Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my second attempt at a list for my upcoming GT in January.

Please critique..........

HQ
200pts: CCS Squad with Carapace, 4 Plasma Guns, Astropath, Chimera (HHF).

Elites; 110pts
Psyker Squad. (10 Psykers), (goes in Vendetta)

Troops:
210pts. Grenadier Squad
2 Melta Guns, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist
Chimera, ML, HF

215pts. Grenadier Squad
3 Plasma Guns, PF
Chimera, ML, HF

260 pts, 2 x Demolishion Veteran Squads
Each with 3 Melta Guns. (One goes in Vendetta, other in Valkerie)

Fast Attack:
Vendettas (140pts): Heavy Bolters

Vendettas (140pts): Heavy Bolters

Valkerie (140pts): Missle Pods, Heavy Bolters

Heavy Support:

185pts. Leman Russ Demolisher, Lascannon

215pts. Leman Russ Exterminator, Lascannon, Pask

180pts. Leman Russ Punisher
, Hull Heavy Bolter

1995 pts

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Lose all the powerfists and infantry heavy flamers, you'll lose combat anyway and Chimeras get heavy flamers free.

PBS in a Valk with no fire points = bad idea. Grab them a Chimera. If points allow, an Inquisitor w/ Mystics is good cargo for a Vendetta.

Punisher sucks, get a Demo.

·
Airborne
1,664 Posts
Why are the psykers in a vehicle they can't shoot out of? I'd put another vet squad in the vendetta, lose their chimera, and give the psykers a chimera. Same points, just seems more optimized.

Seems like you have carapace armor in alot of places you don't need it. If most of these units are in a position to take saves a little buff to it won't help. If they're sitting on objectives they go to ground like it's an olympic event and most things that ignore cover will also bypass carapace. Also, yeah you really don't want PF in infantry squads. Most of the time you aren't gonna live long enough for it to even attack.

Punisher just seems like such a waste when you can get 2x hydras and still have points left over (and be able to kill rhinos from across the table)

The Pask exterminator is an interesting concept. Seems like it could work, and the Demolisher is always a good route.

You can take my advice on this next point or come to it on your own, but you want the valk to be a vendetta. Play out both a few games and see which gives you the best mileage, but there's a reason people hate vendetta spam and don't care about valkyrie spam.

Overall you're on the right path, but a little optimizing means the difference between a major win and a table at a GT.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I had planned to drop the Psykers out into cover, and let them do their stuff, but I didn't know Psykers could use their powers from inside a Chimera?

@ Mastershake: Good advice, I have so much Carapace, as that is the models I have, and don't want to get more troops at the moment. (I have plenty of Grey Knights and Sisters to use if I need) I also won't be able to get another Forgeworld kit before the tourney for the other Vendetta conversion, otherwise I would. :good: I'll drop the PFs in the squads if I can come up with something else to put the points into?:dont-know:

I also took the Punisher because between the Exterminator, Melta Vets and the Vendetta's, I figured I have enough anti vehicle and while this Forum doesn't give a lot of support to Punishers, my experience with them has been excellent. With the plethora of 4+ cover in 5th ed, there is nothing like making your enemy take 8 or so saves.

The Pask Exterminator is a great way to kill vehicles at a distance. It's essentially like having 4 S8 shots and one S10 Lascannon! It kills skimmers dead:sinister:

·
Airborne
1,664 Posts
Yeah, they can use the fire point for weaken resolve, tis why they always have their trusty steel coffin. As for the pask exterminator, yeah, I'd certainly agree. I've never seen it before, but it looks pretty hot and probably the best use of the Pask rules.

As for the Punisher, my experience with mech marines has been "If you think you have enough ways to kill a rhino, you could probably use a few more. If you think you went overboard, you're just right". This is mostly because if they get first turn and blitz, you need to be able to reliably kill them through smoke. The Hydra can usually manage at least an immobile result. Also, a point for consideration, 2x Hydras w/ heavy bolters average 7 wounds against T4 a turn and the punisher with a single heavy bolter averages a little less than 8. The Hydras don't need to get danger close to use their main weaponry and can switch hit vehicles more effectively all for less points. It's one of the big reasons the punisher doesn't get much love.

That being said, I do understand the whole model limitation thing, sometimes you just have to do the best with what you have. You have alot of bases covered with the army, an extra demolisher in the squadron or (with more limited points) some sponsons could give you some good additional bang-for-your-buck.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
A regimental flag would be nice in there and three demolishers is all you need to fill your heavy support. IMO i think you need atleast 5 scoring units in 2k games.
thanks
antique_nova

1 - 6 of 6 Posts