Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

40K VW MKII.V - Battle #13 - Imperial Guard vs. Chaos Space Marines

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  [Black] Katalyst 
#1 · (Edited)
Please see this thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner.

Mission Type - Recon

Mission Level - Omega

Special Rules - Escalation, Concealment, Infiltration, Deep Strike, Victory Points

12th Au’lagian Assault Group.
Imperial Guard

HQ - 357
Brevet Captain (JO) Marinov
+Honorifica Imperialis
+Power Sword
+Bolt pistol
+Iron Discipline
+Master Vox
+Veteran with Company Standard

Anti-Tank Support Squad
+6x Guardsmen.
+3x Lascannon’
+6x Cameleoline

Anti-Tank Support Squad
+6x Guardsmen.
+3x Lascannon’
+6x Cameleoline

Elites - 501
8x Storm Troopers 140
+5x Hellguns
+2x Plasma Guns
+1x Hellgun and Vox
+Veteran Sergeant
++Plasma Pistol
++Power Sword
++Infiltrate Skill

8x Storm Troopers - 221
+5x Hellguns
+2x Melta Guns
+1x Hellgun and Vox
+Veteran Sergeant
++Plasma Pistol
++Power Sword
++Infiltrate Skill
+Chimaera Transport
++Hull mounted heavy bolter
++Multilaser
++Extra Armour

8x Storm Troopers 140
+5x Hellguns
+2x Plasma Guns
+1x Hellgun and Vox
+Veteran Sergeant
++Storm Bolter
++Power Sword
++Infiltrate

Troops - 262
8x Storm Troopers
+5 Hellguns
+2 Plasma Guns
+1 Hellgun and Vox
1 Veteran Sergeant
+Storm Bolter
+Power Sword

8x Storm Troopers
+5x Hellguns
+2x Grenade Launchers
+1x Hellgun and Vox
+Veteran Sergeant
++Storm Bolter
++Power Sword

Fast Attack - 240
Hellhound
+Extra Armour

Hellhound
+Extra Armour

Heavy Support - 465
Basilisk
+Indirect Fire

Leman Russ Main Battle Tank
+Hull Lascannon
+Sponson Heavy Bolters
+Extra Armour

Leman Russ Main Battle Tank
+Hull Lascannon
+Sponson Heavy Bolters
+Extra Armour

Fluff:
The 12th Au’Lagian are currently stationed aboard the Overlord Class Battle Cruiser Enduring Grace. Part of a Task force combating splinter fleets of Hive Fleet Leviathan and the chaos they cause. In surrounding areas troops have been stripped from worlds to halt the ‘Nid invasion leaving traitors, Orks and even Eldar to take advantage of the Imperium’s weakness. The Au’Lagian are highly trained and equipped to fight in any environment, be it putting down a mutie uprising or combating the super-fast Eldar. Their equipment is superior due to a continuing Munitorium oversight in sending 3 Regiments worth of equipment to a single one (2 other regiments in the task force met Tyranid forces and were destroyed).

Tactics:
Tactically they rely on massed firepower capable of dealing with a multitude of adversaries from gigantic Hive Beasts to swarms of Orks. The Squads spread out, some infiltrating from pre assault drop ship deployment to meet the enemy and close the range.
Though close combat is not the desired outcome.
Small squads are deployed from the Enduring Grace in the later stages of an engagement to attack the rear armour of troublesome units or add firepower to where it’s needed.

Any combated unit is swiftly isolated and its assailants dealt with by application of mass firepower.

-----------------

Chaos Space Marines Black Legion

HQ - 176
Chaos Lord
+Mark of Khorne
+Darkblade
+Daemonic Speed
+Daemonic Aura
+Daemonic Mutation
+Daemonic Strength
+Daemonic Resilience
+Feel No Pain

Troops - 614
9X Chaos Space Marines - 188
+9x Infiltrate
+6x Bolt Pistol and CC Weapons
+2x Plasma guns
++Aspiring Champ
++Power fist & Bolt Pistol
++Infiltration

9X Chaos Space Marines - 188
+9x Infiltrate
+6x Bolt Pistol and CC Weapons
+2x Plasma guns
++Aspiring Champ
++Infiltration

9x Chaos Space Marines - 238
+9x Infiltrate
+6 Bolt Pistol and CC Weapons
+2 Meltagun
++Aspiring Champ
++Daemonic Mutation
++Spiky Bits

Fast Attack - 415
9x Raptors Squad - 415
+9x Infiltrate
+9x Furious Charge
+2 Meltaguns
++Aspiring Champion
++Daemonic Mutation
++Spiky Bits

Heavy Support - 630
10x Havoc Sqaud - 280
+10x Infiltrate
+10x Tank hunters
+6x Bolters
+4x Autocannons

Defiler - 175
+Indirect Fire

Defiler - 175
+Indirect Fire

Tactics:

Defilers hold back to rain death from above for awhile, while units also hold back until opposing army gets bold enough to move forward. Charging forward CSM units hit with assault weapons and move in for the slaughter.
A squad of Raptors goes in for a precision strike if need be with HQ following, should the army face a unit of grave magnitude. Most units are capable of destroying vehicles should the situations arise, both with meltas and powerfists. This is strictly if under the ideal situations of course. This time the squads are filled out to avoid various Ld checks early in the game.

See less See more
#2 ·
I vote IG

Escalation will prevent Chaos from bringing all their force to bear at once, and the IG have a huge amount of firepower, which doesn't need to move to be at the location it needs to be to have an effective amount of killyness.

#3 ·
Im confused - the Lord has Feel No Pain, which would suggest he's Khorne, but Khorne can't have Havocs or infiltrate, so whats going on there? Also, he has 2 Daemonic Strengths. :S

Regardless, I vote for IG.

The amount of Plasma and Lascannons that will be in place when the Defilers come on will be enough to blow the hell outta them, and the marines aren't gonna get too close without eating plasma death.

Also, I can see those havocs eating pie until they die. In the form of 2 Russes and a Basalisk, at least...

#5 ·
Imperial Guard

The CSM do not have nearly enough anti-tank firepower to take down 2 Russ' and a Basalisk.

The IG have thier own infiltrators which will really hurt the CSM's deployment. There is a 50:50 chance the IG will get to infiltrate first meaning that they will force the CSM far from thier army baseline with at least thier second infiltrating unit. As IG can shoot to win and do not need to close to combat this gives them a huge advantage.

#7 · (Edited)
Robizzle said:
Im confused - the Lord has Feel No Pain, which would suggest he's Khorne, but Khorne can't have Havocs or infiltrate, so whats going on there? Also, he has 2 Daemonic Strengths. :S
The list is a Black Legion list, standard Chaos. Only if s/he were playing a pure Khornate list were s/he restricted to not having Havocs or Raptors. With this set up, the only restriction s/he has is not having any Slaaneshi units, which s/he does seem to obey.

The strength issue was a copy/paste error I think - it's supposed to be Resilience. I've changed it out.

Edit -
I also missed a tactics section for the Black Legion. I've added it into the post. My apologies to the Black Legion list owner.

#10 ·
I vote Chaos, because I think all those large units of infiltrating troops and CCW/bolt pistols will get in to HtH and break up too many lines of fire for the guard's somewhat superior firepower to destroy the opposing army. Also, this guard's armies forces do not have the numbers of a more standard IG list, and thus less firepower even though the Stormtroopers are individually better.

I love the IG fluff on this army though. Heh. Bureaucratic ****up leads to kick ass unit.

So thats 6 IG, 1 CSM

#13 · (Edited)
Chaos easly takes this game, since none of the heavy firepower for IG will deploy on the table, while the chaos player get a turn to really hammer the strom troopers. Basically, there is almost garantreed to be a place on the table where those havics can infiltrate to, which is 12" away from something, with there jump packs thats a first turn charge. All the other chaos stuff, can move up and blast the stuffing out of those strom troopers, who wont have as much luck against the marines, (or vis versa, except that the marines are still doing the hammering)

The auto cannon squad is slimply going to terrorise the command section for IG, or almost destory a squad of strom troopers.

The IG starts with 2 strom trooper squads 2 lascannons team squads, a command sections, and 2 more infiltarting strom troops.

Compare that to what the chaos player will have:

A chaos lord counts as caverly, so that means he can move an extra D6 inches, averages to be 3.5 or 3, so thats a 9 inch move, then he can assault 12 inches. Thats a first turn charge granteed, and hes more then capable of winning combate against 8 strom troopers.

30 space marines, if they all had bolters that would be: 13 dead strom troopers, or much worse if they picked on the weeker IG, but im assuming the strom troops are trying to hold the chaos marines away from the lascannons, and HQ.
Of course they wont have quiet that many shots, but thats still a squad of strom troopers dead.

The havoics could almost take out a strom trooper squad, they could kill about 5 of them, assuming they havent been horribly decminated by firepower. At least 4 dead from the auto cannons.

Finally the Raptors, if they can find a place to hide, which it seems reasonable that there would be one spot on the map that the IG couldnt see, thats just under 18"s from something, the havocis could launch assaults, and probably whipe out, or come close to, destorying another squad of strom troopers.

Thats all 4 strom troops squads, and probably not that many space marine casuatlies, almost none if the marines went first.

I think some of you that voted IG, really should take a second look.

I vote chaos.

#14 ·
If the IG command squad is safely behind a hill, the autocannons can't touch them.

The IG gets to fill his DZ with troops, limiting the CSM's ability to infiltrate close. If the IG plonked an infiltrating unit of thier own out there they could reduce the areas for the CSM to infiltrate into to practicaly zero.

Recon mission means a distance between the armies of at least 24" between the enemy. Unless the IG commander is stupid enough to infiltrate within 21.5" of the CSM lord he cant be touched.

Half that number from bolt pistols and as the IG have forceds the CSM to infiltrate to over 18" away they cant do it turn 1 anyway.

You do not allow for cover, it helps the IG alot more than the CSM. Even woods greatly reduce the kill power of the autocannon.

As Raptors are Fast Attack in all likelihood they will be infiltrating after the 2 squads of Stromtrooper infiltrators, there wont be any blind spots in decent positions near the IG.

The CSM still doesnt have much decent anti-tank shooting like Addoran said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.