Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will soon be entering a small 500 point tournament at a new hobby shop and I would like some advice on my list. I was thinking of ether

HQ
Captain, boltgun, PW

Troops
10 man Tactical Squad, PF, Flamer, ML, Razorback

5 man Scout Sniper Squad, camo, Telion, HB

or

HQ
Captain, boltgun, PW

Troops

10 man Tactical Squad, flamer, ML, chainsword

5 man Scout Sniper Squad, camo, HB

Heavy Support

Vindicator

I am not so sure about Telion at the 500 point level but I don't have the time to assemble/ paint additional models before the tournament :( . I am also considering switching the HB on the scouts with a ML do to my lack of anti vehicle stuff.
Here is a list of models that I have ready:

1x SM Captain with boltgun, PW
14x SM with boltgun
2x SM with ML
1x SM with flamer
2x SM with magnetized special weapon (plasma gun, melta gun, flamer)
2x SM sergeant with boltgun and PF
1x SM sergeant with chainsword, boltpistol
4x SM Scout with sniper
1x SM Scout magnetized for sniper, HB, or ML
1x Telion
1x Razorback
3x Rhino
1x Whirlwind
1x Vindicator
1x Landraider
4x Terminator with storm bolter, PF
1x Terminator sergeant with storm bolter, PW
1x Dreadnought MM, CCW

and one command squad and captain still on their sprues

Please leave comments and suggestions on the list or even what I should pick up next (I want Cassius, Assault Terminators, LR crusader conversion (i magnetized my LR), Attack bikes or Landspeeders, perhaps bikes for my command squad, and stern guard vets, and perhaps the turret sprue for razorbacks :p)

-Siege

·
Cousin It
1,385 Posts
i'd say bring a small squad of tactical marines with your captain. You will realise very quickly how vulnerable your captain is if he's not in a unit (one high strength shot and bam...). Of course you could build your command squad and use that (i'd advise this to be honest :p)

Captain, with command squad in a rhino (or with some tactical marines if you dont have the time to build and paint your command squad), and then your 10 man tactical squad with special and heavy weapons (flamers and ML tend to be nice and versatile). Razorback with the tactical marines gives you some nice extra firepower too (and allows your ML to be set up in cover, while the combat squad without range hides in it). Depending on how many points you have left, you can then play around with some upgrades (estimate you should have around 40 points left, depending on your razorback weapon choice).

A few upgrades i would suggest would be a powerfist for the 10 man tactical sergeant, or maybe upgrading the razorback to have something sweeter. Alternatively you can beef up the command squad a little, but i wouldn't advise too much upgrades (the company champion OR company banner, but both might be pushing it)

As for what you should get next, sternguard should be on every marine players list :) as should at least one drop pod, as they are wonderous fun. Personally i love a bike squad with an attack bike, as they are very effective tank hunters and can kill lightly armoured troops quite nicely, while easily staying out of assault range (or getting into it if you prefer). A heavy weapon for your shooty terminators is always nice, as is a squad of termies with hammers and shields.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Siegebringer

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you want to run a Captain, then give him a bolt pistol instead of the boltgun. This way he benefits of the additional CC weapon in close combat and is able to charge after shooting. Additionally, you may even consider giving him a plasma pistol, if you have the points to spare.

Another problem you have is the scout squad. With their lower WS/BS, you’ll suffer to hit at range and in CC. I strongly advise against using scouts in small points, even with Telion (He’s the only reason I’ve found to justify scouts, anyway).

Since you don’t have a Librarian in your model list, nor you have a Predator (great in low point games), I’d suggest the following composition:

HQ
==================
Captain with PW, BP and Melta Bombs

Elites
==================
Terminator Squad

Troops
==================
Tactical Squad
Tactical Squad

That's 500 points, exactly.

Tactics: Captain joins one of the tactical squads. In objective base missions, you sit your tactical squad in them and shoot. Terminators can either march the battlefield shooting and assaulting when in range, or deepstrike for contesting, dislodging or otherwise harass the enemy. In annihilation, you keep the tactical squads back and pick up targets of opportunity with the Terminators. In such a small points game, I don’t see plasmas and meltas, so you’ll have your 2+ saves all the time but against an eventual CC, in which 10 PF attacks should dispose of anything of consideration. If you know in advance that you'll be playing a lot of horde lists (Tyranids or Orcs), you can swap the Captain Melta Bombs for a Heavy Flamer upgrade on the Terminators.

Good luck on your tournament.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Id take the vindicator at low pts no one has stuff to kill it so it has longer chance of living and killing in a game like this id probably take predator low pt configuration because at low pts most things cant touch it.

Use side sponser heavy bolters main autocannon only 85 pts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i would take a libarian and a terminator squad of 6 guys with storm shields and thunder hammers and teleport them all over the place as you have 2 squads of 5 scouts with 4x snipers and 1x missile launcher ( one squad also has a homing beacon if you can fit in the points ). That's much tougher than a vindicator list. But two vindicators would give you a bigger headache if you faced Black Templars. but those rockets should do enough damage to one to stop the other from doing too much damage.
thanks
antique_nova

1 - 6 of 6 Posts