Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I'm looking for a little guidance. I figure I'll give you a little background on me. I used to play about 10 years ago which i believe was 2nd edition. I played some BA and also had a Squat army. So I have recently gotten the itch to get back into the game and have picked up an Eldar army. I have read through the codex and glanced through the rules to see the changes between when I used to play, so I am familiar with the changes in an academic setting, but as I have not played a game yet I do not yet know how they feel and impact gameplay. So I started putting an army list together and realized that since there is now an Armor penetration instead of negative modifiers to save rolls, I couldn't really make a one size fits all list at least with Eldar. So I have made two lists an MEQ list and a non-MEQ list (I don't know what the lingo is for these types).

MEQ ARMY

HQ

Farseer

Witchblade
Spirit Stones
Guide
Mind War
118 pts.

Troops

Dire Avengers (10)

Exarch
Twin Shuriken Catapult
Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
Twin Linked Shuriken Cannons
Shuriken Cannon
262 pts.

Jetbike Squadron (3)

66 pts.

Heavy Support

Dark Reapers (5)

Exarch
Tempest Launcher
Fast Shot
Crack Shot
237 pts

WraithLord

2x flamers
Bright Lance
130 pts.

Elites

Howling Banshees (10)

Exarch
Mirrorswords
War Shout
Acrobatic
Wave Serpent
Shuriken Cannon
302 pts.

Fast Attack

Warp Spiders (8)

Exarch
2x Death Spinner
Surprise Assault
Withdraw
218 pts.

Vyper Squadron (1)

Shuriken Cannon/Starcannon
80 pts

Vyper Squadron (1)

Shuriken Cannon/Starcannon
80 pts

Here are my thoughts on the MEQ list. My biggest problem was what 2 troop squads to take. It doesn't seem like to me that Dire Avengers will be that great shooting at 3+ armor saves even with all the shots they get alot will be saved, but I couldn't see a guardian squad or 5 rangers being much better. Maybe save the points on the transport for the DA? But then I figure they will be completly useless if they need to walk into firing range. The 3 jetbike squad was just filler to get the army list to be legal. I also am undecided on the warp spiders. There mobility and versatility seems great, but how effective are they vs 3+ armor saves. The WL is in there to be my tank hunter. Now onto the non MEQ list.

HQ

Farseer

Witchblade
Spirit Stones
Guide
Mind War
118 pts.

Troops

Dire Avengers (10)

Exarch
Twin Shuriken Catapult
Bladestorm
Wave Serpent
Shuriken Cannon
262 pts.

Jetbike Squadron (6)

2x Shuriken Cannons
152 pts.

Jetbike Squadron (3)

1 Shuriken Cannon
76 pts.

Heavy Support

War Walkers (2)

Starcannon/Scatter Laser
Starcannon/Scatter Laser
140 pts.

WraithLord

2x flamers
Bright Lance
130 pts.

Falcon

Bright Lance
Shuriken Cannon
155 pts.

Fast Attack

Vyper Squadron (2)

Shuriken Cannon/Scatter Laser
140 pts.

Vyper Squadron (2)

140 pts.

Vyper Squadron (2)

140 pts.

So here my idea was basically volume of shots and have a couple star cannons and bright lances for any tanks and special units with better armor saves that might be around. This list is only at i think 1460 pts so there is room for a couple vehicle upgrades.

Anyway sorry for the very longwinded first post. Eldar seem to be tougher to make an army list for as their units are very specialized. Seems difficult to make an army without having an idea of what your going to encounter, but on the flip side once I know and get used to an opponent I can specialize against his strengths so that seems good. Thanks for the time anyone takes to help an old player getting back into the game its much appreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, for starters, don't post the individual point values for wargear and stuff. It's copywrited. You can post the total number of points the unit costs, but not the individual upgrades (something about it rendering the codex useless or something).

Anyway, Dire avengers to decently well against marines, especially with bladestorm, the idea being force your opponent to make enough saves and he might actually fail a couple. Pathfinders also make good marine killers, but only if you roll a lot of 5s and 6s and don't mind spending a fair chunk of points on them. Dark reapers are good, though I generally use missile launcher over tempest, and since you can't use fast shot and crack shot in the same turn, I'd drop crack shot.

Warp Spiders work against marines on the same principle as the DAs. Its a lot of shots (at S6 to boot) hitting on 3s wounding on 2s. Vypers do much better now with 2 shuricannons, starcannons are really only effective on falcons and warwalkers. I'd get rid of warshout on your banshees, and find some way to give all your transports spirit stones.

It looks like your non-MEQ list could still be effective against MEQs just from sheer volume of shots, just keep in mind some of the points from above.

Hope that helps!

·
4,967 Posts
Vipers should have 2x shuriken cannon each. Nice and cheap and good against the flank armour of most vehicles.

Serpents should both have spirit stones. The banshee transport also needs vectored engines as it has a more expensive combat orientated set of passengers. the other can do without.

Warp spiders can ditch suprise assault. Some swear by it but with their huge manouverability you can get anywhere on the battlefield you desire by the end of the turn 2 movement phase. This way you don't risk scatter or being wiped out by a single plasma cannon on arrival. Deepstrikers might also not arrive until turns 3-4.

Banshee exarch needs the executioner. You have and abundance of S3 power weapon attacks anyway so mirror swords just give more of the same.

Wraithlord becomes much better with an additional EML.

Falcons shouldn't take bright lances. They already have a S7+ weapon so can't move & fire the pulse laser and BL in the same turn and keep the "all hits glancing" speed. A stationary falcon usually dies. Get a starcannon or scatter laser.

Make the weapons on each war walker into 2 scatter lasers on one and 2 starcannon on the other. When the first one dies you choose based on if you need number of shots or good AP at the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.