Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey,

I like the idea that the Tau are a very mobile strike force. As such I am looking at creating a mechanised Tau army.

I am starting small, so here is the inital list for 500 points.

Guard Shas’el Commander with XV8 battlesuit with missile launcher and burst cannon, command and control node, hard-wired multi-tracker and target lock, bonding knife, 2 gun drones (115)

Fire Warrior Team (8) with pulse rifles, photon grenades, shas’ui, bonded (103)
In a Devilfish with disruption pods (85)

Questions I have are the following:
- Is it worth giving the Shas'el drones?
- How would this army fare on the table top?
- What changes would you make?

Note I would like to keep the Devilfish, but would be interested in adding some infiltrating Kroot.

Thanks,

Bloodthirster

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
Hey mate, its not at all bad for a starting 500 point list - you have a weapon that covers pretty much every target type apart from heavy armour, but the chances of encountering that in such a small game are small to say the least:). Possibly a little light on the dedicated anti-MEQ, but the amount of shots and concentration of force you should be able to achieve will compensate for this.

You can trim off a few things to fit in those kroot if you want:
- drop the drones, bonding knife, C&C node and TL from the HQ - a simple MP BC TA HWMT will do you nicely.
- You could drop the photon grenades and bonding for the FWs
- Keep the 'Fish as they are - very nice. You can use the drones to either assist in FOF tactics or push them up with your commander and use them as a fire screen.

That should give you some points to get a small squad of kroot - not got my codex with me currently so you might not have enough, but its a start. If not you could use the extra points to bulk out the FW squads.

Good luck mate, hope I helped.

Rich.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Hey hey,

I like the idea that the Tau are a very mobile strike force. As such I am looking at creating a mechanised Tau army.

I am starting small, so here is the inital list for 500 points.

Guard Shas’el Commander with XV8 battlesuit with missile launcher and burst cannon, command and control node, hard-wired multi-tracker and target lock, bonding knife, 2 gun drones (115)

Questions I have are the following:
- Is it worth giving the Shas'el drones?
- How would this army fare on the table top?
- What changes would you make?

Note I would like to keep the Devilfish, but would be interested in adding some infiltrating Kroot.

Thanks,

Bloodthirster
Allright, I'll see what I can do.

First off, remove the burst cannon from the commander. This is important. Very important.
Your commander could do with way less upgrades, and more firesupport.

This means no drones. They would do better as firewarriors. Next, no Target Lock. He doesn't need it. A hard wired multi tracker? Golden. Give him a targeting array, and a plasma rifle. This guy will take out enemy Meq's, Teq's, and armor. Don't let him die.
The command and control node is totally unnecessary here. Your firewarriors won't be taking many target priority checks anyway, so this is superflous.

With these changes your commander will cost 18 points less, and be much better.

Allright. Next, in a 500 point battle, there will be enough terrain for you to hide behind. This means that you don't need disruption pods. Instead, take the mandatory Decoy Launchers. Same amount of points, but way better of an upgrade.

Last codex, I would have taken the disruption pod, and it lowered enemy maximum range, but no more.

Also, the photon grenades and shas'ui upgrade won't be needed much, because you will be in a skimmer/behind a skimmer the whole game. This will save you, IIRC, 36 points.
Spend them, and four extra points from your commander, on filling out your firewarrior squads. Then, give one of your devilfish a multi tracker.

This will leave you with a much leaner, stronger force.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I myself would keep the commanders weapons if you wanted a squad of kroot, but if not then definatly add the plama gun. The granades are abit unnessacery i believe, but i was playing a game today and my drones saved my commanders butt. And so i'm up for them for sure atm.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
You don't want your commander to die at this points level, and the IC status conferred by no drones will be instrumental in saving him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.