Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just finished my marines (the all infiltrating all infantry variety) and am now looking for summin new, i've always liked eldar but not so much the stick they get for spamming things like harlies and holofielded tanks (summin i sympathise with a little), anyway i'm trying to make a decent force while avoiding these units and this is what i have:

Farseer w/t fortune, doom, RoW, spirit stones

10 warlocks, 1 w/t enhance, 1 w/t embolden

The avatar of khaine

10 striking scorpions, exarch w/t claw, stalker and shadow strike

10 Banshees, Exarch w/t mirrior swords, war shout and acrobatic

15 guardians w/t EML

15 guardians w/t shurikan cannon

2 vibro cannons

2 vibro cannons

5 Dark reapers, Exarch w/t EML and fast shot

How's it looking? never done eldar before and fear i may be lacking anti tank (hoping the vibro cannons will do ok for it).

Am considering swapping one of the dark reapers and 15 guardians for a decent squad of dire avengers.

But i donno how do foot slogging eldar like this tend to fair? i mean i'm hoping the scorps can get into melee and block LoS but eldar are a lot more fragile than i'm used too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hey all, just finished my marines (the all infiltrating all infantry variety) and am now looking for summin new, i've always liked eldar but not so much the stick they get for spamming things like harlies and holofielded tanks (summin i sympathise with a little), anyway i'm trying to make a decent force while avoiding these units and this is what i have:
ok before I lay into this, try and figure out how you want the army to work as a whole, then try and pick units that complement each other, eldar at its best has a "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" thing. F
Also for each unit, ask "what does this give me? do I need that? is there anything that can do it better/cheaper?

10 warlocks, 1 w/t enhance, 1 w/t embolden
so what does this give you? it is a very expensive unit and not ultra lethal in combat as opponents get saves, honestly I think ditching would be the order of the day
The avatar of khaine
not to expensive, keeps guardians from running, perhaps has problems, depends if you have anything else for his las cannon to shoot it

good
withou transport these are asking to get shot to shreds, if you are very carefull and you find decent cover in the right places may be ok, but a little dubious
15 guardians w/t EML

ok rule 1: dont put single shot weapons on BS3 squads, ditch the EML, be tempted by scatter lasers, better range than the cannon
rule 2: add warlocks with conceal, that cover save is priceless
2 vibro cannons

2 vibro cannons
groovy
prefer tempest, eats MEQs
How's it looking? never done eldar before and fear i may be lacking anti tank (hoping the vibro cannons will do ok for it).

Am considering swapping one of the dark reapers and 15 guardians for a decent squad of dire avengers.

But i donno how do foot slogging eldar like this tend to fair? i mean i'm hoping the scorps can get into melee and block LoS but eldar are a lot more fragile than i'm used too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
it aint bad, you are perhaps a little short on AT, I would consider (other than changes above):
1. dropping seer council, it gives you nothing
2. re work guardians as above
3. drop banshee, replace with smallish spider squad (tank hunters)
4. Use spare points to add more guardian squads and perhaps a 5 man pathfinder squad

That is rather old school Ulthwe and will work, main concern then becomes the Avatar, he is very usefull for 2 reasons, 1. he stops the guardians from running and 2 he can hold stuff up in combat when it reaches your gun line, however, the absence of any tanks or other monsterous creatures means he is loikely to draw fire from every anti tank weapon your opponent has and in 2000 points that will be sufficient to take him down with ease

because of that I would be tempted to rethinl the HQ entirely, perhaps tank hunting autarch, perhaps farser with mindwar or perhaps pheonix lord for similar counter charge role to the avatar

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply :) you're right about the warloacks at least, i've had a re-think and have come up with this:

The avatar of khaine

13 guardians w/t shurikan cannon, warlock w/t conceal

14 guardians w/t shurikan cannon, warlock w/t conceal

2 Vypers w/t duel shurikan cannons

2 vibro cannons

2 vibro cannons

With this force i'm actually hoping the Avatar takes fire as he'll be fortuned as much as humanly possible and it means less fire at the vypers who can run around hunting most tanks and just generally be major pains in the rear.
The scorpions i'll prob deploy together on the enemies shootiest flank while the guardians, avatar and farseer go up the centre, the vibro cannons and reapers will deploy on the refused flank and act as a firebase possibly with the banshees nearby to countercharge whatever comes for them.

Any better?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts