of 9 hounds. Allows me to screen for my ultra expensive Knights, gives my hounds a LD boost so they don't run away before they are supposed to, and gives the Sorcerer someplace to hide with shooting protection and Lookout Sir.

To make room, I'm downgrading the Lord to an Exalted, mostly because Gaze of the Gods with a 2+ armor save is going to be sufficient to keep him alive, since he should almost always be charging and killing things (ie. NOT charging a Dragon... that's what a Shaggoth is for!)... and cutting one of the Mounted Daemonettes.

Besides the addition of the hounds and the chariot (and dropping the associated Sorcerer's barded steed of course), the only other new bit is a Champion for those Chosen Knights to make up a bit for the loss of attacks from losing the Lord.

I've never played with Dragon Ogres before, as I don't have any, but I've been told on numerous occasions that the Shaggoth is better and I shouldn't waste my money on them; would love to hear some counter-argument to that since you happen to prefer the Dragon Ogres.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Interesting, Sorc with warhounds. The Exhalted downgrade i can understand.

As for the Shaggoths, the general opinion as far as ive see is that 4 Dragon Ogres are better.
For about the same points, 300 or so, you can either have a Shaggoth. 6 wounds, 5 attacks, Str 6, 8 with a GW. I think thats right anyway, from memory, dont have the book with me.
Or, you have 4 Dragon Ogres. 16 Wounds all together, 12 Attacks, S7 with GWs. Their save is 1 worse, but the huge excess of wounds more than make up for that i think.
Also, compared to other large models, giants etc, a Shaggoth is really expensive. Should get a reduction when Beasts get redone though i think, whenever that will be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.