Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm playing in a tournament soon and this is the list i've been fooling around with but can't decide 100%

CHARACTERS
tomb king
destroyer of eternities
collar of shapesh
light armour

tomb prince
chariot of fire
flail
shield
light armour

liche priest (hiero)
cloak of dunes

liche priest
casket of souls

CORE
20 archers w/music

20 archers w/music

3 chariots

SPECIAL
1 scorpion

1 scorpion

19 tomb guard w/music, icon of rakaph

5 carrion

RARE

1 screaming skull catapult with skulls of the foe

I played with this the other day vs someone who will be in the tournament and massacred him but it felt more like luck as my army seemed quite small for some reason. I also have no magical defence so was tossing up about dropping icon of rakaph and something else to try and squeeze in a dispell scroll. Advice?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would drop 10 archers before dropping anything else.

Also, think about giving your chariot prince the Icon of Rulership so that he can go off by himself and negate ranks.

If you dropped the 10 archers, you would have enough for 2 Dispel Scrolls & the Icon for your chariot.

I guess it might help also to put banner of the undying legion on the larger unit of bowmen if you do that.

If you dropped the King's Light armor, the prince's shield (flails are 2 handed, but maybe you want it for protection against shooting?) and a musician, you could probably purchase a champion for the tomb guard as well. Every little bit helps.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much response this is the list i usually run which has beaten all the armies i'll be vsing in the tournament before except for chaos (has drawn though)

tomb king
destroyer of eternities
collar of shapesh

tomb prince
chariot of fire
flail
light armour
chariot

liche priest
cloak of the dunes
dispell scroll

Liche priest
casket of souls

total - 879

CORE:
20 archers
music

20 archers
music

3 chariots

3 chariots

total - 570

SPECIAL:
tomb scorpion

tomb scorpion

19 tomb guard
music
standard
banner of undying legion

total - 441

RARE:
catapult
skulls of the foe

total - 2000

·
Registered
294 Posts
I really like the look of both lists here bud. All solid choices and no obvious problems.

All things considered I would also like to see some carrion in a list that has so many points invested in archers so they can march block and help get the most from your skellies. Having said that I would also really like to keep both chariot units so I'm not sure where you could find the points for even 3 of them TBH.

You could consider dropping one of the archer blocks, some music and a scroll for a unit of light cav, 3 carrion and SoRav (+ steed). This should give you about the same firepower over the course of a game but probably a significant edge in flexibility.

Personally, I would also be tempted to jiggle the cloak and collar around a bit. I always like a ward save on the casket priest because they do tend to attract more than their fair share of mischief. Botul and the priests are usually adequate to keep the king in one piece -particularly if you also have a mounted liche who can move around to support the king on an 'away mission'.

I also like the cloak on the DoE armed king because he makes for a fantastic troubleshooter with the mobility and muscle to deal with all those little -and invariably not so little ;) problems that seem to crop up in every game. Additionally it also allows him to add some much needed kills to the combat res of whatever unit happens to be in meelee at the time. Since a TK with DoE is so effective (and expensive) it's nice to make the most of them and ensure he is always where the action is.

Clearly all of these things are personal choice rather than right or wrongs, but if you haven't tried the cloak on the king I would wholeheartedly recommend you give it a try.

In any case, please do let us know how you get on at the tourney. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I like your idea of dropping the archer block but i'm still not sure on putting my heiro in a unit of light cav (i usually run that set up of staff of rav + 5 light cav on my second priest when i have no casket but he can die easy if they target him) Below is a list using some of your ideas.

HEROES
tomb king
destroyer of eternities
collar of shapesh
light armour

tomb prince
chariot of fire
enchanted shield
spear
light armour
chariot

liche priest
cloak of the dunes
dispell scroll

Liche priest
casket of souls
plaques of mighty incantaions

total - 922

CORE:
20 archers
music
standard
banner of the undying legion

3 chariots

3 chariots

total - 440

SPECIAL:
3 carrion

tomb scorpion

tomb scorpion

19 tomb guard
music
standard
icon of rakaph

total - 528

RARE:

catapult
skulls of the foe

total - 2000

I've added 3 carrion to march block, plaques on casket priest so i can ensure he rolls decent on his smiting to draw out dice, icon of rakaph on tomb guard for obvious reason, undying on skeletons to help them stay alive/draw out dice. Still iffy on this list as it's different to what i usually run with but i'll see how it goes in a friendly or 2 next week.
Not too sure if i like the look of the standards, i would probably prefer undying on the tomb guard then cursing word on my chariots and no standard on my archers but i'll see what i run with.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not too sure if i like the look of the standards, i would probably prefer undying on the tomb guard then cursing word on my chariots and no standard on my archers but i'll see what i run with.
I like the look of the list -it's definately one I would feel comfortable playing myself.

Personally I would keep the banners as they are, but it's your list so I would go with whatever works for you. I certainly wouldn't use SotCW in any event.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well i gave the above list a go against a wood elf player who's in this tournament and pulled out a marginal victory (i stuffed up my deployment and spread out to much because i was worried about some terrain i had in my zone then stuffed up by making a noob charge with one of my 3 chariot units that was pointless). The list did ok but my casket did nothing all game and my catapult took out 1 lone wizard with a partial and did nothing else but misfire. The things that felt off were really my prince in chariot is very weak besides pushing out the impact hits (which i managed to roll 6+1 flaming impact hits on a big ass tree man, rolled to wound and managed 2 wounds and 5 1's :S ), carrion got shot up first turn (my bad didn't realise he had scouts who could deploy in the open in my deployment zone) and a general lack of hard hitters. I really am stumped as to how to squeeze 3 ushabti into this list aswell, dropping 3 chariots would seem the way but then i'm stuck with only 2 core! arrghhh so frustrating. I'm considering splitting the archers into 2x10, dropping a scorpion & chariot, reworking magic (maybe swap out rakaph for undying) and then chucking in the 4 ushabti.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have you considered using Enkhil's Kanopi on your Casket Priest instead of the Plaques? I only really see the Plaques being viable on a HLP. I've always wondered how it would work on a LP but never had the guts to try it out.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
I have always found that Chariot Princes tend to carry rubber weapons... Hence why mine stay on foot and i just go with an extra chariot lol.

Just incase, did the WE player know his rules? Those guys cant deploy in the open, they must still be in terrain. Unless they are more than... 12" or 18" (cant remember exactly) away from any of your guys (even if they are out of all lines of sight) as they may do normally. Just something to check next time you play, many players tend to get this ruling wrong, and its cost me greatly before.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phoneix, he said these guys had special scouting rules and could deploy in line of sight within 10" even in my deployment zone. I may check the book to confirm his got this right. Anyway we are now going to be using the direwolf faq (magic resist ftl) and our tables have set hills only in the corners so the caskets gonna be pretty useless(there's also set hills in the middle blocking alot of l.o.s). I've changed the list abit and will either run this or my dwarfs. I know what your saying about the chariot princes against most things he gets his ass whooped but this tournie has afew enemies with regen, flamable and ASF high elves so i'm more hoping his d6+1 flaming impact hits help out. Also with him in their and my mounted preist sticking close i should be able to get a urgency off on my chariots pretty easily now.

HEROES
tomb king
destroyer of eternities
collar of shapesh
light armour

tomb prince
chariot of fire
enchanted shield
spear
light armour
chariot

liche priest
cloak of the dunes
dispell scroll

Liche priest
steed
staff of rav

CORE:
22 archers
music

5 light horsemen

2 swarm

3 chariots

3 chariots

SPECIAL:
3 carrion

tomb scorpion

tomb scorpion

19 tomb guard
music
standard
icon of rakaph

RARE:

catapult
skulls of the foe

total - 1999

·
Registered
294 Posts
our tables have set hills only in the corners so the caskets gonna be pretty useless(there's also set hills in the middle blocking alot of l.o.s).
Hills in the middle aside, this sounds like an almost ideal set up for your casket IMHO (a hill in the corner is actually something I look for if I get to choose a table edge). Why not just castle up on the hill and use the table edge to help protect your flank? If you deploy on a refused flank then you should be golden.

Remember the hills in the middle will also block his LOS so you can use this to shield your chariots in the early turns. In any event I doubt the blocked LOS will be the problem you expect it to be because he still wont want the casket going off on him and he'll be forced to come towards it to dislodge you anyway. :)

·
7,143 Posts
Ill look into the scouting thing and get back to you with an exact ruling if necessary.

As for the Magic Resistance thing, you mean you're playing that it doesn't work against the Casket right? (As per the most recent FAQ)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They were going to rule that you DO get magric resitance however me and another player spoke to the t.o last night and we're going to play as normal that you don't so i'm taking the casket again.

·
7,143 Posts
They were going to rule that you DO get magric resitance however me and another player spoke to the t.o last night and we're going to play as normal that you don't so i'm taking the casket again.
Good good :)

Oh, and as for the scouting... seems yet another WE player has not read the rules / misread them / etc and gained a stupidly unfair advantage. His scouts (just the Waywatchers), may be deployed in ONE of TWO ways (Bold and capitals highlight the usual suspect flaws)

1) EXACTLY like scouts, but with no minimum distance between them and the enemy. By the Main Rules, page 96, this means that they MUST be "out of sight" of the enemy AND "in or behind interposing terrain".

OR

2) In sight of the enemy (even in the open) but more than 12" away.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could be wrong he may have deployed them 12 away...
Anyway first day of tournie is over and i'm quite happy with myself i guess.

First match vs lizardmen with carnosaur and engine on a board with no hills and alot of l.o.s blocked by building, i won that one 14-6

Next game was woodies on a map with 2 big difficult terrain pieces acting like forests. Managed to win this 19-1.

Next game against another woodies player on the same map. This guy utilised the terrain and just sat his army in forests most of the game so i couldn't really touch him. He won that one 16-4.

All up i think i am sitting in 4th place and scheduled to play high elves on a table that has 5 difficult terrain pieces my chariots can't go over (1 in each deployment zone essentially splitting it into 2 segments for my chariots) Not liking the look of this table afew people already complained it has too much terrain blocking l.o.s but i'm going to struggle with essentially 2 flanks dead to my chariots and terrain in the middle too :S

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
For anyone interested i ended up pulling out 2nd place in the friendly tournie i entered this list in.

First game today vs high elves i lost something like 13-7, this was really due to my chariots fluffing. Rolled up 11 impact hits, 8 wounds, he ward saved 7 of them then destroyed with ASF, other chariot unit hit swordmasters and rolled 3 impact hits no wounds.....After that my scorpions destoryed his bolt throwers and archers, he destroyed my catapult and casket and pulled out a 302pt win.

Second game i won 20-0 vs empire, opponent conceded at his turn 3, wish i could say i played well but he just rolled horribly, outriders paniced from my archers and took a wizard with them, his canon and hellcanon misfired then fled from my 2 scorpions emerging off the board taking a unit of swordsmen and pistol guys with them, my chariots with prince rolled through his pike men then through his spearmen on the next turn overrun, casket took out a unit of pistol guys, other chariots took his flaggelants down to 2 models. He conceded with 5 knights and 15 greatswords on the table and not a single wound done to me.

Pretty happy with second place as everyone seemed to agree the terrain set up really favoured the wood elves with every table bar one having 3-4 forests and difficult terrain pieces in vital spots not including the ones they drop for free. The list i settled on did quite well and only seemed to have a weakness with dealing with wood elves sitting in forests. Wood elves took 1st, My Tk second and WoC took 3rd (so happy i didn't face this guy his an awesome player with a tough list!) and i think another WoC list drew with high elves for 4th

·
Registered
142 Posts
Firstly I would like to say GRATZ on your 2nd place. You have clearly shown the strength of our frequently under-estimated army.

Secondly, I am aware this report is trivial, but I am bored with little else to do so this is for "next time" i suppose.

Phoneix, he said these guys had special scouting rules and could deploy in line of sight within 10" even in my deployment zone. I may check the book to confirm his got this right. Anyway we are now going to be using the direwolf faq (magic resist ftl) and our tables have set hills only in the corners so the caskets gonna be pretty useless(there's also set hills in the middle blocking alot of l.o.s). I've changed the list abit and will either run this or my dwarfs. I know what your saying about the chariot princes against most things he gets his ass whooped but this tournie has afew enemies with regen, flamable and ASF high elves so i'm more hoping his d6+1 flaming impact hits help out. Also with him in their and my mounted preist sticking close i should be able to get a urgency off on my chariots pretty easily now.
As a Wood Elf player, it is my understanding that there is no need to be in terrain, waywatchers can deploy at any distance out of LoS, or 12" in LoS. However remember that your SSC has 360 LoS as a war-machine.

HEROES
tomb king
destroyer of eternities
collar of shapesh
light armour
Ye I like this King, good for what he is meant for. Though I agree with the guy earlier: if you can get cloak on this guy and fly him around smashing things easily. He basically acts as a trouble shooter, a woodelf alter noble (which seeing as you played two WE players you no doubt know how destructive they are). The best thing is with his magic he can move 40" which is....advantageous

tomb prince
chariot of fire
enchanted shield
spear
light armour
chariot
Swap E.Shield, Spear and Chariot of Fire for Spear of Antarhak + normal shield. I normally put this on a King with banner of sacred eye but should work relatively well on prince, 3x S5 against basic WS4 T3 sv 4+ foot soldiers is 2 hits, 1.66 wounds, 1.388 kills and returned wounds. If you have a missing chariot and raise it this spear has the potential to give an extra 4 attacks, just remember to use it first.

liche priest
cloak of the dunes
dispell scroll
Yeah fair enough, though if you need to economise, drop the scroll.

Liche priest
steed
staff of rav
I like it. SoR priests are vital for extra fire power and Dispell Dice bleeding

CORE:
22 archers
music
yep fair enough

5 light horsemen
Bigger if you do put heiro in here, otherwise fine

2 swarm
okey doke

3 chariots
If you putting a character in, you really want a standard bearer and magic banner. I suggest Cursing word to take out up to 4 heavy cavalry per turn or Sacred Eye for better attacks from steeds, crewmen and TP.

3 chariots
I find 4 chariots greatly improves a unit's destructive power
SPECIAL:
3 carrion
3 is good for taking out war machines, solo character hunting, movement blocking and suicidal wizard-in-unit killing/hurting, 4 allows for more reliable wizard hunting, allowing a greater possibility of two turns and the killing of small skirmishing units and small ranged units eg 10 man marksmen units.

tomb scorpion
fine, however 2x tomb scorp + Tomb swarm may be a bit excessive. However this means your opponant will be avoiding 3 points of entry.

tomb scorpion
(see above)

19 tomb guard
music
standard
icon of rakaph
Personally I am not a fan of this banner. It is mediocre and I don't understand how you would use it effectively in what appears to be an aggressive list. Take BoUL for more dispel bleeding and skele raising

RARE:
catapult
skulls of the foe
SoF is vital on catapults. It increases chance of Ld 7 troops running by 1/6, which is brilliant when your opponant prized chaos knights flee and take an extra turn getting to you.

total - 1999

Once again, gratz on 2nd place and good luck in the future

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.