Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I participated in another 2,000 point RTT. I once again took my CSM list, as I don't have any other armies I enjoy playing in 5th edition. Hopefully that will change when I get my Dark Eldar army from the previous tournament.

This one is the last in a series of tournaments that were held in the metro Atlanta area. It was a set of four RTT's, where the placement was being tracked from all the events to determine an overall circuit winner. I didn't get to play in the first one as I had to run it, so I didn't have a chance at winning, but I was still in the top 10 with 2 entries out of the previous 3 events.

Today I was hoping to hold my spot in the top 10 with a decent showing in the last event.

Scoring had three objectives per mission, worth 15 for primary, 10 for secondary, and 5 for tertiary. Drawing the objectives were worth 7, 5, and 2 each respectively. So a total possible 90 battle points. Then there were another 30 points each in painting and sportsmanship for determining the winner.

My CSM were as follows...

HQ:
Daemon Prince - MoS, Wings, Lash
Chaos Sorceror - MoS, Wings, Lash, Melta Bombs, Personal Icon

Troops:
9 Zerkers - Fisty champ
- Rhino w/combi-melta
9 Zerkers - Fisty champ
- Rhino w/combi-melta
9 Zerkers - Fisty champ
- Rhino w/combi-melta
7 Plague Marines - Fisty champ, 2 meltas
- Rhino w/combi-melta

Heavy Support:
Defiler
3 Oblits
3 Oblits

Standard dual lash list.

Round 1:

Unfortunately, they didn't avoid same-club match-ups in the first round, so I ended up drawing someone I've played many many times before. He's a skilled player using a mechanized IG army that's an extremely difficult match up for mine.

HQ:
CCS - 4 melta guns (rides in a vendetta)
CCS - 4 plasma guns, some banner
- Chimera w/multi-laser + heavy flamer

Elites:
Marbo
Psyker Battle Squad - overseer + 9 sanctioned psykers
- Chimera w/multi-laser + heavy flamer

Troops:
PCS - 4 melta guns (rides in a vendetta)
Platoon - las cannon
- Chimera w/multi-laser + heavy bolter
Platoon - las cannon
PCS - 4 melta guns (rides in a vendetta)
Platoon - las cannon
Platoon - las cannon

Fast Attack:
Vendetta
Vendetta
Vendetta

Heavy Support:
Colossus
2xHydra Flak Tanks - Heavy bolters
Leman Russ Demolisher - plasma cannon sponsons

Deployment: Dawn of War

Primary: Seize ground objective points (you each place 2, the ones you place are worth 2 to you and 8 to your opponent and vice versa)
Secondary: Kill points
Tertiary: Have 3 scoring units fully in your enemy's deployment zone.

Assessment: 6 Chimeras, 4 of them transporting scoring units. Then 3 vendettas with 2 scoring units inside, each toting 4 melta gun squads. Topped off with some hydras to pop rhinos and a colossus to kill the guys getting out w/ a demolisher for good measure. A tough list. I absolutely need to go first. If I get the first turn, with Dawn of War I can get two movements before I start taking fire... plus I'll get the first volley with the oblits to limit some vendetta shooting on turn 2. If he goes first, I won't be able to get out of my starting position.

He, unfortunately, wins the roll for first turn.

Deployment: Neither of us deploy anything, I decide to deepstrike the oblits. He's got his objectives 12" from his board edge, split between the left-center and right-center. I put mine 12" from my board edge as far right as they can (need to be 12" from each other and board edges). They are also in terrain, so I can get cover saves while sitting on objectives, heh.

I fail to seize the initiative and the game begins.

Turn 1:
He rolls on the board, kind of spread out.

I come on the board with my rhinos mostly castled on the right hand side (between my two objectives). The front two pop smoke. If I get lucky, he'll bounce off smoke some in turn 2 and I can try to push forward some more to threaten his right-center objective. We'll see how it goes. Defiler and lash prince are just to the right of the rhinos.

Turn 2:
He destroys the front two rhinos and immobilizes a third with his shooting. Thankfully the front rhinos were just wrecked and not exploded, so I'm able to spread out while disembarking to avoid a Colossus shot on clumped up troops. Well, so much for getting out of my DZ! The new plan is to draw the primary by controlling mine and if I get lucky with the defiler and oblits, get the secondary. Tertiary is out of the question.

Neither oblit squad came in. Doh. Marbo had arrived and threw a demo charge, the lash sorc who was with the plagues (whose rhino was destroyed) charges and kills him. Existing rhinos both smoke. I fail to fix immobilization. Zerkers who got shot out of their rhino spread out.

Defiler does destroy a vendetta, with a bit of good luck. Lash prince moves up to threaten his demolisher + a chimera. If nothing else, it will draw fire from the existing rhinos + troops.

Turn 3:
The lash prince does well at drawing a ton of fire and is brought down by one of the last few guns that could target him due to some poor rolling on my opponent's part. He doesn't get either of the other rhinos, but does kill the defiler.

On my turn, I get both oblits. One lands right up close to the demolisher, the other tries to land by the two surviving vendettas but scatters onto them and mishap. He gets to place them and puts them back behind one of my rhinos.

Oblits kill the demolisher, and the plagues try to melta the CCS chimera with plasma guys inside but only get a stunned result.

Turn 4:
He kills off the oblit squad that shot down the demolisher, and focuses fire on the plagues killing them all but leaving the sorc. In an amusing situation, the 4-plasma CCS shot out the top hatch... and killed 2 of their own. Since they were only 5 strong, they needed a morale check for 25% casualties which they promptly failed. They then broke and ran out of their chimera, fleeing towards their board edge.

On my turn, the lash sorc pounced on them, determined to not let them rally. He jumped out and pulled them into combat. The hope was to kill 2 of the 3, which happened... then have him pass his LD6 check, which he didn't. I ran him down, but then was left out in the open to get gunned down. Oblits shook a vendetta.

Turn 5:
He moves to contest one of my objectives along with getting units into my DZ. He moves a vendetta with the melta CCS (moved >6") to contest my objective. Then moves two chimeras with platoons and the other vendetta with a PCS into my DZ. Takes the empty CCS chimera and also contests one of my objectives.

Shooting kills the lash sorc + whittles down the exposed zerker squad down to 2 models.

On my turn 5, I play as if the game is going to end as I really don't have any other options. I disembark the remaining two zerker squads. One moves over to my uncontested objective. The other moves to be able to assault the chimera and possibly the vendetta with a high terrain roll. The 2 zerkers move next to each of the vehicles, too.

I hope to deal with them with shooting, since I have a combi-melta on a rhino get within 6" of the vendetta from the last mobile rhino, and combi-melta >6" from the immobile rhino from the chimera, and the last oblit squad.

The combi-meltas don't do anything, but the oblits are able to destroy the vendetta. The CCS suffers two casualties and passes the morale check. They deploy far back out of charge range of any zerkers, so no longer contesting the objective but conserves the KP.

The full zerker squad + 2 man squad charge the chimera. The regular attacks manage to get one glance, which immobilizes it. Then the 8 power fists at str 9 auto-hit and blow it up.

Unfortunately, the CCS passed the morale check from the vendetta exploding, so they keep their KP.

I roll and am able to end the game.

Primary is a draw, as we each control both of ours.
Tertiary is definitely claimed by my opponent.

We tally up KP.

He killed:
Daemon Prince
Chaos Sorc
Oblits
Defiler
Rhino
Rhino
Plagues
-------
7 KP's

I killed:
Marbo
Vendetta
Vendetta
Demolisher
CCS
Chimera
-------
6 KP's

Darn, if that CCS failed their LD check (or the PCS from the first vendetta exploding from the defiler), it would have been a draw on KP's. Oh well, I got lucky to end the game for a draw on the primary as it was..

So a loss in round 1, which is always painful. 7-22 was the final tally.

The game went about as I expected with a very shooty guard going first. I couldn't get out of my DZ. So down to the losers bracket for me!

Round 2:

Iyanden based Eldar

HQ:
Eldrad

Elites:
8 Howling Banshees

Troops:
10 Wraithguard + warlock w/ conceal
10 Wraithguard + warlock w/ conceal
10 Dire Avengers - exarch w/ dual-catapult + bladestorm
- wave serpent w/ bright lance, spirit stones
10 Dire Avengers - exarch w/ dual-catapult + bladestorm
- wave serpent w/ star cannon, spirit stones

Heavy Support:
Wraithlord - bright lance, missile launcher, 2xflamer
Wraithlord - bright lance, missile launcher, 2xflamer

Deployment: Spearhead

Primary: Victory Points
Secondary: Modified capture & control (objectives were in the neutral quarters, not your DZ quarters)
Tertiary: Have more surviving HQ units

Assessment: I'm fairly confident I can take this one. Lash is dangerous with runes of warding on the board, but still have a 50/50 chance. Or a 75% chance to get at least one if I double down. And a single lash in this kind of match-up can be crippling. He's short ranged for the most part, which is where my zerkers want to be. I don't think he can stop my rhino rush in time to avoid combat with his wraithguard units. The only thing is whether or not I can kill his banshees before he counter assaults a doomed unit.

He wins roll for first turn and defers.

Deployment: I have the bottom right corner, he has the top left. I deploy my zerker rhinos right up front & center on the starting line. Defiler also up as close as possible on the left of my DZ. Oblits are both on the top of my DZ. Plague rhino + lash prince are just behind the zerker rhinos. An aggressive deployment.

He responds by putting the wraithguard squads pretty far back (out of move + lash range), with the wraithguard in front of them. Both wave serpents are in the top-right section of his DZ. Banshees are behind the wraithguard.

He fails to seize and we start.

Turn 1:
I advance my zerker rhinos as far as possible. Front one pops smoke, the others use the front one for cover themselves. Plague rhino moves up towards his wave serpents some. Oblits shuffle to see wave serpents, too. Defiler moves forward. Lash prince advances, too, but stays behind rhinos for cover saves vs. any stray bright lance fire.

Oblits completely whiff on the serpents, but the defiler manages to kill 2 banshees.

One of his dire avenger squads disembarks and prepares to bladestorm some oblits. He shuffles forward with everything else some. Shooting doesn't do much to the smoking rhino, just shakes it. The dires kill two oblits with a bladestorm.

Turn 2:
My full health oblits move to see his dires and get clear sight on them. Plagues disembark to shoot meltas at the wave serpent that had the guys get out (other was out of range). Zerker rhinos advance again another 12". Prince stays behind cover. Oblits wipe out the dire avengers. Plagues immobilize and shake the wave serpent.

He moves the other wave serpent with guys still inside flat out to the top right to try and claim the objective in that quarter late game. Everything else shuffles forward. The wraithlords are now right in front of my lead rhino. Shooting pops the lead rhino, and the zerkers get out, ending up in charge range of one of the wraithlords. It double-flames me, though, and kills the guys closest to him.

Turn 3:
I make my move. One zerker squad moves to charge the closest wraithguard despite his fortune. The injured zerkers + last zerker squad move to combo-charge the two wraithguard. Plagues stay mostly where they are, planning on shooting some melta shots at one wraithguard before the charge. Defiler advances. Oblits move to where they can see the banshees but also the wave serpent in the corner.

Both lashers move to get range on the banshees. The first attempt causes a perils wound on the sorc, but the prince gets his off on the banshees and clumps them up in the open. Defiler lands on target and kills them all. Oblits are then able to down the second wave serpent despite his cover from moving flat out. Dire avengers get pinned.

I make my assaults, ending up leaving both wraithlords with 1 wound each. The wraithguard lose a couple to the power fist. Pile-ins take him out of Eldrad's fortune range.

On his turn, he starts moving eldrad + wraithguards south to the bottom objective.. there's not much else he can do as everything else is either pinned or in combat. Combat sees one wraithlord die, the other survive. The injured squad (down to just the PFist now) gets free by the other piling in first and blocking the other wraithlord's base.

Turn 4:
Plagues re-embark then them + lash prince move to control the top right objective. Defiler moves to eldrad's wraithguard. Lone PFist zerker joins other zerkers fighting wraithguard.

The sorc gets off his lash successfully this time and clumps up eldrad's unit near the defiler. Oblits shoot plasma cannons and kill a few, then defiler charges in. Eldrad's not in combat this phase, and the warlock doesn't do anything. Defiler kills 1.

The lone PFist zerker is killed by the one guy who can touch him before he swings. Otherwise, I win combat by 1 with the other squad. I kill the last wraithlord.

On his turn, Eldrad kills the defiler with his one attack with the spear. His other wraithguard squad gets finished off.

