Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

40K VWMkIII - Round #1, Battle #10 - Chaos Marines versus Lost and the Damned

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Sabrewulf 
#1 · (Edited)
Please see [url=http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/t57616-40k-votewar-mkiii-info-thread.html]this thread[/URL] on how to participate in these games. I want to stress to everyone that the mission means everything. He who stands the best way to score Victory Points should be the winner. All missions have the Infiltration, Deep Strike, and Victory Points special rules.

Mission Type - Take and Hold

Slaaneshi Battle-Group
Chaos Space Marines

Headquarters – 201 points
Chaos Lord Akuma:
Mark of Slaanesh; Darkblade; Combat Drugs; Daemonic Strength; Daemonic Aura; Doom Siren; Chaos Space Marine Bike; Furious Charge; Frag Grenades

Troops – 595 points
Daemonettes Pack – Six (6) daemons

Chaos Space Marines – Six (6) men
All have Mark of Slaanesh; Infiltrate
Four (4) armed with Bolt Pistol and CCW
One (1) armed with Blastmaster
One (1) Aspiring Champion: Bolt Pistol and Power Weapon

Fast Attack – 501 points
Slaaneshi Bike Squad – Five (5) men
All have Mark of Slaanesh; Frag Grenades; Furious Charge
One (1) with Doom Siren
One (1) Aspiring Champion: Daemonic Strength, Doom Siren, Power Weapon

Undivided Bike Squad - Five (5) Bikes
All have Mark of Chaos Undivided
Two (2) armed with Meltagun
One (1) Aspiring Champion: Power Fist

Heavy Support – 563 points
Chaos Space Marine Havocs – Six (6) men
All have Tank Hunters
Two (2) armed with Bolters
Four (4) armed with Autocannon

Chaos Space Marine Havocs – Six (6) men
All have Tank Hunters
Four (4) armed with Missile Launcher

Chaos Havocs w/ bolter – Seven (7) Men
All have Mark of Chaos Undivided; Infiltrate
Four (4) armed with Plasma Gun
One (1) Aspiring Champion: Bolter

Fluff:
Formerly a servant of Chaos Undivided, Lord Akuma attained daemonhood when he swore allegiance to Slaanesh. Slaanesh rewarded Akuma with a darkblade. The core of Akuma's army followed in his footsteps, but the rest of his servants still trusting their weapons above Akuma's new God. So long as the havocs pave "Prince" Akuma's path, he tolerates their worship of Chaos Undivided.

Tactics:
The whole army exists to get Akuma into close combat, but he does not have to survive to win the battle.

Each undivded unit is tailored for a different enemy.
Missile Launchers: Heavy Armor (AV 12+), Power-armored infantry
Autocannons: Light Armor, Terminators (Statistically more likely to kill these than any other heavy weapon, with 8 Str 6 shots), and 'Nid hordes.
Plasma Guns: Power Armor, Monstrous Creatures
Bike-mounted melta guns: Heavy Armor, dreads

Tthe plasma havocs and the three troop squads deploy close to the enemy, in cover, and let the plasma guns/blastmasters do the initial killing. The bikes turbo-boost, with the melta squad in front, to absorb casualties, while the havocs engage anything that could really hurt the bikes. By turn 2, Akuma should reach close combat and the troops simultaneously charge. The plasma havocs and the melta bikers deal with things Akuma cannot kill, esp. dreads, 'fexes, and heavy armor. With 3 doom sirens and Akuma's 6 str 8 attacks, Akuma's squad faces NO superior threats once in CC. They can take 'stealers and broodlords (yes that is play tested).

The daemonettes have 6 icons to choose from, so they go where trouble is.

----------------------------------
LOST AND THE DAMNED

Headquarters – 203 points
Arch Heretic (Carthas the Skull-taker)
Kai Gun; Power sword

Aspiring Champion Ratbad the Coward (Attached to Mutant Squad)
Powerfist, bolt pistol, daemonic mutation, daemonic visage

Aspiring Champion Sargus the Sly (Attached to Mutant Squad)
Powerfist, bolt pistol, daemonic mutation, daemonic visage

Elites - 482pts
Daemonettes pack – Nine (9) daemons

Flamers of Tzeentch pack – Nine (9) daemons

Obliterator Cult – Two (2) men

Troops – 620 points
Mutants squad – Twenty eight (28) men
Entire squad armed with Frag Grenades.
Twenty three (23) armed with CCW
Two (2) armed with CCW and Icons
Two (2) armed with Flamer
Boss Ganthrash the Fast: Powerfist and CCW

Mutants squad – Twenty eight (28) men
Entire squad armed with Frag Grenades.
Twenty three (23) armed with CCW
Two (2) armed with CCW and Icons
Two (2) armed with Flamer
Boss Rothgar the Strong: Powerfist and CCW

Traitors quad – Five (5) men
Entire unit has Frag Grenades
Two (2) armed with Lasgun
One (1) armed with Lasgun and Icon
One (1) armed with Plasma Gun
Heavy weapons team armed with Missile Launcher

Fast Attack – 265 points
Furies pack – Ten (10) daemons

Hellhound Tank:
Inferno Cannon, Hull mounted Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support – 280 points
Leman Russ Tank:
Battlecannon, Hull Mounted Heavy Bolters; Sponson Heavy Bolters

Basilisk Tank:
Earthshaker Cannon; Indirect Fire; Hull mounted Heavy Bolter

Tactics
Traitors deploy in cover, preferably 18-24 in from oponent and generaly make a nusance of themselves their first priority is slowing down transports after that thinning down opponents troops as best they can.
Mutants move up the board to claim objective/ or engage with enemy troops, moving as a large mass. Mutants are kinda like inexpensive orcs without choppas if you're not familiar with them. . .
The Arch heretic & flamers shoot to thin out enemy numbers.
tanks job is also to thin out enemy numbers, but can assist with tank hunting in a pinch.
The obliterators are used as tank hunters, and will depending on the opponent deep strike in and go for a melta kill, or start on the bord and attack with lascannons.
Daemonettes attack the opponents expensive units, like HQ's, terminators, slow tanks ect.
Furies exist to tie up enemy lines, to keep units out of critical hth's or just block firing lines so that the rest of the army can safely make it to assault.
The key principal is many threats of various types. A close combat army is forced to come to my list and will have to play my game.
A balanced or shooty list will have difficult target priorites to make. Take out CC or shooting. Shooting is a problem now, CC is a big problem if not adressed in the earlier turns.
I consider this to be a balanced list, formidable in close combat, capable in shooting. It is a little slow, but it is not static. It can respond to changes in battlefield situations.

See less See more
#2 ·
I vote lost and damned

-they have slightly better shooting, and better numbers in CC

#3 · (Edited)
I vote LatD
For one, there's enough anti tank to take care of the Leman Russ (I assume the Bassie will be hiding).
Also, there may be a lot of mutants but there's a lot of CSM too, who can get into combat extremely fast...and the bikers will be a pain for the mutatants.
The traitors don't really have any great targets, besides bikes (although they'll most likely be turbo boosting or in cc), so they are kinda useless.
Basically, I think Chaos will swamp LatD in cc, and easily control the center by game's end.

Not like it matters, but......
I have changed my vote. I now feel that those LatD daemons will hurt slaneesh's low numbers, and combine with the powerfisted bosses to serve as a target overload for slaneesh.

#4 ·
I vote CSMs
Those blastmasters can pin the mutants, leaving the autocannons and Frag Missiles to pick then off. The Bikes could then take out what's left.

#5 ·
LordMortis said:
Those blastmasters can pin the mutants
No I don't think so. The champs are running with the mutants, so the squad has a LD 10. They will get into assault, and there are a LOT of wounds between the enemy and the 2 powerfists per squad. The LaTD army also has better shotting, with all those heavies and 2 pie plates. Not to mention there are 3 daemon squads jumping out when the mutants get close enough. Not even CSM's can take that much assault.

I vote for LATD

#6 ·
Hmm some thoughts:

Every point spent on the mark of Slaanesh rather than the MoCU is waisted (with regards to this battle anyway) because they would strike first in inititive anyway. Likewise power weapons are less efficient against the lost.

Those blastmasters would be very lucky to pin leadership 10, possable but not likely to happen.

First turn shooting phase is going to be interesting, Lost are likely to put pressure on assault squads, thinning the numbers. While chaos has a hard descision inefficiently thinning the mutant squads and letting the tanks live in hope to win in CC, or take the tanks out effeciently and run a greater risk of being swamped in CC.

Remember this is a Take and Hold Mission: Both armies are going to clash together in close combat at the objective. That is where I see the battle decided. There are 75 cc modles vs 35. Sure the marines fight better per model, but not THAT much better. Marnies are going to be swamped and slaughterd by 10 powerfist attacks a turn, not to mention masses on normal attacks, and taking a few wounds from being outnumbered about 28-6 ish umm about 4-1. There is no way those 18 marines and 6 daemonettes & 11 bikes (should they by some mirical all make it see above paragraph. )are going to be able to hold it against 54 mutants, 9 daaemonettes & 10 furies. Also should the objective be, or is in cover this gives advantage to Lost as they have the gernaides to go at the same time should the marines get there first, and if the lost get there first they can strike first for even more danger for Chaos as the marines lack said gernades; not a big deal but something that also tilts the combat in favor of the lost. So. . .

Clear win for Lost and the Damned!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lost and the Damned

The Traitor Guard have two battle tanks which can mop up the small squads of Marines. The only serious threat to the Leman Russ' front armour are the Missiles (which is a small chance), and the Meltaguns on the Bike Squadrons. If he sets his vehicles up well, and keeps his Mutants in front of them, it'll just be a matter of turns before the Leman Russ batters those squads of Marines into victory. Add that to a Basilisk and the Traitor firepower and you can eliminate quite a few Marines quickly. The Slaanesh are forced to concentrate on the Mutants, because they are large and in the way, and the Mutants have the numbers and Toughness to handle it.

In summary: Smart Ordnance use (hit the Havocs/Bikes first) will cause the Slaanesh to crumble.

#8 ·
Originally posted by numberofthebeastxxx
No I don't think so. The champs are running with the mutants, so the squad has a LD 10. They will get into assault, and there are a LOT of wounds between the enemy and the 2 powerfists per squad. The LaTD army also has better shotting, with all those heavies and 2 pie plates. Not to mention there are 3 daemon squads jumping out when the mutants get close enough. Not even CSM's can take that much assault.
You are right. However, I think that the blastmaster's second option would still take out a fare number at a time.

#9 ·
LordMortis said:
You are right. However, I think that the blastmaster's second option would still take out a fare number at a time.
It won't make enough of a difference. If every blastmaster shot killed a mutant, wich the wont, (actual rate is ~44%) There is still only about 2 turns that even is going to make a diffence. In those two potential turns they cannot reduce the mutant squads to below half strength. Anything less is not going to make much of an impact on their CC ability. Mutants are designed for most of them not to make it because of shooting, A few heavy weapons are not going to win it for the Marines.

Look at the shooting phase:
4 Missile launchers
4 Autocannons
4 Plasma Guns
3 Blastmasters on the movement mode

vs

1 Battlecannon
1 Earthshaker cannon
1 Inferno cannon
1 Heavy bolter (4 more not likely to fire)
3 missile launchers
3 plasma guns
9 heavy bolter equivilants (flamers)

Any casualties caused by Chaos Marine shooting is going to be aswered by at least equal losses caused by the Lost's shooting. Those blastmasters are just a drop in the bucket.

#12 · (Edited)
I vote LaTD for the mission since they have many more bodies to cram into the objective with a decent LD while firepower is on their side to whittle down the CSMs numbers. Who's actually better in HtH? Probably the CSMs, but it won't matter because I doubt they can kill enough mutants to chase them off the objective after getting shot up on the way in.

Interesting to me is that there is actually more daemons in the LaTD list than the CSMs.

#13 · (Edited)
The Chaos player will beat the mutants in CC.

1) If the Chaos player turbo-boosts all of his bikes on the first turn, he will get at least 1 vehicle, and he will get his Lord+Slaanesh bike squad into close combat.

The Lord+Retinue will own 28 mutants. 3 doom sirens = Mutants will die in droves, before anyone even gets a close combat attack. The LaTD player would have to get a perfect pie plate hit 1st turn to prevent that from happening.

2) The chaos player can put all of his troop squads into CC by 2nd turn with infiltrate. He doesn't have to wait for the LaTD player to try for the objective, he can just infil close and charge in everything.

Unless the chaos player is stupid, and charges a single 6-man squad into a 28-man squad of mutants, he will kill the mutant squads in CC. 18 Slaaneshi marines are more than enough to take down 28 mutants.

3) If the LaTD player wants to drop ordnance shots into his traitor/mutant squads, he might kill those Slaaneshi marines, but otherwise, CC will protect chaos from shooting.

EDIT VOTE WITHELD

Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.