Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting WHFB, after playing WH40k for some time now. I recently picked up the latest White Dwarf and immediately fell in love with the new Dwarfs (although, I'll admit I do that with almost every new army). But seeing as how many people play Fantasy around here, and there seem to be less and less 40k players, I figured I'd start some Fantasy.

My list is basically an attempt to get a feel for the Dwarfs, and is pretty much in the trial and error stage, so here it is.

Thane – 124
Great Weapon, Rune of Shielding, Rune of Fury, Rune of Stone

Warriors – 150
Shields, Hand Weapons, Heavy Armor, Musician, Standard

Thunders – 225
Shields, Light Armor, Hand Weapons, Dwarf Handguns

Total - 499.

Depending on which unit I like more, I'll either make a Highlander army (CC oriented) or a Pirate-themed army (Shooty and CC). Comments for better set-ups for my Thane, or general comments about my army are greatly welcomed.

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
11 Views and no comments.

Does that mean that I have a good set up here? Or that 500 point games are so limited that there isn't much else I can do:yes:

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
just a note: it would probably help a little if you possibly post the unit numbers in the future, i had to do a bit of math to figure out how many dwarves you had per unit.

Thane – 124
Great Weapon, Rune of Shielding, Rune of Fury, Rune of Stone

ok this is a mistake people make a lot of the time. a great weapon will revert to being a hand weapon once you have attached a rune to it. so instead of the +2S and +1 attack you were looking for you’d only get +1 attack. the way around this is to take the master rune of kragg the grim. for twenty points it lets you attach runes to a great weapon and keep the +2S always strikes last. the rune of shielding will only help you if he is running about on his own (which i don’t recommend) id drop it and make use of the "look out sir" roll by sticking him in a unit.

Warriors – 150
Shields, Hand Weapons, Heavy Armour, Musician, Standard
you might want to re-do your math here as im guessing you have 14 dwarves here with a standard and musician which normally totals 146 points not 150. as for the unit 14 is not a very nice number even if you are adding the thane to them this gives you a 5/3 formation (5 across 3 deep) what id do is add an extra warrior and upgrade one of them to a unit champion so you can get a 4/4 formation (4 wide and 4 deep) which gets you a better combat resolution and the same attack number.
Thunders – 225
Shields, Light Armour, Hand Weapons, Dwarf Handguns
15 as a unit number tends not to achieve much with shooting units. it forces a rather wide line if you want all your guys to shoot and negates 2 rank shooting from a hill (you end up with a rather funky 8 in the first rank 7 in the second rank thing) id lower them to 12 and use the points to maybe bring the warriors to 16/19 strong.

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The units are both fifteen strong 9x15 = 135+15 = 150 (my math may be wrong). I was thinking about it's weird formation, so I probably will change those. If I drop the Thunderers to 12, I believe that makes them 183 points.

Starting over on the Thane.
Rune of Kragg the Grim
Rune of Striking
Rune of Cleaving

That puts him to 119 with a Great Weapon. That puts me to 302 total, so I have 198 for my Warriors. I can get 20 Warriors in at 195 with Standard and Musician. I could drop it to 19 and get a Veteran though. However, I would have an odd number. Another option is to give them Great Weapons and have 16, with Standard and Musician. I'll be fighting Wood Elves and Empire the most, with some Lizardmen, Brettonians, and other Dwarfs as a possibility. I know against Wood Elves, I'll stike last anyway, and I think I do against Empire (I don't know these lists, but the Wood Elf said he'll only be using Elves, and the Empire player has 3000 points of stuff to choose from)

What do you guys think about that?

·
Registered
404 Posts
In a 500 pts army you actually dont need a thane. Take him out and use the points to get another unit of warriors. You can also decrease the number of thunders to 10. That way you can make one of your champions the general and have 2 warrior units and a thunder unit.

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
King Alriks Bodyguard said:
In a 500 pts army you actually dont need a thane. Take him out and use the points to get another unit of warriors. You can also decrease the number of thunders to 10. That way you can make one of your champions the general and have 2 warrior units and a thunder unit.
You are required to take 1 Hero.:yes:
Page 48 of the Dwarf Army Book "Army Point Value - Less than 2,000. Max Characters - 3. Max Lords - 0. Max Heros - 3."

Plus, this is Border Patrol. Armies must take 1 Hero that costs less than 125 points.

One thing that is concerning me is the Empire Player's large amount of Handgunners. I saw him playing a 2000 point game against Lizardmen today, and I'd guess 50% of that army was Handgunners (He likes shooting). With the Dwarves limited movement, what would be the best way to counter his shooting. I doubt my own shooting will outdo his.

And I think I made a mistake with the points for my Great Weapon Warriors. I included the cost of the shield in there, and if I take a Great Weapon, I cannot take a shield can I?

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that both are 24" range (I don't have the Rule Book right now). I also like the +1 to hit for the Handguns for only 3 points more.

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
I cant remember but Handgunners only get there +1 to hit when in short range.
nope thunderers get a +1 to hit at all ranges thanks to the new rules but at the loss of move and fire.

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Arklite said:
nope thunderers get a +1 to hit at all ranges thanks to the new rules but at the loss of move and fire.
The loss of Move-and-Fire doesn't effect me too much. With the awesome movement of Dwarves, I planned on just sitting and waiting, especially against some of the faster armies I'll be facing (Skaven, Ogres, Wood Elves).

[EDIT] Alright....completely new list (sort of). This one fits the theme better.

Thane Ghaal - 125
Hand Weapon, Gromril Armor, Pistol, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fury, Rune of Striking, Rune of Stone.
Basically, I wanted to have more attacks, since he already has an impressive Str (6). He'll most likely be in the middle of my Warriors to add in a lot of CC power

Dwarf Warriors - 159
16 Shields, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor, Veteran, Musician
I don't see the point of throwing in a Standard for such a small point game. This unit, along with Thane Ghaal, will be the heart of the 'Boarding Party'.

Thunderers – 183
12 Dwarf Handguns, Light Armor, Hand Weapons, Veteran, Musician. Veteran has 2 Pistols.
What's a good boarding party without some Fire Power to clear the decks? I figure these will be in 2 ranks of 6

This leaves me with 33 points left over. I can add in 2 Thunderers and have 5 points left, or 3 Warriors and have 6 left over. I think the Warriors option is the best, but what can I do with 7 points?

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
well it would normally BUT you can not gain an extra attack from the pistol because you have a magic weapon equiped, sorry mate.

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Arklite said:
well it would normally BUT you can not gain an extra attack from the pistol because you have a magic weapon equiped, sorry mate.
No problem. 4 Attacks is still good.:yes:

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lost Nemesis said:
Our Border Patrols are.... oddly identical. :wacko:

I just have a few more models than you.. otherwise, same general strategy. Noble/Thane with Corsairs/Warriors, with covering fire from Crossbowmen/Thunderers.

Should prove to be an interesting battle. :yes:
Not much you can do with 500 points:(
We could always Ally as Piratical Bretheren against AJ's Empire as well:shifty:

Hmm...Dwarven Stout verses (Dark) Elvish speed. I think you outrange me though...then again, I out armor you. Mmmm...

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
your latest list looks good, nice and rounded and capable of taking on anyone else in 500 pts :)

bearing in mind i havent read the new army book yet, and actually havent fielded dwarves in Border Patrol to date, i always imagined that rangers would be a good choice at this points level, equipped with crossbows or throwing axes they could do both the jobs of warriors AND quarrelers? is this not the case?

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought about using them, but I'm not exactly sure how to get the unit.
It says "One unit of Warriors, Quarrellers, or Longbeards that are armed with a Great Weapon may be....for +1 point".

But if I make the Warriors into them, do they have Crossbows since I didn't pay for them?:wacko: Plus, I didn't really have the points.:sleep:

·
Bearded Ninja
2,678 Posts
the unit basically becomes scouts. they gain no extra equipment from that 1 point upgrade but in order to be given that upgrade they MUST be equipped with great weapons.

for example:

10 warriors
great weapons
scouts
110 points

they do however gain access to throwing axe's if it is a warrior/long beard unit that you have upgraded to rangers.

·
With Oden On Our Side...
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.