Turn 5:
Lash prince charges the dires on the top right of the board while the plagues move onto the objective. Oblits kill the immobilized wave serpent. Both zerker squads + lash sorc charge eldrad's unit. One powerfist manages to touch eldrad directly, but he makes his saves. Dire avengers lose by 2 but hold.

He's in combat only. Dire avengers break and get run down. Eldrad and unit are wiped out, too. He's tabled.

I'm up on VP's, I've got plagues on one objective, and I have surviving HQ's for full points.

30-0.

He should have taken first turn, to try and stall my rhinos earlier.. but otherwise, I think it was just a bit of a list mismatch. His troops are very hard to shoot down, and has some strong counter assault elements. I was able to kill his weaker counter assaulters with shooting, though, and break through his wraithlords pretty easy to get to his wraithguards... who really don't like WS5 power fists.

Very nice guy, though. And the army looked great.

So for the last round, they didn't pair up the players only by battle points. They included paint scores + sportsmanship into the last round pairings, which confused me a bit. But I ended up on table 2 after soft scores were added in (two of the players with higher BP's than me didn't have everything finished paint-wise). This left me paired up against a double seer council eldar army. A very different flavor of eldar than what I just faced.

Round 3:

Double Jetseer Eldar

HQ:
Farseer - Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, bike, fortune, doom, spirit stones
Farseer - Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, bike, fortune, doom, spirit stones
Warlock Council - 8 guys, 2 w/embolden, 1 w/enhance, 1 w/ destructor, 2 w/ spears, 2 plain
Warlock Council - 8 guys, 2 w/embolden, 1 w/enhance, 1 w/ destructor, 2 w/ spears, 2 plain

Troops:
5 dire avengers
5 guardian jetbikes - shuriken cannon
6 guardian jetbikes - shuriken cannon

Heavy Support:
Fire Prism - spirit stones

Deployment: Pitched battle

Primary: Table Quarters
Secondary: Kill Points
Tertiary: Have more units in enemy DZ than he has in yours

Assessment: Hrmm. Not a great match-up for this mission. Table quarters are going to be really really hard for me to get with his holo-tanks zooming all over the place late in the game.. and he's got some really tough to get KP's on his warlock councils + fire prisms. Plus, with his mobility, he'll be able to get into my DZ much easier than I can get into his. I'm not that confident going into the game that I'll be able to get many points, really. I believe the mission favors my opponent since he doesn't have to worry about exposing his weak troop squads to claim objectives.

I win the roll for first turn, and despite it being a fixed-length 6 turn game, I take first turn. I need to jump to the middle of the board first popping smoke on rhinos before he starts popping them with fire prisms.

Deployment: I've got one oblits in the center and the other on the right, both in terrain. All three zerker rhinos are close to each other, near the center of my DZ (just to the left). Plague rhino is in terrain to their right. Sorc is with the plagues. DP is in the center, too. He has a large ruined building in the center of his DZ and has a seer council on either side. He puts one fire prism in each corner and the third behind the main building. The troops are all in reserve.

He fails to seize and we start the game.

Turn 1:
Plague rhino immobilizes itself on terrain (doh). Zerker rhinos all move up 12", the front one popping smoke and the others using it for cover. Defiler gets a direct hit on the right hand seer council, wounding 4. One fails the 4+ invul and dies. Oblits shoot at prisms but do nothing.

In his turn, he shoots at the zerker rhinos but doesn't do anything appreciable (shaken results only). Each seer squad turbo-boosts. The one on the right towards the oblits, the one on the left about 14" from the nearest zerker rhino. [note that the far seers always fortune their squad every turn]

Turn 2:
Well, I decide to risk going all out at one council. I need a single lash to go off, and I've got 2 chances at it. I disembark all my zerkers and move them to assault the seer council. One is barely in range, the others are out and will need lash. Both lashers move to be able to get sight & range on them.

Oblits shoot at the prisms and again do no damage at all. Defiler shoots ineffectually at the council on the right.

First lash causes a perils on the sorc. Second lash from the prince goes off, distance of 5". That is *barely* enough to get the third zerker squad into combat, but they all make it. The massive charge cripples the first seer council, and importantly the other one is out of counter charge range.

On his turn two, he dooms the oblits on the right. Prisms are underwhelming in their shooting, but they aren't taking any damage in return. Shooting from the seer council on the right puts 3 wounds on the oblits. He charges in, but needed to go through terrain so we're simo. I kill one with the PFist attacks, he kills them in return. Massacres closer to the defiler. I kill the other seer council to just the farseer and one guy, who break but get away.

Turn 3:
One zerker squad stays within 6" of the fleeing seer council, another starts moving to try and threaten the fire prism on the left, while the third (who are all mostly fine other than 1 or 2 dead throughout) move towards the second seer council. The plagues and second oblit squad also move toward the seer council. With a good lash, the third zerker squad could make the charge, too.

Stupidly, I forget to move the DP. Stupid stupid.. Anyway, I set it up again where if I get at least one lash off, I can charge the plagues + oblits at the second council to lock them up for a while (they're not good against things with 2+ or 3+/4+ saves). I do get one off, after taking a second perils wound (this time on the prince). The DP was supposed to join that fight, targetting specifically the farseer but forgetting to move him is bad.

Also, the lash was again very small distance, so the zerker unit that had moved from the center couldn't make it, either.

Plagues & oblits make the charge, locking them up.

Rest of game summary:
So eventually the DP, defiler, and lash sorc join the combat against the second seer council and kill it after oblits finally get a PFist insta-kill on the farseer. After that, he can't stop the lash, but it's pretty late game. I manage to lash his dires into the open to kill with the surviving oblits, and lash one jetbike squad into a charge from the sorc who breaks them. One zerker squad does get stuck in the open and killed by prisms at one point, though.

I'm unable to touch his fireprisms, though. On the bottom of 6, he moves flat out with them to get in three table quarters with his last jetbike squad in the 4th to contest them all. One also gets in my DZ while I have a zerker squad in his.

So primary is a draw, since he's contesting all of them with those damn holo-prisms. Tertiary is also a draw since we each have one unit in the enemy DZ.

We add up KP's.

I have:
Farseer
Farseer
Warlock Squad
Warlock Squad
Dire Avengers
Jetbike Squad
-------
6 KP's

He has:
Lash Sorc
Zerkers
Rhino
Oblits
-------
4 KP's

So I keep secondary.

Final result was 19-9. A minor victory, which in this mission against a dual seer council army I was pretty happy with - especially since it was almost more.

In the end, I finished tied for third with the eldar player from that last round. Not too bad considering I got trounced fairly thoroughly in the first round. Overall, a fun time - though I'm looking forward to having my Dark Eldar done for the next series which I think starts in Feb? Maybe March.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cool stuff. That 3rd round sounded like a 4th edition batrep...3 holo-tanks blitzing into the table quarters on the (fixed) 6th turn... amusing. I miss the days where every tournament played Cleanse II and it was auto-win against X, unless X=Necrons.

Out of curiosity, who was the Guard player in round 1?

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh, yeah, tell me about it. In that last game, Stephen even commented that he felt like you with the holo-tanks hanging back most of the game and then zooming into quarters on the bottom of 6.

And round 1 was Jesse. He's dropped his orks for new IG.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Great batreps. Too bad about the IG army. They seem to do well against MEQ's....if they're able to get 1st turn. That 1st round of shooting can be crippling. And that 2x seer council list looks positively nasty, though with lash you do have an answer to his flame-then-assault tactics. Hmmmm...seems like IG's are now taking a lot of the tournies. Could they be the new #1's? Not if my space puppies have anything to say about that. Heh, heh...

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IG are certainly top tier, whether #1 or not is debatable.. but if they go first, they certainly have enough firepower nowadays to cripple what it is they need to to get the upper hand (if they have built their list properly). When they don't go first and the opponent gets the opening shots / can pop smoke before taking fire, it's a much more difficult game for them. At least that's been my experience, anyway.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
debatable, but i personally think SW top it at the moment. but i feel the new nidz will have something very big, large, shaved, boney, ugly, smelly and dirty to go to being no.1 ^^
thanks
antique_nova

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - and yea, I always want to take pictures, but either forget my camera or get worried that it will slow down the game and we won't finish. I'll see what I can do next time.

·
Aspiring Champion
695 Posts
Good read as usual. Shooty IG look very annoying as Mech anything, hopefully my regular opponent doesnt go down that route with his new IG army.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.