Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been out of the game for a while due to school and work and now that i have some free time (and cash) I will be finishing my army of Steel Legion Imperial Guard. After Reading up on several books about the Afrika Korps and Rommel ive decided to and theme an army after that as best i can. I dont have the points just yet for this idea but i will post them later, feel free to critique and let me know how you think this list will do. Thanks:

HQ:
-CC w/ Plasma Pistol
-x4 Veterans w/ Medic, x3 Plasma
-Master of the Fleet (lots of deamon/space marine drop armies where i play)
-Tank Ace Pask

Troops:
-X10 Veterans w/ x2 Melta, 1 Flamer
-Chimera w/ Multi Laser, Hull Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack:
-Scout Sentinel Squadron (x3) w/ Autocannons

Heavy Support:
-Squadron #1 (x2 Leman Russes, x1 Punisher w/ Pask)
-Squadron #2 (x2 Leman Russes, x1 Vanquisher
-Squadron #3 (x2 Leman Russes, x1 Vanquisher

The idea with this list is to use my veterans to take objectives, moww down infantry, be tar pits ect. The Sentinels will use outflank hopefully catching my enemy off guard and take out heavy infantry/ light vehicles with their autocannons. And my Heavy support choices i feel are balanced out enough where ill be able to take on anything with any squadron of tanks. Tell me what you think. (AGAIN I WILL PUT THE POINTS IN LATER!)

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
Medics aren't that useful, it's easy to hit a CCS with S6+. Just buy another Plasma.

Never mix guns, go all Melta in the Veterans, or 2 with Melta and 2 with Flamer.

With that many Sentinels you'll really want an Astropath to make sure they sure up on time and where you need them.

Vanquishers are terrible, never run them. Demolishers bust armor way way better and are more useful overall. Seriously, no Vanquishers.

Pask Punisher is VERY costly and with how big time armor is, not always useful. I'd caution you about it, you can lose a lot of points in one go.

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: they need a chimera. Drop the plasma pistol

Troops: With the all the hull heavy flamers just give the squads meltaguns.

Fast: OK. 9 may be a bit much but it depends on how you are for points.

Heavy: fine. Taking basic russ is generally a good idea. removing sponsons keeps the cost down and makes them less of a target.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The Prince of Excess had some very good points.

Personally I think you've got way too many Russes. The truth is, they're not really that useful beyond a certain point. I take 1 Russ/Demolisher at 1K, 2 at 1500, 3 up to 2K, and 4 all the way up to 2500. The squadon rules also make them very vulnerable to large numbers of meltas (i.e. Eldar Fire Dragons) and any Ork/Carnifex with a power klaw and a decent number of attacks.

There's lots of other Heavy Support options that could give you an "Afrika Corps" feel. Like Medusas and Hydras. Or the Manticore for that 50's/60's soviet block feel.

On the Fast Attack front I love Sentinels, but large numbers of them are best used with Infantry Gun Lines. So I'd drop one or two of those squadrons for Hellhounds, which just murder Orks/Nids/IG/Tau and are even quite effective against marines.

The real star performers of this list are going to be the Melta Vets in Chimeras. So take some more. Marbo or a Psyker Squad wouldn't be a bad choice either for the elites section.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good input and thanks for the help guys, i will be getting my new Imperial Guard Codex tomorrow so i can add up the points and find out how large my army is going to be point wise. Ive added and taken away some things from my list so tell me what you think:

HQ:
-CC
-x4 Veterans w/ x4 Grenade Launchers
-Astropath
-Carapace Armor
-x2 Hvy Weapon Teams w/ x3 Missile Launchers

Troops:
-X10 Veterans w/ x3 Melta, Grenadiers

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:

-Squadron #1 (x2 Leman Russ w/ Hull Hvy Flamer)
-Squadron #2 (x2 Leman Russ w/ Hull Hvy Flamer)
-Squadron #3 (x2 Medusa w/ Hull Hvy Bolter)

A little bit different i dropped and added some things to try and make this list more balanced (and as close to 2,000 points as possible, sorry again but i will be getting the codex tomorrow). What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Better, but...

Your CCS is illegal. Maybe you're thinking of 4th ed guard command platoons, but the CCS is a single squad that can only take one heavy weapon and 2 special weapons, or 4 special weapons. That's it.

You're also spending 140 pts on carapace armor which, I don't think is needed if your guys are already in a Chimera. That's enough for a Hellhound!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for letting me know, i did make this without my codex (first copy got stolen) so i couldnt really remember how to do it. In that case i probably would scrape those missile launcher teams which would free up quite a few of points. And i know the carapace armor may be over doing it but the only reason i have given it to all my guys is that well plainly it has saved my bacon more then once in the past so id like to keep it. Do you feel that i have enough anti-tank capability without getting to close to the enemy?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i think you do if you give your vets just meltas and your russes into demolishers. does your fluff include vendettas anywhere? they would help abit ^^.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
HQ:
-CC
-Astropath
*185 Points

Troops:
-X10 Veterans w/ x3 Melta

*620 Points

Fast Attack:
-Devil Dog w/ Hull Mounted Multi Melta
-Devil Dog w/ Hull Mounted Multi Melta
*270 Points

Heavy Support:
-Squadron #3 (x2 Medusa w/ Hull Hvy Bolter), Bastion Breacher Shells
*880 Points

This list as it is right now is 1955, what would you guys recommend that i do with the remaining 45 points? I was thinking about adding Stubbers to the Chimeras but idk if that would be smart. thanks for the input again guys i appreciate it.

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: Getting a bit pricy with the advisors. What is the astropath for? Nothing in your list outflanks anymore so you can drop him.

Troops: All good. Equip one squad with 3 plasmas and a ML and put the HB back on their chimera hull. (will explain later)

Fast: Fine but I do like vendettas.

Heavy: Put HB on your leman russ who will fire them every turn. Put HF on your medusas which cannot fire the hull HB if you fire the main gun. Give your medusas cammo netting and position them behind 2 static chimeras (the CCS and the plasma gun vets). Now your medusas can fire over the hull of the chimeras but half their hull is covered by a chimera so the puny AV12 open topped tanks get a 3+ cover save.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
HQ: Getting a bit pricy with the advisors. What is the astropath for? Nothing in your list outflanks anymore so you can drop him.
Regular reserves still use him. And reserves, properly used, are a huge part of this game.

Troops: All good. Equip one squad with 3 plasmas and a ML and put the HB back on their chimera hull. (will explain later)
Huh?

You want to spend 125 points (not including the squads inside the Chimeras) to protect 2 S10 template shots? That's almost enough for another Medusa! Why not just take 2 Demolishers or 2 Vanquishers for fewer points?

AND... Why give up the ability to charge your Chimeltas into mid-field where they can do the most damage? Just buy a platoon with Autocannons and Grenade Launchers instead and wrap them around the artillery.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
squadroning tanks is not a good idea, they become even more vulnerable to anti-tank weapons. i wouldn't advise to squadron until your playing 2500 points or above.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys and believe me this really does help. I know i have been told that taking squadrons of tanks in 2000 points or less isnt to smart i just am doing that mainly to supplement my fluff of an African Korps German Army and to take out as many bad guys as possible. Also Bringing reserves in is very important in my army so i can get firepower on the table quick and there is no way im getting rid of the Master Of the Fleet, there are now a grand total of 4 drop pod Space Marine armies, 3 drop pod Space Wolf armies and 3 Deamons of Chaos armies where i play...its a nightmare. I do have 45 points left however and i was thinking about getting Camo Netting for my Medusas to help them survive longer. which means i would have 15 points left to spend. This smart?

·
4,967 Posts
Just buy a platoon with Autocannons and Grenade Launchers instead and wrap them around the artillery.
a platoon of infantry wont grant medusas a cover save. Tanks need 50% of their facing hull to be covered to get the save and infantry models are just not large enough.

Overall GMAleron I think its a great list. If you want true Afrika korps get some of the forgeworld earthshaker artillery pieces. They look like German 88s. Also check out 28mm WWII manufacturers, some such as Westwind make seperate heads and it would look great to equip cadian heads with afrika korp caps.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright everyone here is my final list that i have decided to go with. I have moved some things around/traded up for some things to get what i think is a pretty good list. I dropped the Devil Dogs for 6 Lascannon totting Sentinels because i figure i could get twice as many shots and have a better chance of lasting longer in a fight (figured the devil dogs would be targetted and destroyed right away because of their meltas). I also added enclosed compartment to my Medusas and threw in a plasma pistol to my CC to give me a 1995 army list, final thoughts?

HQ:
-CC w/ Plasma Pistol
-Astropath
*185 Points

Troops:

*620 Points

Fast Attack:
-x3 Scout Sentinels w/ Lascannons
-x3 Scout Sentinels w/ Lascannons
*300 Points

Heavy Support:
-Squadron #3 (x2 Medusa w/ Hull Hvy Bolter), Bastion Breacher Shells
*880 Points

·
Registered
326 Posts
Here's an idea for your spare 45 points:

Take one of the triple melta vets and change them to triple flamer along with taking the demolitions doctrine. You'll have a nice 'up close and personal' unit that can threaten light or heavy infantry alike. In a pinch you can still charge vehicles with meltabombs. Also breaks up the 'cookie cutter' feel your troops have. Try em out, its another fun but deadly fit out. :soldier:

·
3,560 Posts
I mean to be honest there's tons of wasted points in that list. It's themed though, so I don't know how much you care about a 100% stream lined list. Lascannon Sentinels are quite bad, especially squadded.

Squadding Russes just never works out, I've seen it in person and played against it.

Squadding AV12 Open-Topped tanks who need LoS to shoot and making them fire at one target, with purely anti-tank cannons, is a terrible waste of points and will probably see them having many sub-par games. Your Troops are pretty standard, same with the HQ. I wouldn't mix Grenades with a Plasma Pistol myself, freeing up points to get them Plasma would be quite a bit better.

Just to many points in tanks and various things to be a strong list imho. Sorry to talk the army down so much.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not at all its why ive put it on here to get opinions/advice on things since im just getting back into the game. What would you suggest? I am open to all ideas or thoughts its why im on here.

·
3,560 Posts
Pretty much everything I said. I'd unsquad all the Heavies, give the CCS 4 Plasma, switch the Sentinels 2 3 squads of 2 with Autocannons, maybe 2 squads. Dump all the extra points into Troops. It wouldn't break your theme by any means and it would be a way more stable army.

You could run a Platoon or just more Mech Vets, your choice. I'd probably toss a Platoon in, you have little long ranged firepower from Turn 1, so upping that would be a boon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.