Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Librarium!

I am planning on starting a 500 point Eldar army and this is what I had planned:

Farseer
- Singing Spear
- Guide

10 Dire Avengers
- Exarch with 2 shuriken catapults and Bladestorm

10 Dire avengers
- Exarch with power weapon and shimmershield and Defend

2 War Walkers
- Scatter Laser and Shuriken Catapult

Basic strategy being the Farseer joins the shooty Dire Avengers (giving them the Guide) as the ranged infantry with the other Dire Avengers for assault with teh War Walkers sitting back and gunning down anything in their sights...

Thoughts? :D

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
I believe that at 500 points the normal Force Organization chart is rendered moot, and is just a chance to fight skirmishes (which take considerably less time to set up and play).

Why does one of your DA squads have Defend? It's fairly pointless. "Ooh, I'm a slightly more survivable shooty unit in close combat. Instead of gunning those enemies down before with the extra shots. Yay."

I would personally drop the War Walkers for a Wraithlord (keep it near your Farseer) with 'Lances, EMLs, or one of each. Obviously, give it two flamers. The shuricats are pretty ineffective and the flamers do not twin-llink. There are just two templates. I don't know how heavy the armor you are facing will be, but you do probably want an anti-armor unit besides your farseer.

You don't need to add a Farseer to a squad to Guide said squad. You can, but you don't have to. It does give meatshields from ranged fire, though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha forgot to mention a few details... a couple of buddies of mine and I might be doing a little "buy 500 points of an army you don't play, paint them, then play them" and I think i'll be facing IG and 'Nilla Marines.

I like the Wraithlord idea quite a bit... i'd probably go EML and maybe Scatter Laser based on the fact that these friends i'd be doing this with are more rookie than I am and they probably wouldn't attempt any armor for the lance

If i keep the 2 Dire avenger squads... should I dump the power weapon/Defend for the config i have on the other squad?

Thanks for the advice btw

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would definitely dump the PW/Defend. For DAs the best way to run them is with Exarch with 2 DA Shuriken Catapults and Bladestorm. Having doom on your Farseer would be good in that instance as DAs shoot great, but only at Str 4. However, even T6-7 models can be put down by them in a turn if they are Doomed first.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
I would definitely dump the PW/Defend. For DAs the best way to run them is with Exarch with 2 DA Shuriken Catapults and Bladestorm. Having doom on your Farseer would be good in that instance as DAs shoot great, but only at Str 4. However, even T6-7 models can be put down by them in a turn if they are Doomed first.
First of all, listen to darquewing. He's been playing Eldar far longer than I (or builds/paints at an unholy rate).

Second of all, even in 500 points it's still very probable to see armor fielded by Imperial forces (such as Imperial Guard or Space Marines). I would advise taking at least one Brightlance somewhere in your army.

There are two ways that I would advise doing this; your Wraithlord or buying a Wave Serpent for one of your DA squads. (You could go all out for some Vipers or a Fire Prism, but those may not fit nicely in your list.) If you put the Brightlance on the Wave Serpent, you get a TL Brightlance, a Wave Serpent (normal, decent armor plus Energy Field, and a fair ram in a pinch), and you get to keep your anti-infantry specced Wraithlord. If you equip your Wraithlord with a single Brightlance, I would suggest taking a second one or an EML (unless you expect to see a lot of Chimeras/Rhinos in which case the Shuricannon may yield better results. I need to mathammer all of those anti-armor choices, TBH).

Edit: 40kfanatic, I noticed that you just joined LO and this is your first posts and thread. Welcome! We hope that you enjoy the forums.

·
Registered
350 Posts
One thing I just thought of.

Since it is only 500 points, will you be on 4' x 4' tables?

If so, I'd say go with two Wraithlords over a Serpent for your AT. The mobility of the Wraithlords won't be as big an issue.

If it is a full size table you are playing on, then a Serpent might be a better option.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rafis: thanks for the welcome!

I will most likely be playing on a 4' X 4' table (have to go to Hobbytown USA to play because I don't have a gaming table at home... yet ;P that and Boise, ID doesn't have a GW store...)

Based upon your advice here's what im thinking:

Farseer - 83
- Singing Spear
- Doom

10 Dire Avengers - 152
- Exarch with 2 Shuricats and Bladestorm

10 Dire Avengers - 152
- Exarch with 2 Shuricats and Bladestorm

Wraithlord
- 2 Flamers
- EML

Total: 502

That'd be good enough, my friends won't mind 2 points over (kinda insignificant anyway but yeah)

Would this be good?

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
rafis: thanks for the welcome!

Based upon your advice here's what im thinking:

Farseer - 83
- Singing Spear
- Doom

Wraithlord
- 2 Flamers
- EML

Total: 502

That'd be good enough, my friends won't mind 2 points over (kinda insignificant anyway but yeah)

Would this be good?
Sure. Always glad to see some fresh faces.

Now, if your friend does raise a storm about the two points, remember that the fewest points in your army are invested in your Singing Spear. I would drop that if you run into any conflict in that regard. If, however, your opponent fields heavy armor (anything above 12) I would drop a single Dire Avenger, and, if you have the points, pick up a Brightlance or Mind War (which your Doomseer is conspicuously without), or drop the Singing Spear and the EML for a Brightlance on the Wraithlord.

In larger games I would advise that you invest more heavily in upgrades for your Farseer - the stones can be very powerful, especially for their cost. Other powers, too, such as Guide, Fortune, or Mind War, are very powerful and will turn the modest stats of your elven units into formidable ones. (Except mind war, obviously, which is a little more offensively-minded, so to speak.) Eldritch Storm has its uses, especially against mechanized armies or hordes, but it is the generally-held opinion that it is a less useful power. And remember, no matter what anyone tells you, Mind War targets the model of your choice.

Lastly, a protocol point - on Librarium Online we try and avoid posting the costs of individual units. The whole army is okay, individual units are not really cricket, and the specific points for upgrades and such are extremely not Kosher. This is simply to avoid any possible conflict with Games Workshop's Intellectual Property, because anything free that might possibly serve in lieu of a codex could be seen as infringing on said.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoa, ok didn't know that I will keep that in mind.

and if I do play bigger games... i'll definetly pack at least one Bright Lance and give my Farseer more powers and again thanks for the advice!

oh and one last question for bigger games... is an Autarch a good HQ choice or would you go with another Farseer?

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
is an Autarch a good HQ choice or would you go with another Farseer?
I run an Autarch, but that isn't a guarantee that it's a good idea... ;)

The Autarch is a little too fragile and expensive for what he does. What he does can be very useful (he can get as many as six power-weapon attacks on the charge, for example, or use a melta and then charge with a power weapon).

If you do take him, use him to help fill out an existing unit, such as warp spiders, with either extra death-spinning goodness or tank hunting (melta), for example.

·
1,059 Posts
The autarch is generally taken for the reserve bonus, a bit of CC punch and a reliable fusion gun. If you think those things can help the list then he is a good pick. But the farseer powers of doom/fortune and even guide are extremely powerful so having two casting is nothing to laugh at. It really comes down to what else you have in a list but in a void I would take the farseer over the autarch

·
Registered
154 Posts
In much larger games (1.5 to 2k range) I love the autaurch, but I run scorpians and warpsiders, and a spider'tarch really adds a punch to the warp spiders.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
In much larger games (1.5 to 2k range) I love the autaurch, but I run scorpians and warpsiders, and a spider'tarch really adds a punch to the warp spiders.
Almost exactly how I run him. However, I tend to try and keep the Autarch out of CC, because of the way wound allocation works in 5th edition (which basically means that my independent characters can be melee-sniped out of a unit. This is especially dangerous when a power-fist is doing it and has a legitimate chance to instagib your HQ). This doesn't apply to incoming ranged fire, though, which makes the Autarch significantly stronger in ranged combat than melee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts