Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im going to be playing my friend in a game sometime next week I imagine. Hes a woodelf player and for some reason WE and Ogres give me problems. But anyways here is a list Ive made so far.

Lord/Heroes

TK-DoE, Collar
TP-Chariot, Chariot of Fire, Brooch, LA shield spear
LP- Cloak & Jar
LP- mount & SoRav

Core
20x bowmen & mus
15x bowmen
3x chariot & standard
3x chariot

Special
2x Scorpions
19x Tomb Guard, Full Command & Undying Legion
4x Carrion

Rare
SSC-upgraded

I fear that he will go a bit magic heavy because he knows how my magic can hurt so thats why i gave the prince the scroll. At 1998 points. Was also thinking of dropping the 3x chariots and adding 5bowmen and a musician, an extra carrion, and giving the other chariots the banner of Sacred Eye. That is 2000points.

Well what do you think?

·
Registered
294 Posts
That's a pretty nice list bud. :good:

I don't think you need to make any wholesale changes to an otherwise good list, but there are a couple of tweaks that should serve you well...

WE are an army that tends to give a lot of people problems because they are generally better than us in just about every phase of the game (though it gauls me deeply to admit it). In particular this will manifest itself most during the shooting and magic phases where we can often expect to dominate.

So where does that leave us? Well, rather than try and change the way we work it is generally better to emphasise those elements that work well for us. Chariots are a good example here because though they are very effective against those weakling elves once meelee is joined, enemy missile fire and magic will often reduce their numbers to the point of impotence before they can get there. For this reason I would use your chariots in units of four because they will still be effective even after they take the expected long range beating from your opponent.

The same is also true of your foot troops. Since these all rely on CR to win battles it is a good idea to add a few dudes to each block since this will allow them to take a few hits and still be effective when you need them.

I note you have a rare slot free. Another SSC -with all its wonderful flamey goodness- would be worth its weight in gold here (particularly if your opponent has a fettish for treemen), but I would think long and hard about taking a casket if you expect your opponent to go magic heavy. As always though, don't be afraid to use your scorpions to even the odds a bit in terms of magic.

I generally use carrion in threes, but five is perhaps better against WE as they are particularly effective against his bowmen (you can also use them to gain the effects of crossfire if your opponent is inclined to use 'flee' as a standard charge reaction). This is super important because WE bowmen are just about the best archers in the game and you really must shut these down as early as possible or they will give you problems out of all proportion to their numbers. Scorpions are also good for tying up his archers if you can't get at his wizards (and sometimes it's better to go for the archers early on even if you can).

A flail (or even GW) is generally a better choice than a spear for a mounted prince.

To find the points for some of these changes I would probably look to drop the 15 strong unit of bow skellies. Although bow dudes can actually do really well against elves you are probably better off beefing up your other 'key' units first as this will make your army more effective as a whole than the additional bowfire would IMHO.

Hope some of that helps bud. :)

PS. Against OK you should do well if you keep your static CR nice and high (this is the bane of OK), and add Enkhils' Kanopi to your list to deal with all that nasty Ogre gut magic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright thanks for the feed back Vallah.

New list

TK-DoE Collar
TP- Brooch, CoF, Chariot, LA, GW
LP-same
LP-same

23xbowmen mus
22x TG rest same
3x Chariot stnd
4x Chariot

2x Scorps
5x carrion

SSC-upgraded

Basically dropped the 15bowmen for a few extra skeletons to take arrow foder, along with a chariot, and a carrion to negate ranks/take on some small units.

·
Registered
241 Posts
WE insight

Alright So i am a WE player that frequently plays against TK (as its my mate's army). Here is what is going to give you trouble

If he is going magic heavy he is probably going to have something along the lines of
lvl 3 Lord
lvl 1 Branchwraith
lvl 1 Caster

His lord will be tooled out with a wand that allows him to reroll all his dispell attempts and he will have around 7DD that can be re-rolled. Your magic will be severely limited as he will be able to roll 1 dice sometimes to rid himself of your magics.

The treeman is nasty, but a nice shot with the SSC will finish him. It does MAGICAL and FLAMING and NO armor saves (but of course you already know that) What that means to us WE players? NO WARD SAVE, NO ARMOR SAVE, and DOUBLE d6 damage! bye bye tree

WE shooting is very nice, but it isn't absolutely godly like many people believe. Our Combat skills are not on par with say WoC but the fact that we are quick allows WE to get into advantageous fights. Be wary you might think those War Dancers are pretty far away but they can be quite quick.

Finally, protect your Hiero and your SSC. If there is anything WEs have in vast quantities its warmachine and character hunters. Waywatchers, Wild Riders, War Hawks, Great Eagles, Glade Riders, and Alter Nobles will be skirting around the map with insane speed ready to deal with your SSC. If your Heiro is chilling all alone he will be found and he will die. 20'' flight is a long way, but 5/6 of the units i mentioned above move 18'' or more, and way watchers have KB at short range (15'').

Hope this helped out. More of what to watch out for than actual tactics :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey every bit helps. Wardancers I seem to be able to deal with quite well. Maybe its luck, but I've pretty much killed them everytime Ive fought them.

On the otherhand I hate warhawk riders since they typically do the killing of my warmachiines and chase my heirophant across the board. Im not sure whether or not i should remove the cloak on him and give it to my King. Then put the Heiro in a unit of skeles with the collar on.
Thus he wont get shot from waywatchers and warhawks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You also should look out for the Dreaded Hail of Doom arrow.

3d6 Str 4 Magical arrows are going to obliterate something.

Personally, if i saw a priest in a unit of light cav thats is my first target. Be wary because if those things are shot from even a noble. Even at far range they will be hitting on 2+.
That's another reason to keep your Heiro in a unit against WE. Ive killed my buddies a hiero a few times with HoDA. If i see your armies T3 Magical focal point just chilling out there, you can bet your bottom dollar hes going to catch some arrows. hopefully 18 of them.

So be careful to make sure your boy is out of line of sight.
remember the old saying "Out of sight, out of mind" works the same way in WH.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well if hes in a unit, most likely he will always be insight. And if not insight he will be next turn. Alter Kindred is an a big option for my friend along with the HoDA. But the fact that WE is so mobile and im slow makes it easy for him to keep me insight. But at least I've got 23 bowmen to take the blows. Then they can be resurrected to insure protection of the priest.

Btw randomly do you know if say a lord is in a unit a break away from the unit what is their LoS? Like can they move to a unit directly next to them or can the only "see" things in front?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.