Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please see this thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner.

Mission Type - Seek and Destroy

Mission Level - Alpha

Special Rules - Victory Points

Pride of Evisu
(Alaitoc Craftworld Eldar)

HQ - 340
Farseer
+Jetbike
+Mind War
+Singing Spear

Farseer
+Jetbike
+Fortune
+Runes of Witnessing
+2 Warlock
++Jetbikes
++Destructor, Destructor
++Witchblade+SP, Witchblade+SP

Troops - 224
4 Rangers

4 Rangers

3 Rangers

3 Rangers

Elite - 720
9 Striking Scorpions
+1 Scorpion Exarch
++Scorpion Claw
+Wave Serpent
++Linked Bright Lances

9 Striking Scorpions
+1 Scorpion Exarch
++Scorpion Claw
+Wave Serpent
++Linked Bright Lances

3 Alaitoc Path-Finders

Heavy Support - 540
Falcon
+Shuriken Cannon
+Starcannon
+Holofield
+Spirit Stone

Falcon
+Shuriken Cannon
+Starcannon
+Holofield
+Spirit Stone

Wraithlord
+Flamer, Flamer
+Bright Lance

Tactics:
Fairly easy-to-use list, with a balance between anti-MEQ firepower and anti-horde weaponry. Heavy investment in surgical strike unit of Farseer w/ 2 Warlocks; versatile use of anti-armour or anti-infantry. Lone farseer performs hit-and-run duties, using combination of singing spear to attack armour and mind war to attack heavy weapons or power claws.

------------------

DA Strike Force "Rendingwing"
Dark Angels Ravenwing

HQ - 411

Master of the Ravenwing - 255 pts
+ Land Speeder

Reclusiarch - 156 pts
+Blades of reason
+Terminator honours
+Bike
+Bolt pistol
+Artificer armour

TROOPS - 716

4X Ravenwing bike squadron - 292 pts
+2X Meltagun
+Veteran sergeant
++Bolt Pistol
++Powerfist
++Auspex
+Attack bike
++Multi-melta

4X Ravenwing bike squadron - 292 pts
+2X Meltagun
+Veteran sergeant
++Bolt Pistol
++Powerfist
++Auspex
+Attack bike
++Multi-melta

3X Ravenwing bike squadron - 132
+2x plasma guns

FAST ATTACK - 720

3X Ravenwing Land Speeder Squadron - 240 pts
+3X Assault Cannons

+3X Assault Cannons

+3X Assault Cannons

TACTICS
The bikes (and chaplain), depending on the enemy, either turboboost on one flank, or move regularly toward cover. The Land Speeders deploy and move on the other flank, or where there are more hoarde-type units. Each LST squadron can put out 21 AP4 shots per turn, enough to handle swarms. The chaplain and bike squad to which he is attached will kill an average of 8 Space Marines per turn, so they go for well-armoured units (or vehicles). If there is a transport, the bikes turboboost around the vehicle exits, and a LST squadron will rend the vehicle. If a single penetrating hit is caused, all passengers are forced to exit and are killed because of the bikes who surroud the access points. The master of the Ravenwing on Speeder mostly jumps form cover to cover using the ravensword to pick out heavy-weapon models or sergeants, and using the all-seeing eye ability to aid the LSTs with their rending. By turn 3, all the bikes and LSTs move inward, catching the enemy in a pincer grip of rending and melta shots. All army types are easily dispatched by this.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The bikes will be initially disrupted. The land speeders will take heavy casualties to the falcons who are relatively immune to their fire (holo fields make assault cannons very ineffective, which is odd, considering that a many shot weapon would be the best way to take down something that made it hard to figure out exactly where to aim. Odd, oh well).

Mindwar can destroy powerfists and the serpents and scorpions can then clear out the bikes

I vote Eldar

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
Mind war is good....but not great. It won't kill many of the things it needs to in order to bee truly effective, and those Land Speeders are gonna give you one hell of a time.

However, I'm sure the Ravenwing player could have difficulty shooting down those Falcons without any decent anti-tank....and with those rangers possibly holding some units up, and those starcannons....

my vote goes to Eldar

·
480 Posts
Eldar
Mobile firepower doesn't mean **** when it can't touch a good percentage of the army (both falcons), and Ravenwing will get dominated simply by the heavy support of the Eldar, especially after the landspeeders are taken down, the wraithlord is a scary sight. As well, a load of bikes are gonna start in reserve, and allowing the Eldar concentration of force in the first few turns - doesn't help at all.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Eldar.

LST's are good but Falcons are the toughest tank in the game for them to touch. The Wraith Lord would go down to rending but it would take an LST sqadron to do it.

The bikers wont be on the table to begin wit and Pathfinders/Rangers are a challenge for LST's to dig out of cover. Thier sniper rifles can down LSTs.

That Ravenwing list is just too different from the norm though. Its like an armoured company. No one expects to fight a force like that.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Addoran said:
Rendingwing

Those Falcons are tough yes, but when the Ravenwing player hits them with his enough Rending they ain't gonna be happy. Once the Falcons are down, it should be a breeze, the Eldar lack enough fast fire support to chase all the speeders down.
I thought that this was a good time to clarify:

4 shots, 2 normal hits, 2/3 rending hits
2 normal hits= 1/3 glancing hits
2/3 rending hits= 2/3 glancing hits
1 glancing hit= 1/9 chance of destroyed.

So if every single one of those speeders is still alive and fires, a single falcon will go down. Not spectacularly great at all. Given that the falcon will start behind cover, those two falcons will each down 2 speeders probably on their first turn, with help from wraithlord and any convenient shurikat sorces that happen to be nearby. That means that in all likelyhood, 5 speeders are left alive to fire. Even if they succeed, another 2-3 are going down in the next turn and they're quickly out of the game. Conveniently, the bikes can do nothing this whole time, because they're all pinned/in reserves.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Eldar The falcons will easily kill the speeders as they have could fire up to 9 shots each at the speeders. The bikes won't go anywhere fast as the rangers and pathfinders will stall them all the way

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
eldar

falcons, wraithlord and 2 wave serpents spell alot of pain for those land speeders. then the amount if shots hitting on those bikers 2+...
then the assault of of the scorpions which certainly cant kick som arse.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I fail to see how 2 Falcons is going to take out 9 LSTs just like that...

Each shoots 6 shots, 3 which hit, 2 glance at the most. Let's call it 1 killed LST, because they have a 1/3 chance of blowing up a LST with a glance.

Rangers can't do much at all, maybe kill a squad of bikers.

Wraithlord: Glancing hit, call it 3 downed LSTs from turn 1.

Wave Serpents down a LST together.

Now let's say the 6 LSTs split up their fire to the 2 falcons. 12 shots each from assault cannons, 8 hits, 2 rends, AKA 2 glances, chances are that's a downed Falcon (happening twice, so 2 downed falcons). But could someone please elaborate on what a holofield does?

What else? The DA player could instead turbo-boost the bikes around the Wave serpents, blocking access points, LSTs target them instead, same results as Falcons, that's 2 destroyed Wave Serpents and all the Striking scorpions are killed from the access points being blocked.

Master on Speeder could go by a Farseer, swipe with ravensword, kill a farseer, easy insta kill.

So on the first turn, Ravenwing loses 3 LSTs and a full bike squad, whilst the Eldar player loses all Scorpions and 2 Wave Serpents.

Turn 2, Falcons kill another 2 LSTs, this time they're facing a bunch of melta and plasma weapons, as well as rending, but the LSTs will probably focus on the jetbikes and rangers instead. Call it Ravenwing: looses another bike squad, 2 more LSTs, Eldar: loses a squad of rangers, a Falcon, at least a farseer and retinue at this point.

Turn 3, Eldar downs a LST, Rangers wipe out last bike squadron, maybe another LST at this point from jetbikes. Ravenwing wipes out remaining jetbikes and farseer and the last Falcon.

At this point, Eldar has 3 squads of Rangers and the 3 Alatoic pathfinders plus Wraithlord against Master on Speeder, and 2 Speeders.

I would call it a tie at this point, so I will abstain, mostly because the players have to be "at an equal skill level", but if someone like Chaosbynn (cough or me cough) was using those Ravenwing, the Ravenwing could massacre the Eldar.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I am surprised you dont know what a holofield does.

It means that you have to roll 2 dice if you glance/penetrate and take the lowest, its better than the Venearble skill on a Dreadnought and very significant.

A 1/9 chance of downing a Falcon on 1 glancing hit as opposed to a 1/3 for a normal skimmer.

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
hahahahahahahaha

no.

holofield, for your infomation forces you to roll 2 dice instead of one for the damage result, and take the lowest.

So you're telling me that Land Speeder tornados, brilliant though they are are going to beat falcons in a fight? they both have Holofields and spirit stones. That gives a hugely remote chance of actually destroying them.

say they all shoot - 36 shots, 24 hit, 4 glances, and because they're skimmers you can't penetrate (unless the eldar player is foolish enough to deploy in the open), and with holofields each glancing hit is rolling 2 dice and taking the lowest for each one. Also, it ignores Stunned/shaken on a 4+

Also, all of the rangers get 2D6 armour penetration on vehicles. (including the Aliotic ones, I think, or do they get something extra?) If the former, thats 17 shots, 12 hit, 2 glancing hits, which is one destroyed. (immobilised causes it to crash)

Then there's 6 starcannon shots, which would kill/damage another, then there's a bunch of bright lances, which would damage/destroy even more. If one per unit gets stunned, that means the whole unit can't move, and so they're open to penetrating hits next turn.

Plus the singing spear could do damage, while Mind war could pick off those pesky multi-meltas from hurting the falcons. If the wraithlord gets into combat he's most likely gonna kill anything. 3-4 power fist attacks aren't going to do much. maybe 1 wound a turn, while the Wraithlord is taking 2-3 bikes back.

This, in fairness is where VW falls down, as this battle could depend entirely on each players skill.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
Are we sure that its 1 and 9 chances of a falcon being destroyed? More impotantly, the masters abaility to reroll shooting attacks, would help quiet a bit with the number of hits scored, specally if the falcones dont strike first. Your talkin, 40 assault cannon shots. That will disrupt the falcones for sure. thats at least 4 rends, causing anything from death to shaken, or stunned. Any falcones that fail to move fast, die to the bikes.

A powermove from the bike player, sending his bikes up 24 inches, could be enough to scare the falcons off the skimmers, the bikes still have 2 melta guns, and without the supporting fire of the falcones, basically only 6s will hurt the bikes.. from the ranges. And a couple birght lance shots.

Bikes firing 2 melta shots + lots of bolter shots on the rear armour of a falcon followed by an assault if nessicarary, the chaplains rerolls helping, could bring a falcon down.

Now its either divid firepower or lose. And honestly most eldar players are gonna be scared of that many bikes sitting at there door step. 4 melta shots + 8 powerfist attacks makes wraithlords go splat. While the remaing landspeeder mop up the eldar force.

My vote goes for ravenwing.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I am surprised you dont know what a holofield does.
I've never gone against Eldar with a holofield vehicle. Their heavy support choices are usually filled up with Wraithlords.

I think I'm going to change my vote to Ravenwing.

You make an excellent point, Robizzle, but I'm going to say the Ravenwing player sticks to killing the Wave serpents and Scorpions first. Boom, that's now immedietly 1400 pts of Alatoic Eldar to 1850 of Ravenwing.

Then the bikes move to take care of one of the Falcons on turn 2. With that much mobility, they can easily hit the rear armour, getting at least 8 glancing hits, probably blowing it up, holofield or not. Since the bikes boosted, Rending sniper rifles from rangers aren't going to do anything.

After turn 1, the Land Speeders only need to focus on the rangers. The rangers will lose 2 squads a turn, so by turn 3 they will be wiped out, and by turn 3 or 4, the second falcon will go to the bikes.

Even if the Ravenwing player is down to a bike squad and 3 LSTs plus the master, all he has to do is kill the wraithlord, pathfinders and jetbikes, which will be very easy, since the Eldar wounds on 6's in close combat and only 12 rending shots are needed to kill a wraithlord.

I change my vote to Ravenwing.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ezekiel1990 said:
Each shoots 6 shots, 3 which hit, 2 glance at the most. Let's call it 1 killed LST, because they have a 1/3 chance of blowing up a LST with a glance.
Well they have pulse lasers that get 3 shots at strength 8. No need to list them since thats what they come equipped with.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Eldar

The distruption roles will heavily interfere with the ravenwings plans. The Ravenwing has nothing that will stand up to the charges of the striking scorps.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
bonjordo said:
Eldar

The distruption roles will heavily interfere with the ravenwings plans. The Ravenwing has nothing that will stand up to the charges of the striking scorps.
Except, umm, the Striking scorpions will be dead before they even get out of their transports...
And the bikers can definetly stand up to the striking scorpions, and win.

So if every single one of those speeders is still alive and fires, a single falcon will go down. Not spectacularly great at all. Given that the falcon will start behind cover, those two falcons will each down 2 speeders probably on their first turn, with help from wraithlord and any convenient shurikat sorces that happen to be nearby. That means that in all likelyhood, 5 speeders are left alive to fire. Even if they succeed, another 2-3 are going down in the next turn and they're quickly out of the game. Conveniently, the bikes can do nothing this whole time, because they're all pinned/in reserves.
The Land Speeders need only worry about the rangers. The Bikers will take care of the Wave serpents and Scorpions, and then the Falcons.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I vote Ravenwing.

The disruption rolls wont save the eldar. Their firepower can't kill off all those bikes and the 9 landspeeder tornadoes. The Scorpions are a match for the bikers, and the marines have plenty of mobile firepower. I just see the marines winning this battle.

On a side note, TheWAMP, do you ever not vote for eldar? :rolleyes: :tongue:

·
480 Posts
Ezekiel1990 said:
You make an excellent point, Robizzle, but I'm going to say the Ravenwing player sticks to killing the Wave serpents and Scorpions first. Boom, that's now immedietly 1400 pts of Alatoic Eldar to 1850 of Ravenwing.
You mean, 1400 points of Alaitoc Eldar to 1850-x of Ravenwing, x being what's sitting the first (and potentially, second, third..) round out due to reserve-disruption, as well as pinning? Boom!

Then the bikes move to take care of one of the Falcons on turn 2. With that much mobility, they can easily hit the rear armour, getting at least 8 glancing hits, probably blowing it up, holofield or not. Since the bikes boosted, Rending sniper rifles from rangers aren't going to do anything.
Ah yes, the Eldar battle line will conveniently stop existing for a turn or two so all the bikes can get their handy shots in at the Falcon rear armour. Hooray! They Eldar have phased out! Victory to the Ravenwing!

After turn 1, the Land Speeders only need to focus on the rangers. The rangers will lose 2 squads a turn, so by turn 3 they will be wiped out, and by turn 3 or 4, the second falcon will go to the bikes.
I think every Alaitoc player wishes that the enemy would focus fire on his 57-point disruption rolls... er, I mean, rangers.

Even if the Ravenwing player is down to a bike squad and 3 LSTs plus the master, all he has to do is kill the wraithlord, pathfinders and jetbikes, which will be very easy, since the Eldar wounds on 6's in close combat and only 12 rending shots are needed to kill a wraithlord.
Bolded for emphasis. Eldar on Jetbikes with T5 and 4++ rerollable saves (3++ when turbo boosting) are very easy to kill. Really, like shooting fish in a barrel. But Ravenwing bikes? Ha! They're unstoppable! Cue the chestbeating music, comrade!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.