Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being something of an amature Godzilla fan, I was wondering if it could be possible to use the 40K rules to stat up the King of Monsters and his massive list of enemies, allies and genre-relatives. I had an idea for a basic background for Kaiju, as well as stats for Godzilla himself, but I just thought I'd ask before posting. Below is the basic "Kaiju" Special Rule, which is utilised by all of the creatures this topic covers. Because I have no knowledge of the Titan rules, this just uses generic 40K rules.

Kaiju:
Gargantua- the Armour Save of a Kaiju is very special, representing as it does their sheer size as well as any natural armour and/or rapid healing ability they may have. Consequently, the save of a Kaiju cannot be nullified by anything, not a Dreadaxe, not a Power Weapon, not a Monstrous Creature, not even a C'Tan.

Incredible Strength- the attacks of a Kaiju ignore the Armour and Invulnerable saves of all units bar Monstrous Creatures and other Kaiju.

Terrifying- massive creatures easily able to go toe-to-toe with an Imperial Titan, Kaiju scare the hell out of ground troops. All non-Vehicle units must pass an Ld test to Assault a Kaiju.

·
Registered
598 Posts
if you wanted to use them as creatures roaming the battlefield, that would be cool. However putting them as an army or as allies for an army or some such could get wierd fast.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creatures roaming the battlefield is essentially what I wanted, though I think the original scenario revolved around your army fighting a single Kaiju at a time. For no particualr reason, here's an attempt at the "Classic" Godzilla.

Godzilla, King of Kaiju
Ws: 7
Bs: 7
S: 8
T: 10
W: 10
I: 6
A: 5
Ld: 10
Sv: 2+

Special Rules:
Kaiju
Nuke-Blast: used during the shooting phase, range 36", Str10, Ap1, Large Blast

·
Registered
341 Posts
You know what I'd like to see?

Rules like this for EPIC 40,000. I wanna see giant monsters throwing each other through buildings while tank battalions try (fruitlessly) to shoot them down. I think there's serious potential here.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotta agree with you; that sounds like what I intended. Pity I haven't a clue how to do it. I do have one thing of use; this website has a "statlist" of all the Kaiju that have ever been produced, in Movies or Comics.

http://www.kaijuphile.com/rodansroost/

This might be of some use to help "converting" the Kaiju.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Hmm... The models would be seriously huge, lol. Far larger than a titan, once we got to the Hesei series of Godzilla movies. Biollante, Space Godzilla, Destroyah... All massive creatures.

I like the idea though. This is cool.:yes:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Firedrake28! I remember you from Codex: Necromancers. How have you been? How has the playtesting been going?

·
Pure Venom.
1,306 Posts
I don't really know loads about Godzilla, but from a rules point of view, i think you should lower his initiative - i'd imagine him as a beast simply walking around implacably stepping on things, rather than throwing lightning-fast attacks. Also, maybe switch the strength and toughness characteristics - Strength 10 is easily enough to smash down a building and squish tanks, And toughness eight with ten wounds is easily enough to take a enough battlecannon shots, especially with the strength of his hide - it really depends. Is godzilla heavily armoured, or is he simply able to take A LOT of damage before he goes down. I'd say make him 3+ or 4+ kaiju save with toughness 10, or 2+ with toughness 8. Would make it a little more doable but still a struggle to take him out.

LoC

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice sugestions, thanks. Here's the reworked version- I originally game him I6 because, while not the fastest mover, he's a pretty good brawler. As for defence; I'd say it's both. He's got massive endurance, super-speed natural healing and thick hide.

Godzilla, King of Kaiju
Bs: 7
S: 10
T: 8
W: 10
I: 6
A: 5
Ld: 10

Special Rules:
Kaiju
Nuke-Blast: used during the shooting phase, range 36", Str10, Ap1, Large Blast

Here are another Kaiju, though I haven't seen it in action myself; Megalon.

Megalon, God of Seatopia
Bs: 5
S: 8
T: 8
W: 7
I: 3
A: 3
Ld: 6

Special Rules
Kaiju
Deep Strike
Electric Horn Beam: During the Shooting Phase, Megalon can opt to blast an opponent with energy from his horn. Range 24", S9, Ap2.
Napalm Globs: Megalon can spit explosive globules of incendiary gel during the Shooting Phase. Using this attack lets Megalon launch D3+1 Napalm Globs, each of which may target a seperate unit within 12". A unit struck by a Napalm Glob gets the Large Blast Template placed in the center of the unit; those covered completely are affected automatically, those partially covered are affected on a 4+. Affected models suffer a S6 Ap4 hit.

By the way, the Kaiju rule should be expanded to include the following:
Immune to Difficult Terrain: Kaiju are so huge that they can simply walk over or just plain crush obstacles.

Above Mortals: Kaiju are immune to all Morale and Panic tests caused by non-Kaiju.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The idea that the C'tan can't ignore their armor saves is strange. They're GODS for Pete's sake.
However, as a lover of the old Godzilla movies, I love the idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey any chance of fitting Cthulhu in here? He would definately fit the catagory of huge lumbering creatures. And it would work in 40k because he is a transdimentional creature so he could have come out of the warp ya know, like a super uber chaos god?

·
Registered
598 Posts
C'thulu is pretty much a c'tan... isn't he/it?

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Cthulhu is just a little big for 40K scale... lol. He's about 6000 feet tall. Godzilla, at his largest, during the Hesei series, only reached 100 meters.

I think you'd best add a regeneration type ability, because his G-cells heal almost all wounds instantly. Maybe give him the same ability as a Carnifex with rengerate, but on a 4+? I know that sounds and IS absolutely beastly, but Godzilla has survived a direct hit from a nuclear weapon before, taking it right in the chest. It knocked him over, but he healed it up within a few minutes. Also... I believe he became more powerful afterwards, because it was nuclear energy that gave him the power that he has.

I'd add in a rule about the massive amounts of radiation that would come off of his body. Maybe units within 12" are effected with a Nurgle's Rot type ability?

Also, SO few of the models in 40K are large enough for to be a challenge that he better cost a HUGE amount of points. I'm talking something along the lines of 2K points for him by himself, just because almost NONE of the weapons would even scratch him, let along punch through his hide to actually cause any damage.

Here's what I'd consider reasonable. Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, and I'm not trying to take this idea from ya.

Godzilla, King of the Monsters (Showa Version ((for those that don't know what Showa is, it's the first series of Godzilla movies, ranging from Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1955)/ Gojira (1954) and ending at Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975). This Godzilla stands at about 50 meters tall.

Godzilla, King of the Monsters

WS: 5 (I believe that 99.9% of the things he'd be fighting would be so small that he'd have a hard time hitting them)
BS: 4 (He's pretty accurcate with his Atomic Breath, but once again, the targets are small)
S: 10 (I don't think I need to explain this)
T: 9 (Just so Tau pulse rifles aren't gonna be wounding him. That would just be stupid)
W: 10 (Duh)
I: 1 (I think he'd fail to notice most of the things attacking him, because he'd be busy blowing the hell out of the rest of the army)
A: 5 (Perfect)
LD: 10
Save: 2+/3+/4+ (The first is an armor save, the second an invulnerable save, and the third being his regenerating that I spoke about above)

Special Rules

Kaiju

Atomic Breath: Range: 72" Strength: 10 Ap: 1 heavy 1 Ordnance blast, barrage

That seems about right to me, when we're talking about the Showa version. If you wanna talk Hesei (from Godzilla Returns ((1985)) to Godzilla vs. Destroyah ((1995)) I believe he'd look more along these lines...

WS: 4
BS: 4
S: 10
T: 10
I: 1
A: 7
LD: 10
Sv: 2+/2+/4+

Special Rules

Kaiju

Atomic Breath: Range: 120" Strength: 10 AP: 1 Heavy 1 Ordnance barrage

Nuclear Pulse: Godzilla is able, when made angry enough, to unleash a massive shockwave of pure nuclear energy powerful enough to turn a titan to ashes in a second. Once per Godzilla's turn, all models within 24" of Godzilla take a single Strength 10 Ap3 hit. This ability can only be used after Godzilla has suffered more than 2 wounds during the course of the game. Cover saves are not allowed, but models may attempt invulnerable saves as normal.

I know this thing is an absolute beast, and is so powerful that it would likely take a 4000 point army of tankbusting weapons to bring him down, but... This is Godzilla we're talking about, people. The entire Japanese air force has tried to bring him down, aided by the United States army, the Chinese and the Russians, and they all get their asses handed to them on a silver platter. This being is like a living God.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I prefer your take on the creatures Firedrake28, how about doing up some more? Not having really watched all of them (Destroy All Monsters, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster and, I think, a colour remake of Gojira) I can't consider myself knowledgable enough to do this.

Though I notice you seem to think my Kaiju special rule (with the expansions from my last post) seems to suit.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
In all honesty, Kaiju really aren't fit for the 40K scale. Epic is a little more fitting. There isn't any way to make 40K Kaiju anywhere NEAR fair, without taking their abilities down to the point where you may as well buy a Bloodthirster. If I was more familiar with the Epic rules, I could do better, but... I'm unable to help here, really. Sorry.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.