Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have done a search and every time some one has done a thread like this, some one starts asking for templates and the thread gets locked down.
I am not asking for templates! I do not want templates! And don't ask about templates cause no one is going to give them to you! I do not want this thread to be locked! If you want templates search google for them, do not post here.

I would like to suggestions about how make a drop pod with home items (such bottles, foamboard, etc.).

Any ideas are welcomed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Codicier_Korsai said:
I found a good set of instructions that use foamboard: (LINK CENSORED)

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the guy asked for suggestions WITHOUT templates... not sure how strict the mods will be but it might be a good idea to delete that link so that Korsai's thread isn't locked and he can get some help.

My roommate plays SM and he took an empty 50-cd spindle (the kind you get when you buy blank cds) and added a bunch of bits to it (spare transport doors, pintle storm bolters, missile racks... etc), he also made a couple fins out of plasticard.

Another idea he's thinking of is using a piece of PVC pipe with a cap on each end and exit hatches around the center. He plans on getting some clay/glue/something and driving it into the (modelled) ground and splitting it open, Marines pouring out. His idea comes a little from the "Struggle for Vor'Anoth" campaign's Tau Supply Canisters.

Another nifty idea might be taking soda/beer cans and arranging them in three's and adding access hatches.

Edit: took out the link from the quote to avoid hypocrisy :)

·
301 Posts
Mabey i'm just crazy, but I don't think that the link above infringes upon anything, its not a template, but a good set of instructions for cutting, gluing and painting foam core. Infact, it actually dosn't even give you the "design drawing" that the autor used to make the model, So you pretty much have to grab some grid paper, and design your own, using the basic ideas presented.

I'm pretty sure that the only thing that is goning to get this thread locked, is posting of "The Template". Those of you that have seen it, know that this is something completely diffrent. As Far as I know, there is only the one or two, at least in so far as drop pods. (No, i'm not going to post a link to it, tell you where to find it, or send it to you. And if you ask me through this thread, PM, or registered mail, I'll report you to a mod.)

As soon as I get the rules for the dreadclaw, i'll be making use of this.

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
Yeah, I've seen THE template as well, though I have no idea where it is now (site was deleted a year ago).

That being said, I really don't see the big deal with distributing the template. I mean, as I recall, it only approximates the Forge World DP in shape, and requires you to buy the plasticard, cut it out, assemble it properly and paint it. In other words, the only thing it could save you from if you scratch-built it yourself is actually drawing the design. It's not like you made a mold of a Forge World DP and began to sell them yourself. Furthermore, this game is one of improvisation. Should we ban all sites that give details with how to model a "rubble" marker, just because GW sells its own "rubble" set?

Unless GW has trademarked the actual shape of the drop pod, there is no way it can enforce this idea. Furthermore, the link above not only has NO SCHEMATICS, but looks significantly different from the FW drop -pod (and better, I might add).

All this lawyering gets a little old, in my estimation. I respect the mods wish to deny ANY appearance of copyright infringement, though, and thus understand their position. After all, if not for LO, where could I rant? :tongue:

That being said, I DO NOT HAVE THE TEMPLATE! Please do not ask.

·
Registered
182 Posts
daedelus said:
Mabey i'm just crazy, but I don't think that the link above infringes upon anything, its not a template, but a good set of instructions for cutting, gluing and painting foam core. Infact, it actually dosn't even give you the "design drawing" that the autor used to make the model, So you pretty much have to grab some grid paper, and design your own, using the basic ideas presented.

I'm pretty sure that the only thing that is goning to get this thread locked, is posting of "The Template". Those of you that have seen it, know that this is something completely diffrent. As Far as I know, there is only the one or two, at least in so far as drop pods. (No, i'm not going to post a link to it, tell you where to find it, or send it to you. And if you ask me through this thread, PM, or registered mail, I'll report you to a mod.)

As soon as I get the rules for the dreadclaw, i'll be making use of this.

Well I'll be... I AM crazy! I saw a link titled "Templates" and got a little overzealous... I apologize for jumping the gun and humbly beg for your forgiveness ;)

On that note, I fully agree that those drop pods look GREAT... I'm gonna point them out to my roommate and see if he'll use them... I hate the fact that IG can't use drop pods... i don't have an excuse for making them :-\

·
Proud banner bearer of LO
945 Posts
I posted the link because it varies from the dropod and actually looks better. So it cant be locked. I reckon this should be pinned somewhere because its 100% legal and 200% useful.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know how the first people got it, probably leaked accidently. Ever since people started posting about Gw asked the mods to start cracking down and lock threads. The people who have it know will not give it away for fear of the mods.

So do us all a favor and don't ask about the templates, even in a pm. (This means EVERYBODY)

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
So it cant be locked. I reckon this should be pinned somewhere because its 100% legal and 200% useful.
Oh, but it can be locked ;)

Unfortunaltly, I'm not so sure it is 100% legal, since its based on something that is GW's IP.

I will try and find out the specifics, but I am going to remove that link in the meantime. So please don't post it again.

And since Grand Master wants help, I won't be locking the thread, but be warned, I will be sub'ing it, so I will check every post.

Oh, and one more note, I don't want this thread boiling into the legal issues. I'm removing the link, and thats that....makes things simplier that way ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Alright I think i found a good way to make a drop pod.
Materials:
2 liter soda bottle (who doesn't drink soda?)
Scissors
Foam board
Cardboard (just cut out a piece from the GW boxes)
Hobby knife
Utility knife
Elmer's Glue (or something else)

1. Just cut off an end of the soda bottle doesn't matter which.
2. Using cardboard you will have to sight a form for the fin that fits to the end of the soda bottle and then cut that out. It may take a few tries.
3. Put cardboard on foamboard and then cut out fin from foamboard.
4. Glue foamboard fin to the end of the soda bottle.
5. Add any details/equipment
6. Paint

Once your done with one end of the soda bottle use the other, don't waste. I don't think size will be any issue because if you cut the end of the bottle big enough you can fit a dreadnaught in it.

Im am currently working on it as I type this and I'll try to get some picks up when im done but no promises. This very cheap to do as i already had everything lying some in my house. The total cost was $0.

Reactions: Lleu
1 - 11 of 11 Posts