Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put together a list that I'd like to play with our resident Nid player against our other two MEQ (usually BA/SW, but maybe BA/CSM) to show him how I'd play the codex - I'd be interested in your feedback, especially around the unit upgrades as I know what units worry me but I don't know the best way to equip them. For example regeneration: worth the points?

List 1 - Airborne
+ HQ +

* Hive Tyrant w/ Lash Whip and Bonesword, Regeneration, Scything Talons, Wings

+ Troops +
* 10x Termagant w/ Adrenal Glands, Spinefists, Toxin Sacs
* Tervigon w/ Cluster Spines, Dominion, Scything Talons + 2 extra powers

+ Fast Attack +

* Harpy w/ Scything Talons, Stinger Salvo, Twin-linked Strangle Thorn Cannon, Wings
* Harpy w/ Scything Talons, Stinger Salvo, Twin-linked Strangle Thorn Cannon, Wings

List 2 - Deep Strike
+ HQ +
* Hive Tyrant w/ Lash Whip and Bonesword, Regeneration, Scything Talons, Wings, Hive Commander

+ Elites +
* The Doom of Malan'tai w/ Mycetic Spore (Cluster Spines)
* 2x Zoanthrope w/ Mycetic Spore

+ Troops +
* 10x Termagant w/ Adrenal Glands, Fleshborers, Toxin Sacs
* Tervigon w/ Cluster Spines, Dominion, Scything Talons + 2 extra powers

+ Heavy Support +
* Trygon w/ Regeneration, Scything Talons (two sets)

The idea behind this lists is that you deploy the flyers, termagants and a tervigon on the table at the beginning.
Turn 1: the flyers swoop forward as fast as they can - 24+2d6" should get you pretty close with the flyrants, with the hive commander staying safe so you don't lose the +1 reserve bonus.
Turn 2: most of your reserves turn up, and by this point everything non-scoring should be so much in their faces they can't kill it all, and the Flyrants get into CC.
Turn 3: you ring the dinner time bell.
Scoring units hang back until it's safe to advance onto the objectives, if there are any.

Thoughts? Please be free with the constructive criticism, it's the first Nid list I've built
:D Both opponents are likely to play defensively with at least one fortress of redemption being all but guaranteed and I'd put money on the SW player touching himself at night while thinking of Long Fangs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi,
Here are my thoughts on the list. If I have gotten any of the rules wrong, I am sorry, but I don't think you can do what you plan to do. If you deploy a flying MC, they count as jump infantry so they can only move 12" in the first turn and because they are jump infantry they get hit on normal ballistic skill.

I would use basic termagants as they are the point tax you have to pay to unlock troop Tervigons. Troop Tervigons, I always load them out: AG, TS and 2 extra powers and if you have the spare points give them Talons.

You're right about Hive Commander, keep him safe at all costs!

I haven't used Harpies yet so I can't give you any advice on them but you have nothing in your army to deal with flying AV 12... Your thoughts on that?

Personally, I'd equip the Flyrants with Devourers w/BLW.

Regeneration? USELESS! You have more of a chance of lucking out on the psychic powers roll in Biomacy and then getting the it will not die power and then casting it on yourself or units you want to have it.

Trygons also need TS, you will be rerolling all to hit rolls and 2+ to wound rolls against the marines in CC.

There are my thoughts, I am interested in what you think on what I've said.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MCs with wings can "swoop" - this lets them move 12-24" and then run a further 2d6.

I suspected as much about regen.

Why do you upgrade your tervigons? Does it really make that much difference?

As for AV12 flyers, I was planning on vector strikes doing some damage... what would you recommend?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting about the swoop. Can you direct me to the page in the rule book so I can read more?

Also, if you run after swooping, would you be able to assault?

I upgrade the Tervigons so that the termagants that it spawns get the upgrades and then they are a bit more survivable. For example, if you charged a group of marines with a group of Termagants that had TS and AG, you would be hitting on 4's and then wounding on 4's rerolling misses. Thats very different to 4's, then 5's for standard termagants.

Vector strike with a Flyrant at best will give you 4 hits at strength 6, leaving you with an out of your favour dice roll to damage the plane. Whereas, if you give him a Devourer, you then had 12 twin-linked shots and you don't have to fly into it, just be within 18". MC's also have a 360 degree firing arc. My Flyrants in my list are pretty costly but they don't do too badly. This is how I tool mine up at 1850 points and higher...

HQ
Hive Tyrant, wings, 2 TL Devourers w/BLW, HC (warlord)

Hive Tyrant, wings, 2 TL Devourers w/BLW

On the topic of TS for the Trygons, yes you are right, it won't give you that many extra wounds for the 10 points so that is your call. I just like the piece of mind for when the dice gods aren't looking favourably on me that I have a second chance. I also guess the sam does apply for any of your MCs that you intend for combat, give them all TS (if you have the points)

Any other thoughts?

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see your point about the anti-flyer choices, I'll make some tweaks and post up a revised list.

As for the FMCs being able to assault while swooping - the answer is no, you have to switch out of swoop mode to assault. All of this is on the rulebook page that mentions swooping (don't have it with me ATM, as I'm in bed on my phone!)

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Revised List

Dropped regeneration across the board, gave the HTs a devourer each, moved the upgrades from the termagants to the tervigons, swapped the Doom for 2 more Zoanthropes, added a Hive Guard (to pop any light transports heading towards my deployment zone) and put Old Adversary onto the Warlord from the 1st list to give the main assault a bit more punch.

List 1 - Airborne
+ HQ +
* Hive Tyrant w/ Lash Whip and Bonesword, Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Wings, Old Adversary
* Hive Tyrant w/ Lash Whip and Bonesword, Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Wings

+ Elite +
* Hive Guard x 1

+ Troops +
* 10x Termagant w/ Fleshborers
* Tervigon w/ Adrenal Glands, Cluster Spines, Toxin Sacs, 2 extra powers

+ Fast Attack +

List 2 - Deep Strike
+ HQ +
* Hive Tyrant w/ Lash Whip and Bonesword, Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Wings, Hive Commander
* Hive Tyrant w/ Lash Whip and Bonesword, Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms, Wings

+ Elites +

+ Troops +
* 10x Termagant w/ Fleshborers
* Tervigon w/ Adrenal Glands, Cluster Spines, Toxin Sacs, 2 extra powers

+ Heavy Support +
* Trygon w/ Scything Talons (two sets)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not sure Old Adversary is worth the points. I did like the fact you had to different kinds of HT, I'd be tempted to tell you to go back to that. Also if your HTs are flying, they'll never get the chance to use their sword and whip so I would have 2 HT both with the wings and devourers and then the other 2, with ST and Whip and sword.

If you don't wanna give them the sword I would give them the heavy venom cannon as then you do have strength 9 shots, although this can't be shot at flyers as it is a blast.

What do you think?

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've made them ranged so I *can* shoot at flyers, however I always want them to be able to smash in CC. The can go from swoop to assaulting at the drop of a hat so all 4 shooting means I can't lose my anti-air capability with some unlucky rolls, but I can still get stuck in when needed.

Nids are made for CC IMO. I thought about OA as for 25pts I get rerolls to hit on the charge, which is as good as having twin-scything talons on anyone nearby.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 3,000 point list. I am limited on models right now and my friend wanted a 3,000 point game so i added points where ever i could find them. This is also just a fun annihilation list that I made (not 100% legal, but we don't really mind) let me know what you think.

HQ----

Hive Tyrant (Flyrant) TL dev w/ BLW, Stranglehorn cannon, wings, Hive Commander, Biomancy

Swarm Lord Biomancy
Tyrant Guard

Elite-----

2X Hive Guard
2X Hive Guard
Doom in spore with a TL death spitter

Fast Attack-----

3X Ravenars with Death spitters (Plan on deep striking with the help of one of the trygons)

Harpy TL HVC, Stinger salvo, regeneration
Harpy TL HVC, Cluster spine, regeneration

15X gargoyles
15X gargoyles

Heavy Support -------

Trygon Prime, regeneration, deep striking
Trygon, deep striking

Tyrannofex Rupture cannon, stinger salvo, thorax swarm w/DL

Carnifex TL dev, Stranglehorn cannon

Troops ------

20 Termagants w/ dev, toxin sacs
20 Termagants w/ dev, toxin sacs

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like I said not a legal list. I went with a very shooty list with 3 flyers to give support and be a distraction. I'm playing orks that have a battle wagon, jet and run lots of deff coptas, he also has lots of power claws which is why I like to keep my distance. Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas of things i can add. I would like to get some more zoanthropes but ran out of money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts