Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have heard alot of buzz about GW working on a 4th ed of 40K, Not really a change in rules, just a reworking of some of the rules. For example new assault rules(already previewed), new vehicle rules, tinkering with rapid fire weapons...etc. I know its just rumors at this point and that nothing is for certain I would like to know what you guys think should be added or changed.

I for one would like to see the game return to some of its roots and focus more on missions and narritive stories. I have noticed with disturbing frequency that this game has degenerated into a who can build the most destructive army. I have noticed far too many games that dont use missions at all or completly diregard the mission in favor of trying to destroy the other army, only to have them lose because they lost sight of their objective.
I would also like to see them bring back Strategy Cards. I always loved them and the added that element of surprise that war is so famous for. They were one of my favorite parts of 2nd ed. even though I never seemed to get the good ones!

Anyway lets hear what else should be added/removed/fixed (Game balance issues, not powergaming jibberish.)

·
Lurking in the dark
549 Posts
strategy cards would be cool. never used 2nd ed, but I think they're kinda like titan mission cards in Space Marine. they rocked.

also, some more terrain inter-operability features would be nice. like a bunker with a machine gun nest, where the poor IG could actually use the mg, and maybe stand a chance against the onslaught of gaunts (kinda like aliens movie), or securing a helipad, to bring in reinforcements automatically, without reroll, or maybe a mekboy shop, where da ladz could fix their zogging battulwagon dats been damagaed by da humies.

whaddya think about interop terrain? making the terrain pieces more than lumps to move around or hide in.
any suggestions on cool interop pieces/rules?

·
Registered
290 Posts
what, huh, FOURTH EDITION40K!?!?!

NOOOooooo!!!!

I'm still recovering from the switch to third edition, i hope its not to extensive like you say, maybe like warhammer 40k version 3.2 or somthing. I don't want to have to worry about adapting my army again, make it like an offical all-in-one addon. Kind of like old skool "dark milenium" except make this add on/update actually useful instead of more confusimng!!

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Don't worry... They're not gonna make a totally new game like they did last time...

I agree that Strategy Cards (or weren't they called mission cards?) should be brought back but then again that is always something you can make yourself if you are playing with your mates...

I've made dozens of missions in my day that have been randomly delt out before playing...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right I dont think it will be a whole new edition per say. But a revision like they're doing to DND, so it might be 40K 3.5 or something...

And Strategy cards were the lil cards you could spring on your opponent at inopportune times. Cards like Forced March, Orbital Barrage, Craven Cowardice, "Look out Sir Arrrggg...." , And the most broken thing GW has ever made, Virus Outbreak. A card so lethal Andy Chambers instructed all 40k players at the time to destroy that card.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Hmmm.. Yeah... Think I remember them now...

Mission Cards were a bit bigger, right?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah they wer bigger and each player had his own mission which could be, and usually was, different than the other player. Imagine you have a cleanse mision and your opponent has a recon mision...That would be too confusing I think, instead secondary objectives might be cool

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't know, I could do without strategy cards. Really cards in general are the one thing I don't miss about 2nd ed! Now I don't have to worry about losing them.

Personally I think 3rd ed. tends to be more mission based than 2nd ed. ever was. 2nd ed. just had the mission cards but if you pounded the other guy into tiny little bits it didn't really matter who completed their mission (since missions were just worth victory points).

I don't mind the idea of separate missions, but only if they are combined in a way that makes sense. Perhaps instead of having cards just have missions where each side has a different objective.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I believe Fantasy Battles is a much older game, so it is only natural that it is on a higher edition than 40k.

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
what, huh, FOURTH EDITION40K!?!?!

NOOOooooo!!!!

I'm still recovering from the switch to third edition, i hope its not to extensive like you say, maybe like warhammer 40k version 3.2 or somthing. I don't want to have to worry about adapting my army again, make it like an offical all-in-one addon. Kind of like old skool "dark milenium" except make this add on/update actually useful instead of more confusimng!!
Nooooo indeed =/ I was never up for the 3rd Ed anyway, but thats just me...I've never really gotten on top of the new rules like I got on with 2nd Ed.
40k Ver 3.2 lol makes it sounds like some sort of windows update =)

As for the old mission cards...*Sigh* Those were the days =)

·
Registered
290 Posts
i gotta say mission cards chossen at random are kind of silly.

I mean, lets say you make a seige force, and you get a recon mission i mean WTF? Or lets say your a scout force like me, and you get a heavy siege mission.

It makes sooo much more sense to know your mission then design a force totackle it, rather then hoping your force is well rounded enough for anything. I mean, how often do feild artillary personel get engaged in HTH combat on today's battle field.

And don't say HTH never happens, its called city fight

·
Registered
131 Posts
All I want are the "trial" assault rules to become standard, the proposed new vehicle rules (which we have been playtesting some here in Charlotte) implimented, and two things brought back from second edition...save modifiers and overwatch at least in some form (maybe as a wargear item...maybe make the auspex useful for a mission other than strongpoint assault???). I really like 3rd edition as a whole since Character-Vehicle-Cyclone Missile Launcher-Hammer 40,000 (2nd edition) got pretty retarded at times. And I truly think the 2nd edition Space Wolves codex was even more broken than the virus outbreak card. Come on...an army of wolfguard terms each with a cyclone missile launcher and an assault cannon??? For those who didn't play 2nd Ed. 40k, the cyclone missile launcher could shoot a krak missile salvo with a 12" diameter blast! I've seen a 2000 point marine army wiped out to a man on turn one by this nonsense. Now that's BROKEN! :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Actually the max cycylone missile template was 6" diameter (which is kind of similar to an ordinance blast marker), each missile added 1/2", and remember that it had 12 missiles so if it tried to that full salvo it would only get one shot. Plus it had a chance of blowing up in the launcher (like all template weapons in 40k 2nd ed.)...check out the "funniest thing you've ever seen in a 40k game" thread for my experience with that...
Also, as the frequent opponent of a Space Wolves player, yeah, it was pretty bad. Wolf Guard were too good with all of those heavy weapons. On the other hand terminators were, I think, more appropriate in their abilities and also Wolf Guard weren't supposed to be allowed to have both a cyclone and an assault cannon on the same model (you can imagine my relief when I read that Q&A).

Overall 2nd ed. had a ton of problems, and 3rd ed. is sooooo much more playable. 3rd ed. really is pretty good overall, but if you want a really detailed game and you're good friends with your opponent (so when you get in an argument over the rules there won't be any hard feelings!) 2nd ed. can still be fun.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree that 2nd ed. can be fun, I played it for a long time. 3rd ed. is much faster and I belive lends itself to battles better. I remember the glory days of 2nd ed. when a 2000 point game would last all day! now you can wrap it up in a couple of hours. I still like 2nd ed. but 3rd ed. flows much better. 2nd ed. is wonderful for skirmish games, Necromunda, Gorkamorka...etc. In fact Necromunda is my favorite GW game, and 2nd ed. works perfect for it, when I heard they were going to re-release it I was worried they were going to try to change it to 3rd ed. and that would've been a crime.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
In my oppinion, they can change whatever they feel like, just that it doesn't tinker too much with the rules.
For one thing I don't want back is the crazy cyklone launcher back, in my oppinion that would ruin the game...

Eztrovia!

·
Registered
131 Posts
From what I hear, its still going to be a couple of years. I too am very aggainst ressurrection of the old cyclone launcher...that thing was waaay broken. I just wish terms could have a lascannon and the assault cannon really shouldn't suck quite so much.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i d dont know about all the "classic car" syndrome i hear from peeps... who here uses windows 3.1 or something like that... the game who if your like me have had for what 5-6 years?? who cares you get your 100 bucks out of it?? i did. at least with this release they had the book only option though it was still better to buy the box. for thoughs who bought it more recently... thems the brakes. any one who played second and still misses it are the same ones who had the "wolf-guard army" character hammer is gone long live 3rd.... 4th..... 5th.... 600th......... the game is better the modlels are better, they are as a matter of fact bringing our more plastics there by making it cheaper to play.. dont get me wrong they still mark it up huge... staff gets 60% off!! and they stilll make money but hey... we live in the Western/civilized world. Capitalism aint it a b**ch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ahhh yes, the old cyclone launcher...

*Grins like he actually knows what they're talking about*

I started playing a year ago, and just then read a thread about the 2nd ed with Cyclone Launchers having 12" blasts, etc. Almost funny, but then I never had to face the thing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.