Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a go with the necromunda rules a few weeks ago and played a few games, but has anyone played using 40k figures using necromunda rules? I just found that its a little like kill team but you get way more exciting games. you have to play with someone who doesnt mind addapting rules as you go along though.

I played a few games with basic guard squads against each other in an industrial complex to see how it woked, and a few days ago i did a large game with about 40 guardsmen attacking a landing pad defended by a few marines and a few loyal guardsmen and that seemed to work well as well 9though it took 4 people to control the minatures)

any thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think that is a good idea. 40k is made to be larger scale, and the rules for 40k adapt to that, and I guess Epic do the same, for even larger scale battles.

Necromunda rules make Necromunda the most fun GW game I have ever played, but those rules are not made for 40k battles. They work because gangs are only small.

:|

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah, a friend of mine and I are adapting a game tentatively called "Necrohammer" using 40k, Necromunda, and Mordheim game mechanics. I always liked the idea of Necromunda, but found it too limiting. Right now we've got the IG, SM, and Kroot at the point of playtesting, and we're working on 'Nids and Tau. Once we get it al together I'm going to throw the stuff on the net for general consumption. Just gotta be careful about GW's copyrights...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we rarely have battles with more than about 10 men on each side, it just makes for a more exciting game. In 40k it can be quite predictable what will happpen, but in necromunda you can use all kinds of stuff like sprinting and cover which makes it far more tactical. It also makes you care about each man - if you loose a marine or a guardsman in 40k you dont reallly care, but using necromunder rules loosing one man can make alll the ifference - especially when fighting in inductrial complexes with multiple levels.

·
God's nutcase
1,906 Posts
DragonGuard said:
but those rules are not made for 40k battles.
They were originally made for 40K. The battles fought in second edition 40K evolved to be about 1,500-2,000 points a side (with points costs pretty much double what they are now - a SM tactical squad of 10 marines was 300 points, for example), but started off smaller. If you can dig out a copy of the 2nd edition rules and points costs, 500-600 points will give a very decent skirmish game on a 4' square table.

DragonGuard said:
Right now we've got the IG, SM, and Kroot at the point of playtesting, and we're working on 'Nids and Tau. Once we get it al together I'm going to throw the stuff on the net for general consumption. Just gotta be careful about GW's copyrights...
Look on eBay, see if you can find any 2nd edition material, that'll help. The only races not covered are the Tau and Kroot, although at that point there was no Necron codex, just some rules in WD (where scarabs could chew through tank hulls, it rocked). The stuff is balanced within the 2nd edition rules.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awsome, i'll have to check that out. I just find having fewer men makes games way more tense and exciting, and then things like having a bolter jam at a crucial time can mess up your whole plan!

Weve had a go with space marines using necromunder rules and we basically decided you need to make them twice the point cost, but upgrade their stats. That way 6 guardsmen can easily take down a marine if theyre in a group, but if they split up then they tend to get killed. oh, and we made it so that a marines bolter is less easy to jam - we figured theyd be better at maintaining them than gang members!

·
God's nutcase
1,906 Posts
Marines were 30 points each, I think an IG infantryman was 10. The stats shouldn't need altering once you slot that in. Orks (armed with bolters or bolt pistols & CC weapons, with the stats of feral orks) were 12 each. Not too sure about the rest, but it'll be something close to double.

And jamming and so on didn't happen in old 40K, ammo rolls were a creation of Necromunda. It depends exactly what you're going for as to whether you want them or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well were still experimenting with it reallly, as you do when your trying to addapt rules. The guy im playing with is cool with changing rules as you go along to find out what works and waht doesnt. We decided to leave guardsman pretty much as they are (mabye a little more expensive, but the same stat wise), but since space marines are supposed to be dem gods we thought wed improve them quite a bit but obviously boost the cost quite a bit. Weve only played with imperial forces so far, but since my main army is the ellder i might try and expand it into that. I think i'lll keep the ammo roles, but tone it down a lot more so mabye you can only not shoot for the next turn as you clear the jam rather than not having the gun for the rest of the game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts