Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Company Master w. Terminator Armour, Digital Weapons, Claw & Fist (180 )
Librarian, Digital Weapons (75)

Command Squad, Apothecary, 2 Storm Shields, 2 Flamers, Drop Pod (190 )
Command Squad, Apothecary, 2 Storm Shields, 2 Flamers, Drop Pod (190 )
Deathwing Command Squad, Cyclone Launcher, Chainfist (250 )

5 Deathwing Knights (235)
Venerable Dreadnought, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod (170 )

5 Scouts, Camo cloaks, Missile Launcher w. Flakk missiles (95)
5 Scouts, Camo cloaks, Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher w. Flakk missiles (95)

Ravenwing Darkshroud (80 )
Ravenwing Darkshroud (80 )

Rather an unorthodox list, I know. Still, it takes advantage of the Command Squad rules to effectively double the number of Elites I can take rather than Heavy Support. It's a turtle/counter-attack army. Scouts take objectives, reinforcements Deep Strike wherever they're needed. Darkshrouds boost cover saves, making units incredibly hard to shift.
My command squads, in particular, have FNP, 3++, and 2 overwatch-ing Flamers apiece, plus 12 attacks if they're charged.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I cant see much point in the darkshrouds in this list
They are best used when employing a RW army

Anyway Besides that i would drop 2 units of those scouts and take a unit of marines in a drop pod.
Right now you are able to sit on you own objective but have nothing to go grap the enemy's objective

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK granted the Darkshrouds aren't that great, but their main purpose would be to boost the scouts' cover saves to 2+.

How about this build?

Company Master w. Terminator Armour, Digital Weapons, Claw & Hammer (185)
Librarian, Terminator Armour, Divination (95)

Command Squad, Company Champion, Apothecary, 2 Flamers, Drop Pod (175)
Command Squad, Company Champion, Apothecary, 2 Flamers, Drop Pod (175)
Deathwing Command Squad, Champion, Cyclone Launcher, Chainfist (255)
Deathwing Command Squad, Champion, Cyclone Launcher, Chainfist (255)

5 Deathwing Knights (235)

5 Scouts, Camo cloaks, Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher w. Flakk missiles (95)

·
Registered
777 Posts
you seem to have 4 command squads
is that correct or is it a mistake?
You can only have 2; librarian can take the normal PA command squad while the master can take the terminator armored command squad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In each case, the wording in the codex reads 'for each HQ choice in your army, not including tech marines or other command squads, you may take a command squad. These selections do not use up a FO slot.' Deathwing command squads are a separate entry and say the same thing. Therefore you may take a normal command squad for each HQ unit, plus a Deathwing or Ravenwing command squad for each of those HQ's that either wear terminator armour or ride a bike. Nowhere does it say you're limited to one of each.
In this case, I have 2 HQ's, both of which wear terminator armour. Therefore I can take 2 command squads, plus two Deathwing command squads.

·
Registered
193 Posts
no, you have to have terminator armor to have terminator comand squad. If you dont have it.. then you can have a normal comand squad. im reading it and in any codex in any army it states you can have one comand squad. and it even says , for EACH HQ choice you may have one. ... dosent say anywhere " if i have terminator armor i get deathwing and regular....

Also...in both sections it says "a" meanning one. BUt by all means bring it to a tournement..i promiss you , there will be lots of issues

Also where does it say that if you have terminator armor that you can have a regular command squad.. i dont see it in writting no more then i see it saying i can have two commands squads per HQ.

wait..look down at the bottom of the page...page 95, says..with *one per army

·
Registered
777 Posts
I hate it when people put in house rules

Rules are rules. If you dont want to use special characters then dont use them. But dont impact other peoples games with your own rules.

Otherwise drop ur master and take belial for the extra 5 points

Drop the librarians terminator armour and a command squad for another terminator squad (find points somewhere) and you know have 6 troops, 3 to hold your own objectives and 3 to go take the enemy's

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys I still think I'm reading it correctly. Is there a FAQ anywhere to clarify? Or can we post a question to the officials? The one per army thing on pg 95 is for the Company Banners, not the squad numbers.
I can't find anywhere in the army list that says you have to choose either/or. I maintain that if you have two HQs with Termy armour you can have two normal command squads and two Deathwing commands. If you had one HQ with Termy armour and one on a bike, you can have two normal command squads, one Deathwing command squad and one Ravenwing command squad, assuming you can afford it. And so on.
If anyone can quote a page and line that says different, let me know and I'll gladly admit defeat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for the troops problem, I know I'm a little short. I'm working on the theory that all units count as denial units. Although they can't control objectives, they can stop the enemy from controlling them, so you still have the upper hand.

·
Registered
313 Posts
On the subject of the command squads, even though it might not explicitly say you don't get to double-tap them right now I would still advice against buying the models, because that'll get errata'd pretty darn quick.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're probably right. I won't be getting the models for a while anyway, I'm saving up for Tau which should be out in the next few months.
I can pretty easily swap out the normal command squads for a couple of Assault marine squads, so I'll make a backup list just in case.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Rulebook is very clear, just like in the wargear section. For example, if you took a company master in power armor, the only command squad you could take would be the normal one. When you take your HQ choice in terminator armor, it allows you to take the terminator command instead, it opens the door for you to make the selection available, it doesn't add another command squad, you still only get one, but now you can take either one, not both. Same with the wargear, once you outfit your HQ in terminator armor you can then make selections from the terminator wargear, it's an option that is closed until you meet the specifications.

Plus watch out for Leman Russ Eradicators or even worse would be Flamers of Tzeentch, they will wreck everything.

And yes, silly house rule is silly, you should take Belial. Plus, knights need a delivery system, otherwise they are a very expensive road block.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ah well, I'll take them as Assault squads then, no worries. I'm sure a FAQ will come out soon to clarify. That'll save me some points for more troops.
The house rule thing is really my personal choice. Aside from anything else it makes my list more unique and personal, plus makes assembling a competitive list more of a challenge. Also some tourneys don't allow special characters, and besides my marines aren't strictly Dark Angels but a sub-chapter, so taking Belial doesn't really fit.
Can't Knights Deep Strike? I didn't think I needed a transport for them.

·
Registered
442 Posts
they can still deep strike, assuming they don't mishap they'll have to wait to assault which means one of two things,

1)You deep strike them in a juicy, target rich environment = they get shot until they die.

2)You deep strike them safely away from danger = they can't be in assault range of anything for a few turns.

kind of like Sophie's choice really.

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
Rulebook is very clear, just like in the wargear section. For example, if you took a company master in power armor, the only command squad you could take would be the normal one. When you take your HQ choice in terminator armor, it allows you to take the terminator command instead, it opens the door for you to make the selection available, it doesn't add another command squad, you still only get one, but now you can take either one, not both. Same with the wargear, once you outfit your HQ in terminator armor you can then make selections from the terminator wargear, it's an option that is closed until you meet the specifications.

Plus watch out for Leman Russ Eradicators or even worse would be Flamers of Tzeentch, they will wreck everything.

And yes, silly house rule is silly, you should take Belial. Plus, knights need a delivery system, otherwise they are a very expensive road block.
I second this fully, both rules and suggestion alike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ok I've had a think about this and I think I should start from scratch.

Here is the core force of my army which MUST be included.

Librarian, Divination (65)

Command Squad, Standard of Devastation, Apothecary, 2 Storm Shields, 5 Bolters (210 )

Dreadnought, 2 twin-linked Autocannon (120 )
Dreadnought, 2 twin-linked Autocannon (120 )

10 Scouts, Camo Cloaks, Missile Launcher, Flakk missiles (165)
10 Scouts, Camo Cloaks, Missile Launcher, Flakk missiles (165)
5 Marines, Flamer, Razorback w. twin-linked Lascannon (150 )
5 Marines, Flamer, Razorback w. twin-linked Lascannon (150 )

Darkshroud (80 )
Dark Talon (160 )
6 Ravenwing Bikers, 2 Meltaguns, Attack bike w. Multi-melta, Land Speeder w. Multi-melta (296)

Predator, Lascannon sponsons (115)
Predator, Lascannon sponsons (115)

Aegis Defence Line, Icarus Lascannon (85)

1996 pts

The units band together to form a highly resilient firing line, producing up to 116 bolter shots a turn (including 24 from the Dark Talon), as well as the troops having a 2+ cover save. The Librarian gives them some re-rolls and cheaply fills the mandatory HQ choice. The Ravenwing split into two combat squads, each supported by a Multi-melta support vehicle.
As my army is not strictly a Dark Angels army but a sub-chapter, no special characters are permitted.

·
Registered
442 Posts
As far as I know they would get more than 60 bolter shots.

If you don't move your 20 scouts and are within 6" of your command squad that would give you 21 bolters (8+8+5)

With the banner, you would fire them as 24" 2/4 Salvo. Meaning, you would get to fire 84 shots at 24" if they didn't move, or, 42 shots at 12" if they did move.

you could call your sub chapter the Dakka Angels, >:]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweeeeeeeet, I didn't do the math quite right.

So what should I add? I thought a couple of Rifleman Dreads in drop pods to outflank and smash vehicle side-armour, or Venerable Dreads in Pods with Meltas and Flamers. A few tanks would be nice too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts