Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've also got an alternate version of this using the generic Lv 4 Mage, but I haven't quite figured out the optimal magic item configuration or what to do with the extra points. List first, then commentary...

Teclis (joins Phoenix Guard)

Melkior (Mage Lv 2), Starwood Staff (joins Spearmen unit #1)

Aeoryn (Mage Lv 2), Seerstaff of Saphery, Dispel Scroll (joins Spearmen unit #2)

20x Spearmen (no command)

20x Phoenix Guard (Full Command) - Champ. has Armor of Caledor, Std. has Banner of Sorcery

4x Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total - 2000 pts
PD = 2 (Basic) + 2 (Aeoryn) + 2 (Melkior) + [4+D3] (Teclis) + D3 (Banner of Sorcery) = 10+2D3
DD = 2 (Basic) + 1 (Aeoryn) + 1 (Melkior) + [2+D3] (Teclis) = 6+D3 and 2 Scrolls (Teclis & Aeoryn)

I favor the 20x units because they can take any of the three major combat formations (5x4, 6x3+, 7x3-), depending on how many minor casualties caused by opposition shooting and which how wide the opponent lines up. Also, the mages can jump out prior to combat without killing your rank bonus. Not sure about Armor of Caledor being the proper item here, but I figure I'll eventually the Phoenix Guard will get stuck in a combat and I don't want Teclis to have to accept, nor do I want to have my Phoenix Guard champion give the opponent 4 points of overkill. Other possibilities include Skeinsliver (but with only 4 deployments + characters, I should always finish first), Amulet of Light, Gem of Courage, and Amulet of Fire.

The plan here is basically sit back and castle up on the RBTs, letting my mages and the RBTs first kill crazy gigantic things (e.g. Dragon/Giant/Greater Daemons), then start to soften up the units that would have fair fights against my three blocks. The biggest piece missing here is obviously the BSB wearing the Armor of Caledor and Guardian Phoenix with a great weapon, but not sure where to get the ~170 points from. In the non-Teclis version, which I'll give below, that's the biggest addition. I almost went with the Book of Hoeth for Caspian, and Dispel Scroll + Jewel of the Dusk instead of Ring of Fury for Melkior, but I feel as though I'm better off with volume of spells than spending one more dice than normal on all my spells to try for the irresistables, but both methods are acceptable. I won't comment further on the non-Teclis version, as it's essentially the same, but would much appreciate comments and constructive criticism on both lists.

Caspian (Archmage Lv 4), Starwood Staff, Jewel of the Dusk, Powerstone, Dispel Scroll (joins Phoenix Guard)

Melkior (Mage Lv 2), Ring of Fury (joins Spearmen unit #1)

Aeoryn (Mage Lv 2), Powerstone, Dispel Scroll (joins Spearmen unit #2)

Adryan (Noble - BSB), Armor of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Great Weapon (joins Phoenix Guard)

19x Phoenix Guard (Full Command) - Std. has Banner of Sorcery

4x Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total - 1998 pts
PD = 2 (Basic) + 2 (Aeoryn) + 2 (Melkior) + 5 (Caspian) + D3 (Banner of Sorcery) = 11+D3 & 2 Powerstones, Ring of Fury
DD = 2 (Basic) + 1 (Aeoryn) + 1 (Melkior) + 2 (Caspian) = 6 and 2 Scrolls (Caspian & Aeoryn)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good solid baseline, immense magical firepower, very impressive. Only one weakness that i can see for a defensive army such as this, no march blockers to maximise the effect of all that magic and firepower. The more you slow you opponent the more benefit you obtain from your army list. Good luck i like this list and i like defensive lists generally ( a hangover from when i played 5th ed) just never been able to make one work since the 5th ed.

·
2,244 Posts
I think you will be outmaneouvred with both these lists, one bad combat and you are in huge trouble.

If you are going to go this insanely (to my play style) small, then I would take the skeinsliver, it would give you +2 total against all but the most absurd armies.

A quick note on your tactics, something needs to decimate anything even remotely fast early, they will cause both lists a whole mess of trouble.

I personally thin that you are overrating the spearmen in combat, they are good but I don't know if they could stand up unsupported for too long.

Good Luck anyway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allonaire: I think you may be right about the Skeinsliver (replaces the AoC), was just nervous about the fact that Teclis will basically be forced to jump ship as soon as an enemy unit gets in charge range, since he won't have anything to protect him. Not the end of the world, but it is kinda scary. In most cases, I'm expecting Teclis will be taking a lore with decent magic missile access to stop the fast cavalry, and depending on what army I'm playing against, possibly the one with Seerstaff as well.

With regard to the Spearmen, that's why I really want to find room for the BSB in the Teclis list so badly. Although if my army is doing its job, they shouldn't have to deal with full-up undamaged units of Chosen Chaos Knights, undamaged pairs of Cold One Chariots, etc. by themselves; either they'll get whittled down before they get near my Spears, or its the only CC threat left on the table and I can gang up on it. The Spearmen aren't perfect, I realize that; but the best other option, as I see it, is taking two min-sized archer blocks, and trying to run two 15-man blocks of hard infantry, 2 groups of Phoenix Guard, or 1 of Phoenix Guard and 1 of White Lions. I don't think the archers are going to do a whole ton with their arrows, and they can't do anything in terms of CC.

·
2,244 Posts
I would follow Aener's advice about the march blockers as well, it would buy you that extra turn of shooting, but you have the same problem then of how to fit it in without dropping a bolt thrower for an eagle or something.

Like I said good luck, this list is a bit outside my personal experience, I guess the idea is like a dwarf gunline in that nothing touches you in any sort of good shape and what does you trounce.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Noted that I made a mistake in equipping my Archmage in the second list (can't have Starwood AND Jewel), so I've gone back to using the Book and giving both my level 2s Powerstone + Dispel Scroll. I also found a way to fit a unit of Reavers into both lists, which will help with the march blocking. Consequently, here are the re-written lists:

Teclis (joins Phoenix Guard)

Melkior (Mage Lv 2), Starwood Staff (joins Spearmen unit #1)

Aeoryn (Mage Lv 2), Seerstaff of Saphery, Dispel Scroll (joins Spearmen unit #2)

15x Phoenix Guard (Std. + Mus.) - Std. has Banner of Sorcery

5x Ellyrian Reavers (Musician) - Bow & Spear

4x Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total - 2000 pts
PD = 2 (Basic) + 2 (Aeoryn) + 2 (Melkior) + [4+D3] (Teclis) + D3 (Banner of Sorcery) = 10+2D3
DD = 2 (Basic) + 1 (Aeoryn) + 1 (Melkior) + [2+D3] (Teclis) = 6+D3 and 2 Scrolls (Teclis & Aeoryn)

Caspian (Archmage Lv 4), Book of Hoeth (joins Phoenix Guard)

Melkior (Mage Lv 2), Powerstone, Dispel Scroll (joins Spearmen unit #1)

Aeoryn (Mage Lv 2), Powerstone, Dispel Scroll (joins Spearmen unit #2)

Adryan (Noble - BSB), Armor of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Great Weapon (joins Phoenix Guard)

19x Spearmen (no command)

19x Spearmen (no command)

14x Phoenix Guard (Std. + Mus.) - Std. has Banner of Sorcery

5x Ellyrian Reavers (Musician) - Bow (no Spear)

4x Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total - 2000 pts
PD = 2 (Basic) + 2 (Aeoryn) + 2 (Melkior) + 4 (Caspian) + D3 (Banner of Sorcery) = 10+D3 & 2 Powerstones
DD = 2 (Basic) + 1 (Aeoryn) + 1 (Melkior) + 2 (Caspian) = 6 and 2 Scrolls (Melkior & Aeoryn)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts