Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the most recent version of 40K jetbikes are one type of troop whilst vehicles are something else which has a chapter all to itself.
The Kustom megablaster has the gets hot rule but if it is attached to a vehicle it doesn't suffer from the negative effects.
A Deffkopta can be fitted with a megablaster, but is it a 'vehicle' or not (i.e. a jetbike), does it get hot when fired?

On a related matter has anyone every gone the full 'apache dawn' 3x5 deffkopta with bombz route? I know one of my opponents is building a huge swarm of tyranids & was wondering if carpet bombing them as the boyz run in was going to be worth while. Can a deffkopta with a bomb really be the equivalent of 8 boys with sluggas & hand weapons?

Finally what weapon is best? To my mind for the points its got to be twin linked bigshootas but it appears each model in a squad can be differently equipped so its probably woth a mix to make the unit more versatile but then maybe 1 should field a squad with each weapon option and see how it goes?

·
Registered
68 Posts
they are cool but suffer from low LD. As such, they will easily flee.
One way to keep the damage acceptable is to keep the team small with two per squadron. I tend to stick to twin linked rockets as they do a nice job at bringing hell to some armor, then fly away to find another target before being shot at.

·
Registered
835 Posts
3 Quick deffkopta questions: Are jetbikes / deffkoptas vehicles?

In the most recent version of 40K jetbikes are one type of troop whilst vehicles are something else which has a chapter all to itself.
The Kustom megablaster has the gets hot rule but if it is attached to a vehicle it doesn't suffer from the negative effects.
A Deffkopta can be fitted with a megablaster, but is it a 'vehicle' or not (i.e. a jetbike), does it get hot when fired?

On a related matter has anyone every gone the full 'apache dawn' 3x5 deffkopta with bombz route? I know one of my opponents is building a huge swarm of tyranids & was wondering if carpet bombing them as the boyz run in was going to be worth while. Can a deffkopta with a bomb really be the equivalent of 8 boys with sluggas & hand weapons?

Finally what weapon is best? To my mind for the points its got to be twin linked bigshootas but it appears each model in a squad can be differently equipped so its probably woth a mix to make the unit more versatile but then maybe 1 should field a squad with each weapon option and see how it goes?
1. I believe they still suffer from "gets hot" rule, though the mega-blaster is not a very popular choice of weapon due to its cost.
2. Big Bombs are generally considered way too expensive for what you get. That being said, tyranids may be one of the few ememies they would do well against (crush their hordes with them). Still, most players consider them weak and overpriced.
3. Most people go with big shootas or rokkits. I like rokkits better because they can take down heavier armor, which we orks have trouble with, or they can beat up marine equivalents. Big Shootas are better against weak (or rear) armor and low armor troops. I would NOT mix the weapons- this cuts down on their specialization and makes them less effective. Pick one and go with it.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Vehicles have Armour Values (AV for short). Infantry have Wounds and armour saves. If it doesn't have an AV, it's not a vehicle, and vice versa; thus, the Deffkoptas and other jetbike units such as Guardian or Reaver Jetbikes are infantry, not vehicles. Jetbikes have their own special section in the rulebook just as vehicles do, keep an eye out for that to read up on specific jetbike-specific special rules.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Registered
173 Posts
is it just one twin linked rokkit launcha or two?

because the model has 4 rockets but my brother insists that it is only 1 because in the codex is says exchange big shoota for twin linked rocket launcha not shootas or launchas

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
is it just one twin linked rokkit launcha or two?

because the model has 4 rockets but my brother insists that it is only 1 because in the codex is says exchange big shoota for twin linked rocket launcha not shootas or launchas
This model appears to only have a single big shoota, so I would think it's safe to assume that you only get a single twin linked rokkit launcha. Where are you seeing the model with four rokkits?

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
Deffkoptas` rokkit is a single TL rokkit, basicaly one shot that can be rerolled.

Bikes, jetbikes are not vehicles therefore they can go to ground.
The koptaz weakness is their Ld, so never use less then 5 (so You can afford to loose one without a morale check). Basically You have more 50% to flee... :( So, the gets hot is not very good for You! Try the big shootaz againts hordes. As no other model available I think the wysiwig can not be required! Just don`t mix the weapons in the squad/army and You won`t have problem.

Bombs and buzzsaws are usually not recommended by experienced players (that`s not me).

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Deffkoptas are useful because they can outflank, and deal with armor much better than most other Ork units. Also, unlike warbuggies, they can also assault, making them good cavalry units, to turn the tide of a battle in their favor.

I never give them upgrades, and usually field them 5 strong (so they're a little more difficult to panic) with either big shootas or rokkits. Both are viable and effective in the right list.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am really new to orks, but I use Koptas with Rokkits in every list I have made so far as far as 1000-3000. For your first two questions, they were already answered so no need for my two cents. Anyways I always take the TL Rokkits since it provides valuable assitance to my horde lists. I have plenty of Big Shootas in my mobz to deal with actual infantry. I have plenty of Anti-Infantry. What I really need help in is my anti-armour role and that is where my Koptas come in handy. Well sorry thats all I could suggest as help. Hope I helped a little.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Coptas with TL rokkits in the rear arc will ruin the day of a lot of armor (especially the artillery beasties that your opponent put clear across the board, only to have your outflanking choppers give him a rude surprise...) Of course, if you only have one or two of them, quite often you'll go to attack and do, er, diddly-squat, miss with every shot, etc etc...

One other thing that they can do is engage a heavy weapon squad in melee. Just keep in mind that, as far as orks go, coptas are only marginally better than grots in hand-to-hand. They'll do for taking out artillery crew, or a few Tau, but against MEQ you're unlikely to do a whole lot... and copters have (a) crummy leadership, and (b) crummy initiative, so if you lose a round of close combat, you'll likely lose the squad. Don't death-charge a squad that's likely to wipe out your copters in one turn - if you lose the combat during your turn, the enemy unit won't be tied up in his turn.

Honestly, their utility is a little limited. A wise enemy player will maneuver to keep his rear arcs safe (backing up to the map edge or a wall, stuff like that). Or they might not have much in the first place that you can pop with rokkits (Land Raiders, Monoliths, whatever). On the other hand, if your opponent is maneuvering to protect himself against copters, he's not maneuvering to protect himself against the horde...

Ironically, sometimes your best bet is "fire magnet". A unit of copters that's just turbo-boosted is pretty hard to kill, after all, with a 3+ cover save, T4(5), and two wounds. If you charge threateningly with the copters, especially in a situation where next turn you can go back-arc-hunting, you're going to draw a lot of fire at these tough units... and away from your mobs of boyz or thin-skinned trukks. They're juuuust nasty enough that your opponent has to honor the threat, and if you get lucky those cover saves might let the copters resist a lot of heavy-weapons fire.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
I disagree. At best you'll wipe out 1 squad. After that you'll lose the burna's and the looted wagon, and I think (if I'm not mistaken) that's more points then the avarage nid unit you're going to kill. And as far as the current dex goes, hell the looted wagon won't even arrive. And then you'll be flaming a T7, W5 2+ save carni...

But back on topic. I'm not an ork player, on of my regular opponents is. He doesn't use the deffkopta's a lot but when he did I found compelled to take them down and they where just close enough to my squishy armour bits. And it's not always possible to make sure a rear is hidden from outflanking units. Any random upgrade suck, making them more expensive and as they'll die anyways you might as well keep them cheap. More gear doesn't mean more usefulness. Just says less points in other units, and easy dead points for your opponent (in this case me:p).

Reactions: tinytim84

·
Registered
614 Posts
I find that Deffkoptas are good for factoring in a lot of redundancy in an Ork list, because they can perform a wide variety of different jobs depending on what you need at the time. Because of the option to arm them all differently this also means that you don't have to tailor them for a specific purpose before the game, just plug an even amount of rokkit launchas and big shootas in there (kustom mega-blastas are -not- recommended) and away you go. They can harry the enemy infantry with burst fire or pie plates, threaten the tanks at the back, eliminate heavy support squads, assassinate independent characters (although god knows why these are wandering around by themselves), contest an objective in the dying stages of a game (I myself have done this on many occasions, utilizing their high speed and ability to ignore terrain) the list goes on. I prefer Deffkoptas to bikers most of the time, the extra ten points goes a long way in making them more strategically viable across the board, and the only downside is a leadership of 7.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Nids are more afraid of skorchas, at least in the previous codex (not sure about the brand new one, as I haven't read it yet). Nothing's more fun than having them spend a fortune on giving their genestealers a better armor save, only to ignore it with your skorchas.

I like small groups of 'tactical' burnas that are cheap and versatile. 6 burnas w/3 big shootas in a looted wagon w/big shoota is a nice little unit that can fire 12 big shoota shots a turn, and/or drop 3 burna templates on an enemy unit. Or, if you prefer, you can assault and get 9 power weapon attacks on the charge. Yeah, it's not that durable, but without a bosspole they're never that durable, so you might as well keep them cheap.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with Chatawax. Deffkoptas, especially when they outflank, are great 'cavalry' units. They charge in at great speed, and then do whatever you need them to do. You can go after armor, go after MEQ, shoot infantry, or help tip an assault in your favor. They're a very handy unit, especially in slower horde armies, where you can use the speed/outflanking.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Yeah, skorchas have been annoying.

Cheap burna's would be annoying, unlike big expensive ones they can be worth their points...

On topic: I'm usually quite happy when my ork opponent doesn field them. Makes it easier for me, and doesn't give me any annoying surprises. Not the word of an ork player but one of your opponents, might be an additional opinion:p

·
Registered
183 Posts
@Chatawax: How do you use pie plates with the TL Rokkit Launcha? Only The Ork Kannons can fire Frag rounds. Unless your talking about the bombs.

The only type of Koptas I field are the TL Rokkits They work amazing for me I keep them away from anything that can assault them. I use them to pop armour or at least annoy enemy armour. I also use them against Elite squads, nothing better than a barrage of rokkits blasting into your opponents elites softening them up for your 20+ boyz getting ready to charge. The ability to move at full speed and still fire a heavy weapon is one thing an ork army really needs. We don't have alot of weapons to deal with enemy armour, and even what we do have our BS is completely laughable. In my own opinion it is a waist to throw a whole mob at a single vehicle just for the PK hits. Our guns are just to random to really invest them as our primary armour shots. Re-rolling doubles our chances of scoring hits, and if you field at least a four kopta squad odds are good that you will pop enemy armour (besides the big boy tanks). Depending on points I usually field a five man squad or two three man squads. Im sure my lists are no where near tourny able, but they can hold their own. Well thanks for reading hope everyone has a good day. Sorry side note from the other side. I also play Marines and I hate have koptas popping rhinos/razorbacks, and making my marines footslog. Regardless of how tuff my marines are once my armour is popped if there is a full 30 shoota boyz near me thats alot of saves to make. Im not one of the math guys, but I know my rolling isnt that great! Ok now im done ha-ha have a great day everyone.

·
Registered
614 Posts
@Brother Captain Tom: Aye, I was talking about the big bomms. I think if TL rokkit launchas started lobbing around large blast markers there'd be a lot of anger from all the other players, particularly 'Nids and Guard. How would TL blast weapons work anyway? Re-roll the scatter dice I suppose. Anyway, big bomms in my experience are only really viable if you know that A. Your opponent will be taking a lot of large, T3 or lower units, and B. These units will be fairly densely packed or lined up. That way, if the Bomm scatters (and it scatters the full 2d6 as far as I am aware, you don't subtract the BS) it's got a much high chance of hitting something and doing some damage. Still, some here will argue that the 15 points could be spent elsewhere, I just like the look on my opponent's face when I start putting blast templates over his units after my Deffkoptas move over them. They can even release the bomms if they turbo-boost! That flexibility is worth it, IMO.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
15 points for a one shot s4 large blast that always scatters? Not worth it, in my opinion. It's far too likely to completely scatter off the target and do nothing. It's far too overpriced. It might be worth it if it were 5 points, like a combi-scorcha, or could be used an unlimited number of times, but as it is, I don't believe it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.