Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing for my first battle of 3000 points against Ogres next weekend. I'm working on my list now, but was curious of anything i should prepare for?

I seem to remember there being a lord that can't be played until about 3k...but I might be mistaken.

Thoughts? General practices vs. Ogres? I've only faced them once before.:?

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
magic defense is good, because most Ogre armies have tons of butchers. I would get some glade riders to bait and flee and flank. Glade guard to shoot them up. Wild Riders, Treeman, Treekin, all work well vs. Ogres. You can have 2 lord choices at 3k.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
At 3000 he can take a Slaughtermaster, a lord level wizard, with what amounts to lvl 4 in magic. But he can only use three dice to cast a spell max.

The wand of wych elm will help a lot. It would even allow you roll one die against his one die. All ogre magic goes off on a 3+ the first time it is successfully cast in a round. If another butcher wants to cast the same spell, it needs a 6+ to go off. Mind you, it has to be a successful casting for that to happen.

A lot of OK players roll one die for a spell, which usually forces you to roll two dice to insure dispelling it. The wand of wych elm might help you with that, letting you roll one die against his.

Deploy back a little with your archers. Ogres cross the board fast. They'll be on you in two turns if you don't deploy back. I usually do 7 or 8 inches or so.

As long as you control movement, the game is yours. They're fast, but not agile. Get on his flanks and rear and you'll shred him.

If you take a treeman watch out for tyrants as they have a magic weapon that can really, really hurt you (think Str 8 hits which, being magical, you get no ward save against). Tyrants can also take a bigname to do extra wounds to large targets. Hunters also can do extra wounds to large targets, but it's unlikely as you have to fail a str test.

Ironguts are str 6.

No ogre has better than heavy armor. Even a tyrant or bruiser can only get heavy armor and a magic gut plate for a 4+ save.

Marchblock him with flyers early and shoot him up.

Leadbelchers can hurt but they roll to hit using BS so skirmishers do okay against them. I love the HoDA against Leadbelchers, wipe them out in one turn.

Force panic tests. Ogres have crap for leadership.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm struggling most over what to take as my 2nd lord to accompany Orion. There's also a Noble in there on a Great Eagle with HoDA and HotH.

I'm considering taking a Highborn with the Spirit Sword, if so...i'm not sure what else to give him. Possibly AoN and an Enchanted Shield? I think the Spirit Sword could be lethal against ogres and would like to find out.:D

I'm also considering an Alter Highborn with the Bow of Loren. This will give me 5 shots per round, but my biggest question is would there be any benefit from taking Starfire Arrows as well? If I remember right, there's usually only 4 or so Ogres in a unit, so if I kill one...they're going to take a panic test anyway right?

What about a Spellweaver lvl4 w/ the Wand and maybe the Moonstone of Hidden Ways?

Any other good Lord setups vs. Ogres?

·
A Freaking Ninja!
271 Posts
AK with great weapon + helm of the hunt (18" charge, 6atks on charge @ str 6) AoN (just incase of challenge)

Lord on Dragon

Lord with sword of might (or Great Weap) is a good setup to

·
OM NOM NOM
370 Posts
You're using special characters? If so Orion is an Excellent choice. He is a monster in combat, but just remember that he has his bolt-thrower bow and the horn of "haha everyone within 18 of Orion immediately takes a panic check". Just remember that he IS a wood elf, and must fight as such. Try not going for any toe-to-toe fights.

Also, get an alter with the spirit sword for your second lord. LD10+Spirit sword=Dead Ld7 Ogres.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I'm struggling most over what to take as my 2nd lord to accompany Orion. There's also a Noble in there on a Great Eagle with HoDA and HotH.

I'm considering taking a Highborn with the Spirit Sword, if so...i'm not sure what else to give him. Possibly AoN and an Enchanted Shield? I think the Spirit Sword could be lethal against ogres and would like to find out.:D

I'm also considering an Alter Highborn with the Bow of Loren. This will give me 5 shots per round, but my biggest question is would there be any benefit from taking Starfire Arrows as well? If I remember right, there's usually only 4 or so Ogres in a unit, so if I kill one...they're going to take a panic test anyway right?

What about a Spellweaver lvl4 w/ the Wand and maybe the Moonstone of Hidden Ways?

Any other good Lord setups vs. Ogres?
I'd take the spellweaver to counter his magic. Ogre magic is sneakily effective, making his units tougher, stronger, stubborn, regenerating, and the like.

The starfire arrows have to wound first, so str 3 against to 4, not terribly likely. And you're right, kill one model, maybe two, and you've got a panic test anyhow.

But a terror causer, now that could be fun. Make those ogres take some fear tests.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm currently debating between these two lord setups:

Orion + Highborn w/ spirit sword:
  • Can't take Waywatchers...which last time i used to march block him from the beginning of the game.
  • Glade Guard are special units...so when i take 3 units, i'm limited elsewhere
  • Does give 2 extra dispel dice
  • I really enjoy playing Orion and don't get the chance often
Spellweaver w/ wand and dispel scroll + Highborn w/ spirit sword:
  • None of Orion's kick ass rules :)
  • re-roll dispel tries
  • Waywatchers!
It seems that magic defense is going to be huge here. So both of those setups have some perks, with the Spellweaver getting the most effective nod there. I'd also consider taking the Lore of Life on the weaver for a bit of fun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry...meant highborn

·
Registered
222 Posts
Also a unit of wild rider must be taken cumpulsory, with Orin.

I find waywatchers would be a waste against ogres, use your rares, on a treeman to threaten his flanks. I took 2 treemen in a 2000 point game against ogres and it was fun. My oppenenat was scared and player conservative because he knew a treeman could rip through his army.

I find tree-singing is a really useful spell against ogres, as the will be forced to move 3 inches a turn. Good way to hit them with skirmishers, or dryads. Also potentially being able to destroy a majority of his units through the second part of tree-singing.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Wildriders are great at taking down Ogres, but shooting is your best friend.

Just remember to charge in the flank. Never be tempted to hit them in the front, no matter how good it looks.

A unit of glade riders for "Bait and Flee" will also work wonders in exposing those Ogre Flanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, it turns out i'm facing Graesus Goldtooth... anything i should know about him? :?

I've decided on taking Orion and a Highborn w/ Spirit Sword as my lords.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
If you want, you could take an Alter with the Wraithstone. Follow him behind the guy who's got the Spirit Sword, but then again, that's probably just a points sink.

You don't need Waywatchers to marchblock him. Use Glade Riders, Warhawks and suchlike.

You definitely want Wardancers. They can and will chop pretty much anything. A Treeman would be entertaining here as well (Strangleroot FTW!-especially as a Stand and Shoot reaction).

As has been previously said, massed firepower will do real well- just watch anything with T5- leave them for the Wild Riders or Spirit Sword. Glade Guard are great for their points here.

Good luck with the game- sorry I can't help much, I'm not too familiar at facing Ogres.

-AFG

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I learned that Orion and the Spirit Sword = bad news to Ogres.

The Highborn with the Spirit Sword charged in round 2 taking out 2 of the 4 bulls and causing them to flee and get overrun. In round 2 he charged into a 2nd unit of bulls with a mage in it, same result.

At the mid point in turn 3(bottom) I charged with Orion for the first time and the game subsequently ended. Half of his army was within 18 inches and a majority of them fled off the board. He conceded at that point. :p

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Lol. Very nice. Massed panic checks from low LD for the win (literally!). I wonder how a high born on a dragon with the spirit sword and Orion would have done...

·
Registered
222 Posts
So, it turns out i'm facing Graesus Goldtooth... anything i should know about him? :?
With graesus goldtoot, he has a few nasty abilitites. he has a 4+ ward save (not sure if just against non-magical attacks)

has a unit strength of 6, must be army general. must take 2 units of iron guts.

everone has their price - d3 units he can see, suffer from stupidity, i believe.

also any unit he see's fleeing automatically rally.

i think there are one or 2 more rules, but i cant remember them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.