Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I normally play Ogres, but wanted to give them squishy DE a try.
Here is what i was planning to put down for a friendly 2k.

Known Enemies: Ogres, Dwarfs, Lizardmen and pesky High Elves.

Dreadlord
* Heavy Armor,
*Sea Dragon Cloak
*Obsidian Blade
*Enchanted Shield
*Talismand of Preservation

19 BlackGuards
*Banner

Sorceress,
*lvl 2 Dark magic

19 BlackGuards
*Banner

20 Darkshards
*Banner
*Musician

20 Darkshards
*Banner
*Musician

20 Executioners
* Banner

15 Sisters of Slaughter
*Banner

That will leave me with 36points for a magic banner or some goodies for the wizard.
Shards go 2 rows of 10, until quick reform is required for a charge, either from them or against them.
Dreadlord is going on a challenging spree!

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Seems alright. I'm not a fan of CC characters, especially with Elves, given how fragile they are. I typically find that if you don't kill it in the first round, you're dead by the end of the second. Also, if you're on a "challenge-spree" be prepared to eat a lot of Sergeants and other worthless models meant to blunt those Chaos Warrior challenges. For the price of that guy, you could throw in a whole regiment of Cold One Knights, and I think you'd get more utility out of them.

Also, no BSB? That seems a touch odd to me, because Elf units are stupidly expensive. I play all the Elves, and I can tell you that losing a massive chunk of your army because someone rolled box-cars on their panic after 5 casualties is a real pain in the butt. I'd switch that Dreadlord and Sorceress for a L4 Sorceress and a Master BSB.

You'll need the L4 magic anyways - High Elves and Lizardmen love to play the magic game. You should know that already. The problem is that the army lacks the M6 Swiftstride that the Ogres have got, and you don't have any cavalry or other "quick" units to get out from under the magical onslaught.

If you're going to run Dark Shards in large numbers like that, I'd give them Shields. Don't charge anything with them though - they're better off shooting it. The 2x Shots and AP offsets the ASF. Take the S&S reaction and then fight. With shields, they hold up as well as the Swordsmen do.

The Blackguard are a solid regiment, but they should carry the Razor Banner. If I remember, having done the math, the 2A and ASF means that their killing power is virtually identical to that of the Executioners, but their inability to crack heavy armor is what brings them down. Get a Razor Banner on those guys, and they should outperform your Execs almost every time.
This actually raises an odd point, since most people seems to expect BG to fulfill the same role as PG in the High Elf book, when they almost certainly do not. They're actually a lot closer to Swordmasters in their role and usefulness. So if you're looking for some kind of an "anvil" unit, the 4++ Sisters of Slaughter are probably your best bet. They also hit stupidly hard. Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of Sisters. Witches are almost identical, and count as Core -allowing you to free up points for something else in the book. When looking at stuff with a 4++, I always opt to spend the extra 10pts/model and grab the Warlocks. Being able to put that brick of a wardsave anywhere on the table is awesome, and so is counting as a Wizard and being gauranteed some stupidly useful spells.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True all of that.
The high leadership of Elves, kinda made me think i would not need a BsB. But with 250+ pts for a unit, It would be wise to bring a 95pt (without gear) BsB.
The Shards where just going to stand and shoot, so a shield sounds good. Reform and whack them in the face.
Not sure what to do with the BLackGuards as i got 2 units of them and are only allowed 1 Razor, suppose keep them both as the ASF and Eternal Hatred with a Halberd is 3 kinds of fun.
Thanks for the imput. Back to the drawing board and make some changes.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have the say the list seems small at 2000pts.

With dark shardes i would take 30 with shields 2X15 (or 3X10 if playing end times) in cc 5x6 you have a 5+ 6++ i use this all the time my dark elves never leave home without them.

As for black guard i tend to think they really only work going whole hog. Horde formation with a culdron hag (can be bsb but would likely die) and razor standard. your fighting in 3 ranks, rerolling to hit, rerolling failed wounds and front rank you can mash up 4 attacks each and a ward save.

if you go this route Take warlocks and put a level 4 metal/shadow here (i prefer metal for this list to boost armour and gives you a decent low cast to take out armoured units). use the warlocks spell to lower the tough of units before you pummel them with arrows.

I am with cap don't bother with the sisters.

hope this helps

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts