Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the local games store has been running 1000 point lists as standard for their tournament scene for the past several months and there appears to be another one coming up in the near future. My first attempt at a 1000 point list has my second troop choice as an armored fist squad. I wasn't exactly impressed with the use I got out of my Chimera and the AF squad as a whole didn't perform the function that I wanted it do (run up and capture objectives/ kill light vehicles) mostly because it died to fast. So I'm curious to see what other people use at 1000 points. Double platoons? Platoon/Conscripts? Platoon/Armored Fist? Double Grenadiers?

I'm leaning away from the grenadiers since I lack the models for them and don't want to confuse people with "Ok, this squad is in Carapace and these identical looking models are in flak jackets," nor do I want to put points into giving my officer squads and heavy weapon teams Carapace to make them uniform. (Although on second thought, that could be fun.) So I leave it to the masses. What do you normally do with that second Troop Slot?

P.S Another FOC restriction is only 1 each of HQ, Elite, FA, and HS choice. Nothing really to do with troops, but still might come into play with the rest of the list.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
well, depends on your play style; double grenadier in chimeras if you want to advance, double platoon if you want static, i don't use conscripts so i'm not sure how well they'd do for aside from putting numbers on the field to bog down enemy advancement on a flank.
otherwise (though you said you don't have the models for it), the platoon/grenadier idea seems suited for a balanced role.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i use double platoons only cos it was the cheapest option for me modelling wise...sometimes i think it would be beneficial to use grenadiers in a transport or even just an armoured fist to get the choice slot out of the way so i can fill the other slots with useful stuff.. to be perfectly honest however, i dont think transports under the current rules are mobile enough, moving 12'' isnt really good enough for me considering a decent armoured fist is going to have to sacrifice about 2 turns of shooting just to get the transport to a reasonable distance to dismount..and then you dont even get to fire heavy weapons or move away. hence i havent been bothered to grab a chimera and to make up the mobility gap i sometimes use the drop troops doctrine... at least that way if they miss 2 turns of fire they arent on the board to get damaged...

·
Registered
21 Posts
For 1K troops points I use double Inf. Platoon and Conscripts.. that gives what every IG commander wants.. lots of soldiers..
Just make sure to put the Conscripts within 12" of your HQ Command squad so they get his LD and so they can make use of the banner to re-roll morale tests..

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I almost always use a platoon and a maxed out conscript platoon with accompanying commisar. Its a nasty little tool to have in a 1k game.
This is a great strategy, so much infrantry a balanced list has a hard time dealing with it.

The other appoach ( for a treadhead like me ) is max out armor.

HQ: Suicide plasma squad
Lascannon Sentinal Squad - two lascannon Sentinals

Troops: 2 x Grenadier Squad of 10 in Chimera to Plasma, Stubbers, EA and Smoke on Chimeras.

Hellhound with EA, Smk, Stubber.

Demolisher - Tripple HBs, EA, Smoke.

Should be just under a 1000pts.

Concentrate on enemy armor threats first and then spend the rest of the game grinding the enemy. It is a different list, but one I've learned to be successful with.

Cheers, DH

·
Registered
175 Posts
Diggums:

What's your overall strategy using this type of list?

I played a Tau opponent this weekend using a similar list - I used a traditional Troop, 2 squads, CS, 2 Grenadiers in Chimarae, and VERY weak HQ with JO/honorifica.

He whooped my butt though. (not sure it was a legal list, but hey...it was fun)

I was hoping to blitz with my grenadiers, dismount and assault, but my Chimerae were obliterated before that dream was realized.

My static line was chewed up by template fire and my LC Sentinels I had flanking were obliterated before they even had any chance to rally and fire back.

(I'm still not sure this player had a legal list. I always find that when I lose this badly it's for 2 reasons:
1. I brought the wrong list to the fight or 2. my opponent is using a trumped up list.)

Peace

·
durus
2,578 Posts
The way I play it is reactive. I don't move forward my Grenadiers until the end or in a wide flanking maneouver. The mostly sit in the back letting the 'more dangerous' Demolishers and Hellhounds take the fire.

I always have a Demolisher for a fire magnet, as without it (hopefully 2 of them) your Chimeras are toast.

I leave my Grendadier squads in the Chimeras and I don't really move them out fast. I let fly with the 9 shots (I always take a Stubber). This can effective enough even against marines in cover. I let the Demolishers and Hellhouds do most of the initial work etc.

I wait for an enemy unit to break through and then I will move a Chimera (sometimes 2 as like to work them in pairs), unload the Glory boys and can usually wipe out and enemy unit with the combination of two squads and one template.

I find that usually my Sentinals are left alone for the first couple of turns and I leave them lumbering at the back anyway. Sometimes a smart enemy will fire on these quickly and the will fall the same, but that is why I like Demolisher as they can be used in anti-tank in a pinch.

The real secret of this list is that it is all in Vehicles. I don't have a unit on the board, so enemy anti-troop fire is generally wasted by AV12+ being all they can see. Tau, Shooty Marines and Necrons can give it problems though, especailly if they know whats coming.

I did win my last (24 player) Tournement at 1750pts though. http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/imperial-guard-army-lists/111849-1750-tourney-grenadier.html

Cheers, DH

·
Registered
610 Posts
Perhaps someone can help me as well.

My local store is starting a campaign this Thursday at 500pts run along the lines of capturing so many tiles on a map.

500pts seems to be a bad number for IG. Do I still have to take a Command HQ and an Infantry Platoon HQ? I'm guessing this isn't combat patrol but both HQ's rack up nearly 300ts alone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well 500 points is a little narrow for the Guard to use in the normal kind of way. Check to see if they are using a standard Force Organization Chart or a modified one. Already you are probably spending way too many points on your officer squads. The smaller the game the more bare-bones your officers need to be. Mine never get more than a powersword and bolt pistol and rarely are they gifted even with those two mundane items. Having an HQ squad, Platoon, and Conscripts is gonna be roughly 300 points, and thats probably the cheapest way to get your compulsery choices out of the way. Now add Heavy and Special weapons to your platoon and HQ, perhaps a few flamers for your conscripts, a banner, and some doctrains here or there (Iron Discipline is usually a must). You are left with something around 100 points depending on how you load out your platoons and that means you can either add a Heavy Bolter Support squad or maybe an Independant Commisar for your conscripts.

Whatever you end up doing, more men is gonna serve you better than bells and whistles on your officers. Hope that helps.

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
I wasn't exactly impressed with the use I got out of my Chimera and the AF squad as a whole didn't perform the function that I wanted it do (run up and capture objectives/ kill light vehicles) mostly because it died to fast.
That's not surprising, considering it's not built very well for that role in mind.

Best use of an AF squad, is for the infantry to set up alongside their platoon buddies and plug away while the Chimera roves around as mobile fire support, or shields your more important tanks. Then in the last turn, then perhaps it pick up its squad can go after an objective, but that's not its primary role.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, I've used that method in the past as well. The problem is, in the limited format of 1 FA and 1 HS choice there aren't too many tanks and a broadside team or squadron of landspeeders just murders all of my tanks with relative ease. Nothing really soaks up the fire that normally comes with an IG list.

So far its looking like I am going to try a double platoon list. I'll probably post it when I get it finished.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could always use Grenadiers to fill up compulsory choices, although I'm not sure their staying power would be as great as a Platoon+Conscripts, especially without Chimeras or Infiltrate. Maybe a Platoon and some Grenadiers with a Chimera?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.