Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, all. Just some mindless brainstorming here... and yes, yet another army. ;) However, instead of an 1850-er, I'm keeping it to a 500 point Combat Patrol army list and a 1000 point list, so, if I ever decide to start this army up, I'll be able to get it reasonably quickly. Fluff is the blue text.

Doctrines

Light Infantry
The Shadowcats are renowned for their stealth capabilities - they prefer to get up close to the enemy and strike at their heart in the dead of night.
Sharpshooters
The Shadowcats are trained not to miss - every missed shot will give away their position in the dead of night.
Cameleoline
Cameleoline uniforms and cloaks, as well as ghillie suits, are used by many of the Shadowcats to improve their stealth capabilities in the dark.
Close Order Drill
The Shadowcats are trained to watch eachother's backs - even in the dark. They tend to stick close together to utilise this special training to the best effect.
Iron Discipline
The officers of the Shadowcats have to be steady and inspire confidence in their troops, for anything can be out there in the dark.

[500] Combat Patrol

Troops

Shadowcats Platoon I
[1] Junior Officer
+Iron Discipline
+Surveyor
[4] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun (x2)
+Missile Launcher
=112 points
Officers of the Shadowcats always come prepared with Surveyors to ensure that they do not set up position near an enemy unit and therefore compromise their position.

[1] Veteran Sergeant
+Surveyor
[9] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun
+Missile Launcher
=123 points

[1] Veteran Sergeant
+Surveyor
[9] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun
+Missile Launcher
=123 points

Elites

[1] Veteran Sergeant
+Surveyor
[9] Hardened Veterans
+Cameleoline
+Missile Launcher
+Plasma Gun (x3)
=142 points

Total Points: 500
Total Models: 35
Total Plasma/Missile Ratio: 7/4

1000 point list coming soon!

edit: Here's the 1000 pointer:

HQ

[1] Junior Officer
+Iron Discipline
+Surveyor
+Macharian Cross
[4] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun (x2)
+Missile Launcher
=132 points
The Shadowcats have to maintain a low profile, and so are trained to operate independently. Vox casters are rarely used, and a central leadership is not necessary.

Troops

Shadowcats Platoon I
[1] Junior Officer
+Iron Discipline
+Surveyor
[4] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun (x2)
+Missile Launcher
=112 points

[1] Veteran Sergeant
+Surveyor
[9] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun
+Missile Launcher
=123 points

[1] Veteran Sergeant
+Surveyor
[9] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun
+Missile Launcher
=123 points

Shadowcats Platoon II
[1] Junior Officer
+Iron Discipline
+Surveyor
[4] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun (x2)
+Missile Launcher
=112 points

[1] Veteran Sergeant
+Surveyor
[9] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun
+Missile Launcher
=123 points

[1] Veteran Sergeant
+Surveyor
[9] Guardsmen
+Sharpshooters
+Light Infantry
+Cameleoline
+Plasma Gun
+Missile Launcher
=123 points

Elites

[1] Veteran Sergeant
+Surveyor
[9] Hardened Veterans
+Cameleoline
+Missile Launcher
+Plasma Gun (x3)
=142 points

Total Points: 990
Total Models: 65
Total Plasma/Missile Ratio: 13/8

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
I really like them man, though it might be nice if in the 1k list wasn't so repetitive.

A sentinel or 3 might be a nice addition, and change of pace, if you swapped some missile launchers for heavy bolters, and some plasma guns for grenade launchers you could possibly scrape the points...

But that is merely a superficial thing I have for symmetrical lists, so probably isn't a big thing.

-t.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
minus_t said:
I really like them man, though it might be nice if in the 1k list wasn't so repetitive.

A sentinel or 3 might be a nice addition, and change of pace, if you swapped some missile launchers for heavy bolters, and some plasma guns for grenade launchers you could possibly scrape the points...

But that is merely a superficial thing I have for symmetrical lists, so probably isn't a big thing.

-t.
Well, Sentinels, IMO, are unfluffy for this list - as are all vehicles, in every shape or form. They are meant to sneak up to the enemy and spring out with a lot of high-strength firepower. Since it's just a 1000 pointer, the Plasma and Missile Launchers are good - in higher-point games, Autocannons and Heavy Bolters will most likely be added, but they prefer the Plasma/Missile combo because of how hard it hits.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
I, personally, disagree about Sentinels being unfluffy, they are scout vehicles, specifically designed to be advancing ahead of a 'main' IG army, whereas in your regiment (I think) they would be seen as a more versatile, faster and less men-intensive fire platforms, using the more advanced targetting systems to deliver lascannon fire where it is most needed, and reacting to enemy armour movements with a speed and ferocity unattainable with an infantry platoon...
I would agree with you were it any other vehicle.

Of course, it isn't my regiment, so what I think doesn't really matter, but I'm just putting forward a suggestion.
:yes:

-t.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
minus_t said:
I, personally, disagree about Sentinels being unfluffy, they are scout vehicles, specifically designed to be advancing ahead of a 'main' IG army, whereas in your regiment (I think) they would be seen as a more versatile, faster and less men-intensive fire platforms, using the more advanced targetting systems to deliver lascannon fire where it is most needed, and reacting to enemy armour movements with a speed and ferocity unattainable with an infantry platoon...
I would agree with you were it any other vehicle.

Of course, it isn't my regiment, so what I think doesn't really matter, but I'm just putting forward a suggestion.
:yes:

-t.
Well, it's not the scouting type deal - it's the noise. You remember those walker thingies in Star Wars, and the amount of noise they made? Even if an IG Sentinel made half that amount of noise (unlikely), it would be considered unfluffy for this list - these guys literally sneak in at the dead of night, and only reveal their position when they start shooting.

That's why I said it would be unfluffy. ;) If it were a standard scout-like army, of course I'd have Sentinels... probably a unit of Rough Riders, too.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
L.N. - Good effective list!;)

My only small point is: I would drop one Plasma Gun Somewhere to put a Lascannon in the Vet Squad. A BS4 Lascannon is Cherry in a Guard List! For the odd tank or MC a Lascannon can be a lot better than a ML. I could also do without Sharpshooters, but that is me.

I really like your stealthy Fluff:ninja: . This list will do very nice on a large board, and would drive your opponent nuts on set up!

Reactions: Lost Nemesis

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the comments, Diggums. ^_^

I'm trying to keep a unifying theme with the Missiles/Plasmas, to be honest. It's like in the back of the IG codex.. "favoured special/heavy weapon".. their's just happen to be missiles and plasmas.

I do see where you're coming from, 100%, but I'm a fan of.. well, symmetry. Sort of. So I like to keep the weapons similar - besides, a Lascannon, while more effective, isn't so much more effective that it would hurt the list, if that makes sense.

^_^ Thanks again.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I used to play a list very similar to yours. It did quite well in actual play, but did way better in Cleanse games than any other. I wasn't as "symetrical" as you, but you picked the right HW to be "symetrical" with it.

Cheers!

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diggums Hammer said:
I used to play a list very similar to yours. It did quite well in actual play, but did way better in Cleanse games than any other. I wasn't as "symetrical" as you, but you picked the right HW to be "symetrical" with it.

Cheers!
I'm not planning on really starting this army for quite some time, but I already have a fair idea on how to convert them easily without using much GS...

The answer?

Wood Elves Glade Guard.

The torsos include cloaks... and that's it. No arms attached. No legs attached.

So, I can grab a box of them, a box of Cadian Shock Troopers, and mix and match, and then fill in with GS as I see fit.

They'd have a darker colour scheme, probably with semi-camo patterns, so some of the details and stuff that I don't get rid of/change, will be hid pretty well.

I need to try it sometime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts