Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as Warhammer goes, I'm an old-timer. I started playing 2nd Edition 40k back in its heyday and I never made the transition to the new rules. Never liked 3rd Ed., neither did my friends, so we never switched.

This is mostly a question for the others that played back then, but if anyone else knows the answer, please step forward. My question is this:

Back in the late 90s I remember seeing rules for creating your own units. It used the stats of a basic Imperial Guardsman as the base point value. It then provided formulas for changing the point value relative to the increases and decreases in the stat block. It also gave point values to various abilities (like Frenzy or Immunity to Psychology). Then, you could give them whatever wargear you wanted using the point values from the Black Codex. It was a way to create home grown units or armies while still keeping the games balanced.

Here's the problem: I don't remember the exact rules nor where I found them. Does anyone know these, or know where I might find them?
:?

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Wish I could help you, but alas, I cannot.

If you do find themn, i'd be interested in seeing this formula making stat thingy.

Sounds like something that would be nice to use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was playing back then, but unfortunately I have no recollection of what you are talking about.

The only thing I've seen which is vaguely similar is the VDR.

·
Bloodbowl Hooligan
263 Posts
Hey Cade_Antilles where the rules actually in the original 2nd edition rulebook? I'm guessing you don't have a copy of it any more? Might be able to help you get a copy PM me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Cade_Antilles where the rules actually in the original 2nd edition rulebook? I'm guessing you don't have a copy of it any more? Might be able to help you get a copy PM me
They were not in the 2nd Ed Rulebook. I still have my copy (and still use it, albeit infrequently). Someone told me that they appeared in an issue of White Dwarf, way back when, but they hadn't kept their old issues. Maybe somebody still has 'em.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
I believe they had a digital copy on boardgamegeek, but I could be wrong there. Other than that I can give no advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I got my hands on a copy of Rogue Trader and there are Unit Creation Rules. Problem is, they were designed with 1st Edition in mind. This is evident in the use of 1/4 and 1/2 points. Also, there are no rules for adding special abilities like Frenzy or Terror. With some tweaking, it is possible to make these rules into the ones for 2nd Edition.

However, I know that the 2nd Edition rules for creating your homegrown units still exist. I'm certain I'm not crazy (at least not that brand of crazy). I still haven't found those, but I'm still looking.

Any more thoughts and/or ideas are welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts