Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a rematch game with my Dark Angel friend so we figured we'd throw down 3000 points:

HQ
Hive Tyrant w/ES, TS, 2*TL Devourers, Warp Field, Winged = 196
Hive Tyrant w/ES, EC, TS, VC, BS, 2 Guard = 272

Troops
11 Genestealers w/Scuttle = 209

Elites
Carnifex w/ES, 2*TL Devourers 113

Fast Attack
3 Warriros w/ES, TS, TL Devourer, Winged 149
3 Warriros w/ES, TS, TL Devourer, Winged 149
1 Frag Spore Mine = 8

Heavy Support
Carnifex w/VC, BS, ES, EC, RC, BE = 219
Carnifex w/VC, BS, ES, EC, RC, BE = 219
3 Zoanthropes w/Synapse, Warp Blast 195

Total = 3000

I realize it may be a little wonky in places. 2 Things I'm wondering about are my choice in Genestealers and whether I should take the warriors as one whole squad. Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
personally I do not like those warriors - only 3 to a brood in 3000 points means that they will be dead fast - they might get one round of shooting off before they are targeted - and once targeted they will go down fast. although granted they are giving you a forward synapse support for the stealers (not essential but nice). Personally I would swap them out for 2 broods of rending and scything raveners - you can get more in for the same points - they move just as quick - and they are better in close combat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry Overmind, I gotta disagree. The warriors are the perfect synapse support with the fexes and the tyrants running around. It'd take a very good and disciplined and lucky player to shoot down all of them quick enough to affect the gaunts or fexes regarding synapse, while still wounding the big guys enough so that they don't decimate the Tau lines when they assault. Plus you have to assume that the Tyranid guns will be focused on Tau tank detail, so hopefully a lot of shots will be lost as a result of that.

I think the wings aren't really necessary on the warriors, although it does help them keep up with the faster gaunts and since you need the warriors to be fast attack, it does the trick.

And I would actually want to swap out the Genestealers for Raveners, because although they're fragile, so are the Genestealers, and Genestealers tend to be put in large groups for that reason, which is a pretty large point drain. And one last thing, take a Lictor. You'd be really surprised what 80 distraction points can sometimes buy you (lots of times the difference between a HT or Carnifex getting into CC or not), and if your opponent underestimates it, it can wreak havoc in CC, especially against Tau.

·
Registered
301 Posts
winged warriors are good synapse support for gaunts - esp hormagaunts - but there are non in this list, not a single gaunt. Also, winged warriors are not going to be supporting the fex with synapse - that is the zoanthropes and walking tyrants job - the winged warriors will be cutting ahead of the army - if they are not then they are not using their speed advantage and thus should be dropped to having leaping legs.
to the OP - I am torn with the idea of having the warriors in either one large group or 2 smaller groups -- either way they just feel to me to be a weak point in this army - since warriors are really a forward synapse support unit. You coult take off the TL devourers - and replace them with one devourer and a set of rending claws - that way they could charge forward into close combat and get some rending hits in - but the this part of me says that raveners would do this job much better than the warriors

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was actually pretty rough. The game ended up being Omega seek and destroy so I had my stealers and he had Ezekiel. Effectively I had a free turn to get to his deployment zone. His second turn, of course, half of his army shows up and makes an effective beach head for the other half of his army which arrives turn 2. They mow away the stealers and it takes forever for my beasties to walk their way up. The flyrant and the flying warriors don't make it on until turn 4 so their speed is kind of lost. I think I'm going to try the list again so I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Absolutely, positively drop the Synapse from the Zoanthropes! Why do you need it?

NidZilla armies aren't effected by Synapse, especially since all your Fex's are Shooty.

You want to see your opponent cry, drop Synapse and add Scream.

If you REALLY want to see your opponent cry, try this: (I've been itching to try this out for a while now)

Headquarters
Tyrant w/ 2*TL Devourers, ES, TS, Wings & Scream - 171 pts
Tyrant w/ TS, ES, VC, Talons, Guard*3 & Scream - 290 (yes, it's expensive, but it isn't easy to kill)

Elites (Yes, I know it's six, use two Force Org charts)
Daka Fex w/ 2*TL Devourers, ES - 113

Troops
Genestealers X 6 w/ Carapace - 120

Heavy Support
Carnifex w/ RC, BE, ES, VC, BS - 208
Zoanthropes X 3, Scream, Warp Blast - 195

That leaves you with 322 points to do whatever you want with. You can fit in another fex or two (Heavy Dakas?) or some Warriors. Not much can stand up to this kind of army with 11 Monstrous Creatures. It also lowers your enemies Leadership by up to five making things very nasty in close combat (considering each MC counts as ten critters in CC). You could fairly easily force some units to repeatedly run away or get wiped out.

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
That leaves you with 322 points to do whatever you want with.
Wouldn't he have to use those points on another HQ and two more Troops choices as those would be compulsory for two FOCs? I thought you had to completely fill a FOC before starting another.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Blood Axe
526 Posts
Well in order to take a 2nd force org chart you have to completely fill the first chart. Then, you have to start with an HQ and 2 troops before adding more elites and HS. I'm sure with some tweaking though you'd be able to do that (3x1 raveners for the fast attack, then pick up some warriors for HQ and 2x8 spinegaunts for troops). Sure would be a mean list, not really sure what Marines can muster at 3000 though against it so not going to theoryhammer at all there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure about having to COMPLETELY filling a force org before starting a new one. I think it's possible to use the minimum in both force orgs. I don't have the book with me and I've never done dual force orgs so it's not something I'm very familiar with but I believe you can do dual force orgs with any number of points above 2001.

·
1,492 Posts
Not sure about having to COMPLETELY filling a force org before starting a new one. I think it's possible to use the minimum in both force orgs. I don't have the book with me and I've never done dual force orgs so it's not something I'm very familiar with but I believe you can do dual force orgs with any number of points above 2001.
You have to have a choice for each slot in the first FOC before starting a new one. Without any FA choices in your suggested list and needing to take on another compulsory HQ and Troops (2x), it will be difficult to get those extra Elite Fexes with the spare points.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I realize this thread is rather old, but just as a FYI when using the Apocalypse rules FOCs are ignored, as are restrictions on the number of units allowed in a given army (i.e. the 0-1; 0-2; etc.). This can be found on page page 18 of the Apocalypse book (3rd sentence of the first paragraph under "1) Choosing a Army").

·
1,492 Posts
I realize this thread is rather old, but just as a FYI when using the Apocalypse rules FOCs are ignored, as are restrictions on the number of units allowed in a given army (i.e. the 0-1; 0-2; etc.). This can be found on page page 18 of the Apocalypse book (3rd sentence of the first paragraph under "1) Choosing a Army").
I didn't see any indication that Apoc was being used. It's a 3000pt list, but that doesn't require Apoc rules. Perhaps it is hidden in a post (I'm too lazy to be thorough) in which case you are correct, FOC means nothing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.