2* armored sentinel + plasmacannon 150pts
2* scout sentinel + lascan 100pts

heavy: 400points
1* baselisk
1* baselisk
1* leman russ

2k to the dot.

good news:
*Icon of choas glory effect on most of the vital infantry which is gunline with deepstrike deterents
*solid meqbusting capacity on vehicles
*solid ammount of armor ( 11 vehicles )
*solid antitank with so many meltagun squads
*decent horde killing capacity except vs orkz
*decent ammount of wounds on the table ( 174 @ T3 I think)
*relativly cheap to build as I can just buy another 5 boxes of cadian battle forces to get most of the infantry and all the sentinels done.

I was thinking the vets could do more damage with plasmaguns but I'm not so sure 4 meltaguns, 2 baselisks and 2 lascans are enough AT vs dedicated armored company lists.

@ 40GBP I'm not going to buy any valks so don't suggest it :p

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: Decent. The sniper rifles slow the unit down and stop it moving behind your lines to issue orders and provide leadership rerolls etc. Grenade launchers would be better. Drop a bodyguard for carapace armour maybe.

Troops: Are those vanilla all lasgun squads? Put ML or AC in each squad and put a GL in there too. Heavy weapon squads are ok with the bring it down order for example but they get shot and have poor leadership. Veterans look good.

Fast: I'm not convinced plasma sentinels are worth the cost. Plasma sponsons on basic leman russ tanks seem a better bet and tend to last longer too. Scout sentinels are good however if you outflank with them.

Heavy: If you ditch the plasma sentinels get 3 russ with plasma sponsons. Basilisks are ok but are vulnerable and difficult to keep out of LOS. Griffins or Hydras are beter in my view.

·
The Allmighty Chaos Boots
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HQs
I don't see them as moving like ever. they are to stick to any 4+ cover they can find and cammocloak for a juicy 3+ cover and then be shielded by the meat hence the sniper rifles. I think if these squads move out of cover, ever, they will be massacred as they in effect turn an army with 3 wounds per squad into an army that actually gets the full 174 wounds. This army will be so tightly packed that any failed moral roles will cause instant death for the unit. when the standards fall this build falls apart.

troops:
they are not vanilla.
granade launchers don't really do anything imo and I want to keep costs down. Id rather have 1 armored sentinel with pcan than 12 granadelaunchers. if they were S5 i would change my mind.

fast:
removing sentinels to make room for leman russes. hmm well they can take a beating yes but the sponsoons make those tanks dirt expensive and AV 13 sides vs multimelta @ 12" is not a recepie for success. Id rather have less clout for and more durability but maybe I will conclude that armored sentinels suck after tommorrows field test. I'll think about it.

heavy.
baselisk + fire on my targte order just isn't funny.
3 russes with sponsoons floods my heavy slots and take up more than 25% of the points available. I would go from 11 pieces of armor to just 7. I think my normal opponents can take down 7 pieces of armor too fast. It's all deepstriking meltas and multimeltas here. I need to overwhelm enemy at consisting on average of 3 deepstriking multimeltas 2 scout missile lunchers and a variety of deepstriking meltaguns. maybe I'm wrong about this... will try your idea out.

was thinking about scrapping 1 of the armored sentinels to get a techpriest in there to keep the guns firing.

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
HQ:
Company command squad *2 310pts
1 company commander
1 vet + banner
1 vet + medpac
2 vets sniper
2 bodyguards
whole unit cammo cloaks
I like this; between the cover, Medpacks and the Standards it's going to be very difficult to kill them. Plus if you're playing it as a gunline army the Standards remove the need for Commissars, meaning it'll be harder to tie up squad after squad in CC. I'd consider Voxing up if you're not taking Commissars, although Ld8 tests aren't difficult to pass.

This looks solid enough to me; not very mobile, but there are enough big guns and pie-plates to keep the pressure on from range and plenty of cheap infantry. Plus you've got your Chimeras and Scout Sentinels zooming around to keep people occupied while your Basilisks, Plasma Cannons and LRBT pound away.
Combining the meltagun squads might be worth thinking about; it does cut down the number of targets you can engage and makes it easier for people to inflict Morale checks on your squads, but it also makes your army slightly easier to control and means that if anything is silly enough to come within 12" of the gunline you get twice as many shots per FRFSRF as you would otherwise. I'd rejig the organisation of your Platoons so's you've got two Platoons with 2x Meltagun squads and 1x ML squad, and three Platoons with 3x ML squads; same number of weapons, same points cost, just means it's easier to Combine lasguns if you feel you'd like to.

EDIT: Mad Cat is right, you can only issue Orders to infantry.

·
The Allmighty Chaos Boots
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
bleh then whats the point of fire on my target. I mean come on you NEED to throw that order at a baselisk :p

I did some field testing and it turns out the marale thing worked just as I thought on the other hand lasguns really really suck. especially in the hands of a guardsman.

I also had a slight ironclad problem in my last game which wasn't funny at all.

The Chimeras however where killing things left and right so here is a little update.

HQ:
Company command squad *2 320pts
1 company commander +meltabombs (hate ironclads and can you charge with crew shaken?)
1 vet + banner
1 vet + medpac
2 vets sniper (forgot to fire these most of the time)
2 bodyguards
whole unit cammo cloaks

2 chimeras 110 pts (for the command squads, Multilasers are evil)

troops:
IG platoon *3 660 points
command squad
1 IG squad + meltagun
2 IG squads +hws ML

veteran squad *2 310 points
vet squad + 3 meltagun
chimera

Fast:
1* armored sentinel + plasmacannon 75pts

heavy: 375points
1* baselisk
1* baselisk
1* baselisk

2k to the dot. (the original list appears to have had an excel fualt in it as it costs 2300 points not 2000 this has been rectified with the result that I am no longer convinced on having enough wounds on the table for it to win @ 2k

plowing down 320 points just to keep 1k points of troops standing is a bit steep for IoCG imo. They really don't do much of anything apart from that maybe I should give them a HWS each with a lascan or something but then I will again be over the top on points.

cons
*139 wounds is a far cry from 174
*not enough armor on the table to flood AT 10 medium tanks is not 11 the target rich environment became a bit poorer.
*a bit of a shortage of long range clout. The list does not do enough damage at range to stop a charge.
*not enough short range clout to kill off the units that killed the cc screening units due to a shortage of lasgun shots. the list needs to produce in excess of 200 lasgun shots to kill a single zerker unit. and I had a single lone SM sarge massacre 3! 10 man squads and a platoon command squad alone! before I decided enough was enough and shot him with a baselisk at point blank range.
*missile launchers are not enough in 5:th to kill armor at range. I had to use the baselisks to kill the enemy hellfire dredds.

soo... my options...

drop the troops down to a bare minimum and change the hqs to support armor.
max out of armored sentinels with plasma and lascanons. keep the baselisks but add at least 2 more tanks as heavy support prolly leman russes with hbolter sponsoons.
use only vets in chimeras as troops dropping them down to bare bones.

maybe something liek this:
Company command squad *1 200pts
1 company commander +meltabombs (hate ironclads and can you charge with crew shaken?)
1 vet + banner
1 vet + medpac
2 vets sniper (forgot to fire these most of the time)
1 bodyguards
whole unit cammo cloaks
chimera

2* this:
platoon command squad + meltabombs 700pts
2*veterans with meltaguns and chimeras

2 baselisks 250pts
1 leman russ + hbolter sponsson 170pts
1 leman russ + hbolter sponsson 170pts

3* armored sentinel + lascannon 210pts?

2000pts

the infantry no longer makes any sense as they would probably be betteroff toting plasmaguns but the rest of it could work.

5 chimeras
7 armored sentinels
2 tough as nails tanks
2 good arty

mmm that would be about:
4 pieplates of doom
3 lascannons
4 plasma cannons
12 meltaguns
2 sniper rifles
5 multilasers
11 heavy bolters