3 x spirit hosts

rare
1 x varghulf

heroes
vampire with dark acolyte + lord of the dead + book of arkhan
vampire with dark acolyte + lord of the dead + flying hauberk + dispel scroll
wight king + barded steed + bsb + drakenhoff banner

lord
vampire lord + 1 mag lvl + dark acolyte + lord of the dead + infinite hatred + dread knight + walachs bloody armour + blood drinker

lord and wight king goes in unit black knights
vampires both in two smallest units skellies

·
Acting XO of Tanith 1st
1,349 Posts
seems pretty solid. the only downside is if your going against an army with heavy magic defense your kinda screwed in the raising skellies department but against normal armies your characters should be able to raise those units to good strengths by the time they're charged. how are you going to position your units? are you going to send the varghulf and the black knights down the same flank? that'll make for a really powerful attack, two fast units that regenerate.

if your going up against an army that doesn't have many or any shooting attacks i would deploy your units only 9 or 10" away from the board edge instead of the usual 12" (assuming a 4' wide board) and sit and let your enemy come to you while you raise your units and if he thinks he's got you and mischarges then you'll be in prime position. I pulled something similar against a goblin army in a 750 pt game to great success. he didn't have any magic defences so just had the base 2 dispel dice and i had 5 power dice so by the time he got to me my originally 10 skeleton unit had swelled to 32 models and i had raised a large zombie unit as well

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
The Black Knight unit seems really risky to me against a shooting army. One decent volley just has to kill a single knight and then the entire game is riding on that 4+ regen roll when the canonballs start to fly. (A lot of lists seem to be popping up with a mounted general who has no real Look Out Sir! protection. Do you guys not constantly face empire and dwarf gunlines in other parts of the world? =) )
Remember sticking the vampire in there breaks their ethereal movement rule as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seems pretty solid. the only downside is if your going against an army with heavy magic defense your kinda screwed in the raising skellies department but against normal armies your characters should be able to raise those units to good strengths by the time they're charged. how are you going to position your units? are you going to send the varghulf and the black knights down the same flank? that'll make for a really powerful attack, two fast units that regenerate.
A heavy magic defense is the only thing i really scare on the other side most ppl let the first invocations pass because they are scared about stronger spells and bound items who may come later. The idea is indeed to get the two units on the same flank and let varghulf with his wolves support the knights or let them take the gunfire.

if your going up against an army that doesn't have many or any shooting attacks i would deploy your units only 9 or 10" away from the board edge instead of the usual 12" (assuming a 4' wide board) and sit and let your enemy come to you while you raise your units and if he thinks he's got you and mischarges then you'll be in prime position. I pulled something similar against a goblin army in a 750 pt game to great success. he didn't have any magic defences so just had the base 2 dispel dice and i had 5 power dice so by the time he got to me my originally 10 skeleton unit had swelled to 32 models and i had raised a large zombie unit as well
i prefer to have initiative and lead the dance. Not to get lead maybe against orc&goblin you can risk it but not another army. Most good players will outmaneuvre you and than pick units out and take ya one by one.

The Black Knight unit seems really risky to me against a shooting army. One decent volley just has to kill a single knight and then the entire game is riding on that 4+ regen roll when the canonballs start to fly. (A lot of lists seem to be popping up with a mounted general who has no real Look Out Sir! protection. Do you guys not constantly face empire and dwarf gunlines in other parts of the world? =) )
Remember sticking the vampire in there breaks their ethereal movement rule as well.
i know gunlines are damn hard and not funny to face but my general has a 5+ ward and regeneration save what must keep him alive for some time i find that enough for look out sir protection around here. Second if they not manage to kill my knights in turn one or two depends on who starts the game. They are in turn two in combat i can raise my knights back with magic and my general his sword, it is a gamble but isn't playing a gunline mostly ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts