Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

im looking at getting back into competitive warhammer i played alot of 6th and 7th edition experience and rode this list or a similar list to alot of wins in Sydney NSW (THIS IS A FULLY FORREST SPIRIT ARMY WITH A VERY DETAILED BACK STORY). but have now come back with no 8th edition with no experience. so give me some feed back :)

Lords/heros:

Treeman ancient - 325

spellsinger - 90

- Lv 2 35
- Kindred 20
- stead 12
- scroll 25

spellsinger - 90

- Lv 2 35
- Kindred 20
- stead 12
- scroll 25
​ 187

Branchwraith - 65

- Lv 1 50
- cluster 25
of radiance

= 840

Core

13x dryads - 156
10x dryads - 120
10x dryads - 120
10x dryads - 120
10x dryads - 120

= 636

special

6x tree kin - 390

6x tree kin - 390

4x tree kin - 260

6x wild riders - 156

- champ 18
- standard 18

= 1232

Rare

treeman - 285

total = 2993

·
877 Posts
Advice is in red.

Treeman ancient - 325
Fine, if you want the cluster put it here, and maybe annoyance.

spellsinger - 90
- Lv 2 35
- Kindred 20
- stead 12
- scroll 25
spellsinger - 90
- Lv 2 35
- Kindred 20
- stead 12
- scroll 25
Spellsingers are kind of a waste as the WE lore sucks, drop both singers for a weaver with Life/Beasts. I like talisman of preservation + WoWE on a Unicorn for forest spirit build. Though that would be to expensive if you keep the ancient.

Branchwraith - 65
- Lv 1 50
- cluster 25
of radiance
Again not really needed,as with your spellsingers.

13x dryads - 156
10x dryads - 120
10x dryads - 120
10x dryads - 120
10x dryads - 120
636 is not enough for 3k army, need 750. Do 8 units of 8 dryads, as you never want more than 8 in a unit. Run them wide with another unit in toe, either treekin or more dyrads.

6x tree kin - 390
6x tree kin - 390
4x tree kin - 260
Might just do 3 units of 4, with lore of life + dryad screens they should hold up well.

6x wild riders - 156
- champ 18
- standard 18
Them at least 10 in number, 12 would be best, drop the champ.

treeman - 285
I would take a second one.
Not sure what that will total but extra points to go to more treekin, and maybe wild rider character with dawn spear to help protect the wild riders from return attacks. With woodelves you dont want to waste points on useless characters (singers, most noble/highborne builds, and branchwraiths) and upgrades (champs) as they are expensive to begin with and these guys are just more points down the drain.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why are Dryads best in units of 8? Why not larger?

·
877 Posts
Since they are not ranked, they get no bonus from having large units (can't be steadfast, break steadfast or get plus for combat resolution). As such you want them small just to screen and inflict combat damage. Really they would be best in units of 6 but sadly they can't be taken in units that small. As such having a bigger unit generally will just mean more are left to get run down after losing combat.

The tactic is to deploy them like so; (each letter is a dryad, and each letter type is a different unit)

A A A A A A A A
S S S S S S S S
D D D D D D D D

(or you can do one unit of dryads and then treekin like so)

D D D D D D D D
_T_T_T_T_

This way your opponent will hit the front unit, your dryads will get to inflict some damage since they most likely will swing first at I6. Then the dryads will die and the enemy will run into the second unit or stay where they kill the first. Either way you can hit them again but most likely get a side unit in the flank as they will have extended themselves with the charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feed back this is all helping.

but can i ask why people keep saying that the wood elf magic lore is shit now. what has happened to tree singing. link me faq?

·
877 Posts
Nothing happened to Tree singing spell it is just that moving forest around doesn't offer the tactical advantage it once did. Lore of life has a regen spell plus lots of other nice spells. In general the core lore choices are just better as they have a lore attribute, an additional spell choice, and have just been made to be more playable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
what has happened to tree singing. link me faq?
Tree Singing has become less effective because of the three following rule changes:
1) Trees no longer block line of sight.
2) A unit's march will be blocked only if that unit fails a leadership check. With a BSB, your opponent has two tries at passing the leadership check.
3) Wood Elf players now deploy their forest inside their deployment area instead of their half of the table.

It's close to the point that our forest is nearly useless.

Here is the link for the faq's. Shrine of Knowledge - FAQ's and Errata: Page 2 | Errata and FAQ Articles | Gaming and Collecting Articles | Games Workshop

Sidewinder

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW... honestly thats RETARD. what u guys think of this rule change?

in my opinion if you are going to make trees/forrests this ruling why have terain in the game at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since they are not ranked, they get no bonus from having large units (can't be steadfast, break steadfast or get plus for combat resolution). As such you want them small just to screen and inflict combat damage. Really they would be best in units of 6 but sadly they can't be taken in units that small. As such having a bigger unit generally will just mean more are left to get run down after losing combat.

The tactic is to deploy them like so; (each letter is a dryad, and each letter type is a different unit)

A A A A A A A A
S S S S S S S S
D D D D D D D D

(or you can do one unit of dryads and then treekin like so)

D D D D D D D D
_T_T_T_T_

This way your opponent will hit the front unit, your dryads will get to inflict some damage since they most likely will swing first at I6. Then the dryads will die and the enemy will run into the second unit or stay where they kill the first. Either way you can hit them again but most likely get a side unit in the flank as they will have extended themselves with the charge.

I was wandering why you wouldn't make the units bigger. I'm starting to get into WE and used to play orcs and goblins so this if new to me. But wouldn't bigger units give you the advantage of support attacks? (in a horde even a third rank) or do they get some kind of bonus in first round of combat that would make sense to me since it seems you what every round a new charge into you...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
That's right. Tree Kin are a top-5 Monstrous Infantry choice in the game (arguably #1) because of how beefy and tough they are. I personally prefer units of 8, though - 24 S5 attacks puts a serious dent in things, and not many things get through 24 T5 Wounds with a 4+ save and (frequently) a 5+ Ward behind it. I'd say that if your battleline is composed of a Treeman Ancient in the middle, a unit of 8 Tree Kin on either side, and a Treeman on each corner, you're in a really good place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its funny you say that. i have been doing some research on the army im ultimately going to do and i think 2x 8 tree kin + tree man ancent + tree man + 7x 8 dryads is actually a really good list that i think can work for some tournament wins. :) what u think ladys ?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Depends on the tourney. I wouldn't be expecting any wins against the harder lists ('tis the perils of being themed with a low-tier army), but you could surprise a couple of people. I strongly suggest you take the upgrade for a Spellweaver over 2 Spellsingers, though - bringing Beasts or Life to bear with this sort of list would be a godsend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
of course I should have known that

ps. I made a list of my own would you mind looking at it and tell me what you think:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/wood-elf-army-lists/241698-building-first-we-2000-pt-army-list.html

Sorry, I don't know why I wrote that Skirmishers cannot have support attacks. That is wrong. It is that they do not receive rank bonuses for combat and they do not cause disruption when attacking a unit in the flank or rear. So, any models beyond the second rank are a waste of points.

Sidewinder

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry, I don't know why I wrote that Skirmishers cannot have support attacks. That is wrong. It is that they do not receive rank bonuses for combat and they do not cause disruption when attacking a unit in the flank or rear. So, any models beyond the second rank are a waste of points.

Sidewinder
ow really it sounded logical when you said it. but why doesn't anyone wants to take second ranks instead of multiple units? they only add 1 extra attack but makes it pretty strong wright, 24 str 4 attack? or is that to much a wast of points the second line?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Players do use a second rank of skirmishers depending on the model and depending on minimum unit size of the skirmishers. Dryads and skink skirmishers will probably be in two ranks. WE scouts, waywatchers, the Skaven scouts and others that have a small minimum unit size will probably have just one rank.

It's not a waste of points to have a second rank of Dryads. It's better to have them there rather than dangling off the sides of the front rank and not able to get any attacks on the opposing models. There are players that use more than two ranks of dryads, but that is something I don't do. I believe the third rank adds nothing to the combat. The extra ranks after the second one doesn't provide support attacks nor do they add to combat resolution. If the unit breaks and gets run down, then I have given up additional victory points to my opponent.

Sidewinder

1 - 18 of 18 Posts