Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I converted and have started reading the rule book but don't want to get too deep considering the new rule book is coming out in June, yes? In any case I got a great deal on a WoC spearhead (I paid $110 at the crappy local games store... not bad hunh?) and as such I want to get building so I have an army when the rules come out.

The problems:
1. 1st the spearhead only has one really viable core choice in the marauder horsemen so I obviously need some Chaos Warriors and maybe some mauraders, my question is what is the best load-out usually for equipment i.e. should I model the musician and standard bearer? Should I go with shields and hand weapons or use 2 hand weapons, etc...

2. How should I equip the maurader horsemen? I think most favor flails what do you think as I honestly don't know the difference in stats for flails vs spears etc... I think they'd look badass with some shields and maces but that's just me. Anywho I need some direction

3. Knights: Lances or leave with ensorcelled weapons?

4. Chosen: I'm lost here any direction would be nice

5. What Units do I need to buy in order to have a well balanced army? I obviously need some core units but once again do I need the mauraders or can I afford to field just warriors I was thinking of getting 3 regiments?

Thanks a ton guys as I am a total noob except for my 40K experience, ( I play Daemonhunters and Tau if anyone is interested) I appreciate the input.

Apollyon the aspiring hammer of Chaos

·
Registered
317 Posts
1) Depends on the theme of the army. Usually musicians are a must for infantries - to keep them where they are. For Warriors I'd go Halberd+Shield for the S5 attacks. For Marauders, either Flails or Great Weapon and Shields.

2) I model them with Flails and Shields (I put the shields on their backs, looks better that way IMO) but only use the Flails in games and that's fine. You can model the army to whatever you want them to look. Flails makes them hurty (S5), Throwing Spears and Axes enable them to engange from a range but they'll likely be charged next coming turn. They'll be dead either way you fit them, so less = better.

3) Definitely Ensorcelled Weapons. S6 on the charge is not that great considering the price per upgrade. Also, Magical attacks may help against certain enemies that can only be hit by magic weapons (the ghosts from Vampire Lords).

4) Build them to 10-15 strong. Halberds+Shields. Full Command. Mark of Tzeentch. Banner of Wrath. They move slow but can shoot magic missiles. Also hurt alot in combat.

5) How "balanced" do you want to play? Heavy magic? Combat heavy? If you like Knights, it might be better to go all cavalry. I strictly play all-cav tho, so cant help much with infantry armies. 2 blocks of 10 warriors and a block of 25 marauders sounds like a good start though.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
My thoughts in Red. Also, there is a ton of info in the Tactica Thread thats stickied, check that out, it may help.

Ok so I converted and have started reading the rule book but don't want to get too deep considering the new rule book is coming out in June, yes? In any case I got a great deal on a WoC spearhead (I paid $110 at the crappy local games store... not bad hunh?) and as such I want to get building so I have an army when the rules come out.
Not so crappy if they're selling these things at 110 bucks a pop lol
The problems:
1. 1st the spearhead only has one really viable core choice in the marauder horsemen so I obviously need some Chaos Warriors and maybe some mauraders, my question is what is the best load-out usually for equipment i.e. should I model the musician and standard bearer? Should I go with shields and hand weapons or use 2 hand weapons, etc...
If you want to do a balanced cav/infantry army, i'd suggest another unit of Marauder horse, maybe a Block of Warriors or Marauders and leave it there. Like Black Katz, i play strictly cav so i can't help alot with infantry

2. How should I equip the maurader horsemen? I think most favor flails what do you think as I honestly don't know the difference in stats for flails vs spears etc... I think they'd look badass with some shields and maces but that's just me. Anywho I need some direction
there a re a few good ways to equip them and it depends on what you want from them.

a) "Cruise Missles" Mark of Khorne, Flails. Fire them at something and let them do as much damage as possible to said target, just be careful of shooting, they can get shot down very easily.
b)Mark of Slannesh, Musician (which ever upgrades you prefer, i use flails and light armour) these are typical fast cav, which can be used to take out warmachine crews, solo mages, or redirect enemy units, march block (slow the enemy down essentially) and other harrassing things.

As Black katz said, they're going to die, its just a matter of how you use them while they're alive, so don't over equip them.

3. Knights: Lances or leave with ensorcelled weapons?

Ensorcelled weapons for sure.

4. Chosen: I'm lost here any direction would be nice
There are a couple of really nice builds for these guys.

FC, Banner of Rage, Mark of Nurgle, Shields and Halberds, with Favour of the gods on the champion, makes for a really really painful unit, so long as you don't let them get baited cause of their frenzy (a lot of the terms i use probably wont make a lot of sense unless you read the rules, so i highly recommend you do that lol)

Another, as BK mentioned, is a magic heavy unit: FC Mark of Tzeentch, Banner of Wrath, and i'd say put the Book of Secrets on the Champion. Only use this option if you use a magic heavy army, otherwise it won't do shit.

in any case, i'd take halberds and shields for them

5. What Units do I need to buy in order to have a well balanced army? I obviously need some core units but once again do I need the mauraders or can I afford to field just warriors I was thinking of getting 3 regiments?

I'll be Black katz' echo here, depends on what you want out of your list.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I play a theme army, because I'm a lore-monkey... roleplayer at heart, I guess. So Nurgle's my one god of choice, though if you're looking to be tournament-competative, you should probably run an undivided army.

I just got started myself, and I've been very happy with a list that roughly (without all the magic items thrown in) looks like this, models-wise:

•*2x L2 Sorcerers (converted from an Empire Wizards box + some Chaos-y bits from my other sprues)
•*1 unit of Knights (5)
•*1 unit of Marauder Horsemen (5)
•*2 units of Warriors (15 each)
•*2 units of Warhounds (5 each)

I get all of that from the Battleforce, a box of Warriors, a box of Marauder Horsemen, an Empire Wizard(s) box, and a few extra warriors I got from a friend who wasn't using them to round out the 15/squad instead of 12 like you get in a box. I don't even field my Marauders on foot at 1500 points. Stretching to 2000 points, I upgrade my leadership a lot, throw in my Exalted Champion (modded from a Chaos Warrior + some greenstuff and leftover Knight bits) and my Marauders on foot... Models-wise, I haven't changed a thing, except I'm fielding everything I have. WoC can be nice and cheap!

But, keep in mind, I run an infantry / cav mix with a heavy magic component (2x L2 sorcs at 1500, L4/L2+ BSB at 2000) so your mileage may vary.

My Marauder Horsemen are equipped with Light Armor / Mark of Nurgle to defend them from shooting (and because I'm running a Nurgle theme army), Flails, Throwing Axes, and Musician. The great thing about Fast cavalry is their free reform rule - you can basically igore troublesome things like wheeling and the like... place them wherever you want within your range like a 40k tank. This allows them a LOT of freedom to duck in and out of cover, or make sure they're on someone's flank, and using that unit to screen LOS from other possible shooters / chargers while you unload with Throwing axes at 2" range. Against low toughness / low armor armies (like Dark Elves) whipping a bunch of S4 axes into your opponent's flank can strip off rank bonuses quite necely, and if done smartly, your horsemen can see turn 6 with little problem. And, if they take a charge, Flails go a long way to making sure your oponent regrets his decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts