Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please see this thread on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner. All missions have the Infiltration, Deep Strike, and Victory Points special rules.

Mission Type - Seek and Destroy

Necrons - (6 points)

Headquarters – 300 points
Necron Lord:
Resurrection Orb; Staff of Light

Necron Lord:
Resurrection Orb; Staff of Light; Gaze of flame; Disruption Field

Troops – 1080 points
Necron Warriors Squad – Twenty (20) men
Twenty (20) armed with Gauss Flayers

Heavy Support – 470 points
Monolith:
Gauss Flux Arc; Living Metal

Monolith:
Gauss Flux Arc; Living Metal

Phase Out = 15 models

Strategy:
VS shooting armies, Deep Strike monoliths when possible, advance warriors under res-orb, when monoliths arrive, teleport warriors close, and doubletap/charge depending.

VS CC armies, keep monoliths on board, fire at charging enemy, when they reach CC, teleport warriors out and rapid fire again.

------------------------------------------

45th Graian Heavy Dragoons - (4 points)
Armoured Company

Headquarters – 260 points
Command Tank “Regatta of Violence”
Leman Russ Exterminator: Turret mounted Twin-linked Autocannon; Hull mounted Heavy Bolters; Heavy Bolter Sponsons; Pintle Heavy Stubber; Machine God’s Blessing.

Elites – 290 points
Tank Ace “Burning Spear”
Leman Russ Vanquisher: Turret mounted Vanquisher Cannon; Hull mounted Lascannon; Heavy Bolter sponsons; Machine God’s Blessing.

Troops – 570 points
Leman Russ Battle Tank “Matilda”
Leman Russ: Battle Cannon; Hull mounted Lascannon; Heavy Bolter Sponsons; Machine Gods Blessing

Leman Russ Battle Tank “Sgt. Bash”
Leman Russ: Battle Cannon; Hull mounted Lascannon; Heavy Bolter Sponsons; Machine Gods Blessing

Leman Russ Battle Tank “Hypnodisc”

Fast Attack – 310 points
Hellhound “Napalm”
Hellhound: Turret mounted Inferno Cannon; Hull mounted Heavy Bolter; Extra Armour

Hellhound “Grillornator”
Hellhound: Turret mounted Inferno Cannon; Hull mounted Heavy Bolter; Extra Armour

Sentinel “Flimsy”
Sentinel: Lascannon, Armoured crew compartment

Heavy Support – 420 points
Leman Russ Demolisher “Razor”
Leman Russ Demolisher: Turret mounted Demolisher Cannon; Hull mounted Lascannon; Plasma Cannon sponsons; Machine God’s Blessing

Leman Russ Demolisher “Sir Killalot”
Leman Russ Demolisher: Turret mounted Demolisher Cannon; Hull mounted Lascannon; Plasma Cannon sponsons; Machine God’s Blessing

Notes:
Machine Gods Blessing – Nullifies any armour modifying effects from Bright or Dark lances or blasters, etc.
Leman Russ Vanquisher – 96” range meltagun (basically) at BS4
Leman Russ Exterminator – Spits out 14 shots a turn at BS4.
All Russes AV14 and can cover each others flanks easily using cover to hide on turn 1

Referee's Note -
The rules for Armoured Companies can be found on the UK Games Workshop site, under the Chapter Approved Articles.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
2 Demolishers ought to do the dammage on Monoliths (they are the best IG anti-Monolith unit).

5 Long range Battle cannon can shoot the Warriors to death. If they want to go through the Monolith thats ok, but 20 odd of them within 2" of the door=juicy target.

The AC fast Atttack and HQ can provide an annoyance baging extra necrons.

Armoured Company

·
Registered
830 Posts
The Ordanence will easily kill the crons regardless of their being resilient. Gauss weapons could get glancing hits but i don't see that making the crons win

Armoured Company

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
All that heavy ordnance will massacre those Necrons... WBB doesn't work if everyone's dead, even with a res orb...

Armoured Company

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well its hard to get 3 groups of 20 Warriors with 2 res orbs around to all die at once even with that many battle cannons and if they get to teleport through to double tap a tank that tank will take 6-7 glancing hits which should kill it on average.

Admittedly the Monoliths will probably die 1-2 turns after they appear, but their flux arcs will similarly be messing up the tanks.

And despite what has been said WBB will work quite well since the ressurection orbs will counter the effect of the double strength and there is likely always going to be at least one warrior on the board left alive to enable the roll. If nothing else the Necrons could advance spread out through cover to make sure that some of them survived to come back.

Plus, assuming that the Necron player is smart, the Vanquisher and two Demolishers will be the first targets chosen. If they die before the Monoliths even show up, it could be very bad for the AC player.

I'm going to have to vote Necrons for the mission.

Perhaps that's due in part to playing a very good(and lucky) Necron player who never lets any of my tanks live, but eh.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Grey said:
Well its hard to get 3 groups of 20 Warriors with 2 res orbs around to all die at once even with that many battle cannons and if they get to teleport through to double tap a tank that tank will take 6-7 glancing hits which should kill it on average.
I dunno... all 60 of the necrons are foot slogging and the AC player can protect his demolishers by surrounding it with smaller vehicles. If at least one demolisher is alive by the time the monoliths show up, the necrons are pretty screwed. If 20 of the necrons and a monolith were all traded for a bunch of destroyers, I might change my mind.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah I agree with you that Destroyers would be a better choice here since they could be shooting on turn one.

I'm not saying that this Necron list is unbeatable. I'm just saying that I think it has a slight edge against the AC over the entire game.

All of its units can come back and every loss the AC take is going to hurt.

I think the first two turns or so are going to make it look like a solid win for the AC player, but the Necrons are going to get back up, shoot again, get pie plated, get back up, shoot again ect.

Until the AC player wants to pull his/her hair out.

Every time a tank gets taken out, or even just glanced thats a reduction in the fire needed to eliminate the Necrons.

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
Armoured Company

The Ordinance will kill enough per turn so the Necron player will be rolling enough WWB's to ensure a large portion still die. Monoliths will be nailed by Lascannons and demolisher cannons as soon as they arrive, providing the AC player seems them as a priority, as they could teleport warriors to the flanks of tanks to gauss them.

In short, even with WWB, Necrons can die, and so many will be dying WBB won't do what it needs to.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Ezekiel1990 said:
I dunno... all 60 of the necrons are foot slogging and the AC player can protect his demolishers by surrounding it with smaller vehicles. If at least one demolisher is alive by the time the monoliths show up, the necrons are pretty screwed. If 20 of the necrons and a monolith were all traded for a bunch of destroyers, I might change my mind.
No, they're going through deep striking monoliths.

They would teleport through and destory the demolishers in the same turn that the monoliths appeared, so no problem there.

The thing to keep in mind here is that only about 4 necron warriors would die to the ideal ordinance and most scatter so that the whole thing is off.

I dunno. The thing is, the monolith will probably kill a tank on it's own (random) and the warriors will kill a demolisher, and pretty soon we're looking at only 2-3 ordinance blasts for the ac, which are their ONLY effective method of taking down the necrons.

I vote necrons, since all they have to do is teleport close and do what they do best: survive and kill tanks.

Also remember, that unless the AC kill the monoliths, 3/4 of those who die will be coming back, which is painful for the AC.

fluff-wise, I vote necrons, as the AC list is very uniform which makes no sense for an army of tanks, while the necrons are strongly focused in warriors: a good thing

·
Registered
886 Posts
I see the first turn going in favor of the AC, it will look like a win, then quite a few warriors will get back up then they get to shoot back on the second turn. At this point necron's strenghts will be shown in full efect: the ability to endure, and the fact that every single warrior can hurt anything.

Necron's can afford to spread fire across the AC's lines it only takes 9 shots from a warrior squad to glance a tank, after it's glanced it won't shoot back, perhaps ever. All they got to do is keep glancing tanks and they can minimize losses, slowly the tanks will drop one by one, death by papercuts. Plus the damage that the monolith will deal to the AC wether in extra gauss hits by using the flux arcs and teleporting warriors into rapid fire range (and there is no hth to fear from doing this) or just returning fire with str 9 ap1 ordinance shots of their own. (a hit has a 56% chance of a penetrating hit on AV 14)

So ugly first turn for necrons, but able to pull a definite victory in the end.
The Necrons Endure

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
Maybe I'm misinformed, but I thought Warriors couldn't be brought through the Monolith the same turn it deep strikes?

·
Registered
313 Posts
No, they're going through deep striking monoliths.
Actually, only 1 warrior squad can do that. The codex says that only warriors squads beyond the minimum required (2). So, 3 squads, 1 can be put in reserve. If there were 4 squads, then 2 could be held in reserve.

Maybe I'm misinformed, but I thought Warriors couldn't be brought through the Monolith the same turn it deep strikes?
I believe they can, as long as they come in as the same turn as the monolith (i.e. if your reserves roll gets you a monolith, but not the warriors, the 'lith comes down and warriors have to wait).

·
Registered
656 Posts
i vote necrons

-yes robissle, the lith can teleport warriors on the same turn it deep strikes, this being very important for necrons in this game. terzo, the warriors won't be in reserve, so that doesn't matter.

-both liths would DS, the warriors wouldn't recieve enough fire on the way in to stop them, and when the liths arive, they will be doubletapping entire squads into tanks, pretty much killing a tank per warrior squad per turn, plus what ever the liths do. in this turn they could take out the demolishers, which are the only real threat to the crons, and thus ensure re-rolls from then on.

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Terzo said:
Actually, only 1 warrior squad can do that. The codex says that only warriors squads beyond the minimum required (2). So, 3 squads, 1 can be put in reserve. If there were 4 squads, then 2 could be held in reserve.

I believe they can, as long as they come in as the same turn as the monolith (i.e. if your reserves roll gets you a monolith, but not the warriors, the 'lith comes down and warriors have to wait).
What they're talking about is Deep Striking the Monolith and then teleporting one of the units that are already on the table through the portal. You don't require a unit to be in Reserve to do this, only to have the teleporting unit to be within 18 inches of the Monolith.

And it is allowable to do this on the turn the Monolith Deep Strikes, as movement has no effect on whether a unit may teleport through the portal or not. However, they can not fire the Particle Whip in any turn that they teleport warriors.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Caluin said:
What they're talking about is Deep Striking the Monolith and then teleporting one of the units that are already on the table through the portal. You don't require a unit to be in Reserve to do this, only to have the teleporting unit to be within 18 inches of the Monolith.

And it is allowable to do this on the turn the Monolith Deep Strikes, as movement has no effect on whether a unit may teleport through the portal or not. However, they can not fire the Particle Whip in any turn that they teleport warriors.
4 all and turning out to be one of the most interesting battles/discussions this votewar. That is, it's tied assuming no thrown out votes.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
TheWamp said:
4 all and turning out to be one of the most interesting battles/discussions this votewar. That is, it's tied assuming no thrown out votes.
Good thread, but I honestly think that when (and it is when) the Mono's are taken out, the Necs will reach phase out just down to sheer attrition from the amount of blast templates being thrown in their direction, even with BB rolls the casualties will mount, the fact the Necs are foot slogging just does not help.
If the Necs had some heavier anti armour they would have had a chance but I just cannot see them being lucky enough to get close enough to take out enough of the AC tanks.
If by some miracle the Mono's survive long enough to have an impact maybe just maybe the Necs could scrape a victory, but I think its highly unlikely.

Solid victory to the AC, I use an 2000 pt AC list my self from time to time (when I can get someone to play against it that is and thats hard) and I know how hard they are to beat.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If the Monoliths do not deploy on board then the 2 non-reserve through the monolith squads are going to take at least a couple of turns with no re-roll to WBB and get slaughtered.

AC out ranges the Necrons by so much that even with a turns move, teleport and 12" rapid fire the AC may be out of range, especialy if the Monolith scatters either towards the Necrons taking it +12" away or towards the AC taking it +18" away from the Necrons.

Can Necron Lorsd go through the Monolith at the same time?

Also chances are turn 2, 1 lith turns up, with multiple Demolishers it cant take them both down and will probably take a demolisher shell in return.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Silver Wings said:
If the Monoliths do not deploy on board then the 2 non-reserve through the monolith squads are going to take at least a couple of turns with no re-roll to WBB and get slaughtered.
At least 1 turn, 2 if the AC get first turn, but they'd still be hard enough to kill that the AC might kill 10-15, if they were lucky enough to have LOS. I mean, they aren't going to be running out in the open, they'll be staying behind cover.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Necrons

As said the monolith is going to cause serious problems for the AC if it lives (which I think it will), combined with that many warriors gaussing the tanks at close range I feel that the AC will lose its ordanance punch.

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Silver Wings said:
Can Necron Lorsd go through the Monolith at the same time?
Yes, so long as the Lord is attached to the squad at the time of teleportation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.