Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey,

Ive been playing warhammer seriously for a while now, and while i like my undead (VC) army, i also wanted to try something else. Whilst playing with my VC, i noticed that i get the best results when playing defensively (its because of my playstyle, defence suits me better :)) Thus, after a tourney with a pretty defensive (summon heavy, 14 PD) VC list, i decided to go for a more defensive oriented race. What better choice then the dwarfs? so heres my first attempt list. My club has basically all races covered so i have to expect everything.
Without further adoo, heres the list:

Lord: 1 (296)
Dwarf Lord
- Great Weapon
- MS Kragg
- Rune of fury
- Rune of snorri
- MS rune of spite
- shield bearer

Heroes:

Thane: 1 (175)
-BSB
- Rune of Battle
- Rune of Courage
- Rune of Guarding

Runesmith: 1 (151)
- Master Rune of Balance
- Rune of Spellbreaking
- shield

Runesmith: 1 (151)
- Master Rune of Spellbinding
- Rune of spellbreaking
- shield

Core:

Longbeards: 20 (290 )
- FC
- Shield
- Rune of Battle

Thunderes: 10 (150 )
- Shield

Quarrelers: 10 (150 )
- Shield

Special

Bolt Thrower: 1 (65)
- Engineer
- Rune of Burning

Bolt Thrower: 1 (85)
- Engineer
- Rune of penetrating

Hammerers: 16 (258 )
- FC
-Shield
- Rune of determination

Ironbreakers: 10 (160 )
- FC

Rare
Organ Gun 1 (-)

comments/feedback appreciated

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't take the same rune of several different people/units unless it strictly says like for example on the "rune of stone"
with that in mind, im fairly certain u cant have multiple runes of spellbreaking and runes of battle on different people/units like you do...

..after that note, 10 slayers is useless and will be obliterated since theyre going to get to get charged and annihilated or shot up like no ones business, either 15-20 works quite well though, skip the 10 = pointless

Organ gun is 120pts and worth every point especially since it auto hits and u can re-roll the firing dice if you dont like the number once also with -3 armor on anything it hits, cahos knights disappear quickly (i run two in my larger armies)

Dwarves with greatweapons are amazing (especially since they go last anyways lol) but! using the Master Rune of Kragg the Grim on your thane, i just find it a waste of points, especially when you can buy him +2 S for the same amount of points

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can take take the same runes more than once, u just can't take the same combinations.

I would really think about giving your lord an wardsave and put him on shieldbearers(immune to killingblow, us 3) And you can lose the ms rune of gromgrill and resistance. maybe 2x rune of iron or even ms rune of spite.

Your runesmiths only carry handweapons maybe want to put some shields on them because there vulnerable, maybe remove the rune of spellbinding (you got a dispell pool of 7 and 2 dispell runes)

I also think your BSB is quite expensive because he is very vulnerable (4+ as, 5+ws ) Ill gues you put him in the longbeards but if you put him in the hammerers your rune of courage would be useless.

I'm not a fan of slayers because they are food for the arrows and bullets. But that's my personal opinion. Like the models though:p

You don't have much infantrycombat units so i would advise to put a gurocopter in the army to slow the opponents army and just execute him with your guns and crossbows, organ gun and bolt thrower. Maybe put an extra rune of penetrating next to rune of burning on you bolt thrower.
If you really are a defence fan, why don't u use ironbreakers then? Hammerers also are very vulnerable too shooting. Maybe 2 units of 10 ironbreakers and a small unit of hammerers (15)

Hope i could help :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have edited my list according to the advice, though i still dont really know what to do wuth the bsb thane. Is there any benefit in loosing the runes (going for a 'naked banner' so to speak) and give him some runes to defend himself with (like runes of iron or something)

Any other advice still appreciated ofcourse

·
Registered
210 Posts
i have edited my list according to the advice, though i still dont really know what to do wuth the bsb thane. Is there any benefit in loosing the runes (going for a 'naked banner' so to speak) and give him some runes to defend himself with (like runes of iron or something)

Any other advice still appreciated ofcourse
Yes ofcourse, most people prefer this tactic because he's vulnerable and does low damage. Maybe ms rune of swiftness,rune of fury, rune of cleaving and rune of stone, gives him 3+ save and makes him kill almost anything in fron of him.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ahven't been playing with dwarfs for very long, but from the experience that I do have then I would say that you do not need both ironbreakers and Hammerers. I personally would take out one of them and make the other one bigger and with a magic banner. (rune of battle)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have revisited my list with a friend of mine (a very good warhammer player) and with his advice (and yours from the forum) have come up with changes in the list. I will repost the list (due to the number of changes) and hope for some more advice.

Characters:

Dwarf Lord 293
MS rune of Spite
Rune of stone
Rune of Cleaving
Rune of Snorri Spanglehelm
Rune of Fury
Shieldbearers
Shield

Thane (ive gone with the naked banner thane here) 165
BSB
MS rune of Swiftness
Rune of cleaving
Rune of fury

Runesmith 151
GW
Shield
MS rune of Balance
Rune of spellbreaking

Runesmith 126
GW
Shield
MS rune of spellbinding

Core:

Longbeards (20 ) 265
SHield
FC

Thunderes (10 )
Shield

Quarellers (10 )
Shield

Special

Bolt thrower 65
Rune of Burning

Bolt thrower 85
Rune of penetrating

Hamerrers (18 ) 309
FC
Rune of Battle
Rune of determination

Miners (9 ) 150
Musician
Prospector (Steam Drill)

Rare:
Organ Gun

Any advice would be welcome as always and thanks all for the advice so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think that you should probably put the miners unit up to 10 men just so it gets a rank bonus, but it's not that major.
Apart from that then your lists as good as gold.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, okay i will run with this list tp test it...
Just one more question: since i dont have any experience with dwarfs, where do you guys suggest I place my Runesmiths?
Are they ok, i mean can they protect themselves if the yget into combat (so a place among the longbeards) or putting them with the thunderes/quarrelers is better?
Lord goes into hammerers ofcourse, and what about the thane? I was thinking the longbeards but is that ok? or is hammeres a better place?

What are the thoughts on dwarf character placing?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Runesmiths are not as strong as thanes but if they use their shield they have an AS of 2 + so they will take care of themselves:p I would problably put them in the longbeards or the hammers, see it like champions, if you put them in the thunderers or quarrelers, well this are not very good units for combat, so if they will be charged your runesmith is as good as dead

1 - 10 of 10 Posts