Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first tyranid list and help with it would be appreciated as it got walked all over by an Imperial Guard force with two primaris pyskers, several veteran squads and some rough riders in its first game, could the lovely Tyranid denizens of Librarium Online give me some advice on what to change and tweak in this list?

Tyranid Prime
Toxin Sacs
90 pts.

15x Gargoyles
90 pts.

12x Hormogaunts
Toxin Sacs
96 pts.

12x Hormogaunts
Toxin Sacs
96 pts.

3x Tyranid Warriors
Venom Cannon
2x Death Spitters
Toxin Sacs

The plan was to use the Gargoyles as a missile screen whilst the hormogaunts advanced behind them, and the tyranid warriors and prime kept synapse with the gargoyles, however the Gargoyles got shot down in the first turn before I could close with the veteran squads, then the rough riders killed one unit of hormagaunts and the second was wiped out by a veteran squad and one of the primaris pyskers, the tyranid warriors were wiped out by shooting in the 4th turn I lost 8-0 since we were playing purge the alien and they DS'd some storm troopers into my deployment to give them extra VP's for a linebreaker. Their approximate list was

Primaris Pysker
Primaris Pysker
Veteran Squad w/ Autocannon and 3 Grenade Launchers
Veteran Squad w/ Autocannon and 3 Grenade Launchers
7x Rough Riders
5x Storm Troopers

·
Registered
29 Posts
I play imperial guard all the time, it really makes you realize how frail tyranid troop choices are.

My suggestion would be to add units that can take a lot of fire. The tervigon tho expensive to field is essential in low point games. They generate extra troops and with st5 t6 and multiple wounds, guard will have their hands full.

Hormagaunts are sadly extremely overpriced for such a frail unit I almost never take them except in fun noncompetitive list. I would recommend replacing them with termagaunts.

Using gargoyles as a screen is a viable strategy, but in a low point game like this I think your points are spent better elsewhere.

Hive guard are another unit you may want to try and work in, they can handle the rough riders or any light armor/troop transports that get into range.

Hope that this has helped, and good luck.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about getting rid of the Gargoyles since they died in the first turn anyway.
Surely termagaunts are just as fragile as Hormogaunts since there is only about a 2 or 3 difference in points even if the Hormogaunts have toxin sacs? Would you recommend replacing the Gargoyles with Hive Guard then, and replace the Hormogaunts with lots of Termagaunts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, termagaunts are just as frail as hormagaunts, but much better priced, even with glands or toxic sacs they are the same price as a barebones hormagaunt so you end up getting a bunch more. That is very helpful esspecially when fighting a heavy shooting army. From my experience quantity beats quality.

To answer your second question, yes I would replace the gargoyles with the gaurd, and replace the melee gaunts with lots-o-termagaunts. Fighting that particular list outfitting them with either toxic sacs or gland (i think both is kinda redundant)

See how that goes for you, and let me me know. Again my primary opponent is imperial guard and I'm always coming up with new ways to eat them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It depends on what he replaces the rough riders with. Honestly I'd still keep em in. They are versatile, strong against light-med armour, elites, and calvery.

Considering he isn't really using transports or tanks, I would work in a couple biovores, str 4 ap 4 large blasts will put a hurting on his troops.

I would try:

HQ

Tyranid Prime (80) scything talons; devourers

Elites

2 Hive Guard (100)

Troops

3 Tyranid Warriors (90) scything talons; devourers
14 Termagants (70)
14 Termagants (70)

Heavy Support

2 Biovores (90)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah termagaunts will probably get gunned down, that's why I tend not to upgrade them. However if he is using his guys to shoot termagaunts that will give your warriors opportunity to get in close. Their shadow in the warp ability will hopefully hinder their psykers. Moreover using all his firepower on lousy gaunts will allow your guard and biovores to reduce his troops to dust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would recommend dropping those Biovores and grab a Venomthrope to go beside your termagants. This may not seem too big, but with great big swarms, they gain a 5+ cover save if any models are within 6", and they count as having defensive grenades, which massively increases their ability to weather assaults. Overwatch shooting and then fighting them under Assault Grenades AND they have Cover always? Big boost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts