Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my 500 pt list I just used last weekend to dominate a Black Templars army "For the Greater Good!"

HQ- Shas El
TL Plasma Rifle
Missle Pod
Hw Multi Tracker

Total: 98 pts

Elite- 3x XV15s

Total: 90 pts

Elite- 2x XV8s
TL Missle Pod
TL Missle Pod
Flamer
Target Lock

Total: 113 pts

Troop- 10x Fire Warriors

Total: 100 pts

Troop- 14x Kroot

Total: 98 pts

GRAND TOTAL: 499 PTS

The mission was a take and hold mission, so I wanted to have a few units that could deal with his land speeders but I also wanted enough units to adequately protect the objective area. Comments are appreciated.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
The problem I see in your list, is that you are equipping IMO the wrong items on your suits. Im new to tau, but i'm getting some of the basics down.

XV8's are illegal. Twin link will take two hardpoints, your requip shows 4 o_O unless your just saying one has TL Mis. pod + flamer, and another has target lock and missle pod..

TL Missle Pod
TL Missle Pod
Flamer
Target Lock

Unless you are just going to hardwire them... which is perfectly legal... but still useless..
You have 1 more slots of elite open, you do not need a target lock. Just seperate squads.

XV15's are nice, dont have experience with them yet, but I might ditch them and free up points. And load up on more of a killer type crisis.

Since you are playing against marines, it would be more of a sound idea to get your crisis to be equipped with:

Missile Pod
Multi Tracker
Plasma rifle

You can fullfil both the roles of anti land speeder and anti 3+ saves.

My revised list for you:

Shas O - 110 pts (BS5 is really nice =) )
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Multi Track

Elites: (Missile, plasma rifle, multi tracker combo)
XV8 - 65 pts

XV8 - 65 pts

XV8 - 65 pts

:Troops:
15x kroot - 105
9x fire warriors - 90

500/500 points and more killing firepower.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Although I would keep the stealths (good annoyance unit, especially at 500 pts), the fireknife configuration he suggested will serve you XV8's better. Maybe lose a few kroot?

Or don't. The list looks pretty good as is. Although the XV8's have to be made legal by losing the target locks and splitting them into 2 slots as already suggested. This makes them 114 pts, bringing your list to 500 I believe.

Just trying to reinforce the ideas of the previous post, not trying to steal them.:ninja:

Phase Out....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so there was some misunderstanding with the crisis suits, they both had TL Missle Pods one has a flamer and the other has a target lock, these deathrain suits I take as a standard in any battle mostly because they are possibly the most balanced and versitile suit in any Tau army.

I took them both in one squad because it's 1 point cheaper than if I take them in seperate squads and since I didn't know if I was going to need that point somewhere else.

The reason why I usually don't like taking the fireknife, is because it gets incrediblly expensive, and it turns the suit in to sort of a "Jack of all Trades" but "Master of None" but I highly suggest you try the deathrain suits, many people seem to think they aren't as good because of only ap4 but trust me, the range, combined with 2 str 7 shots more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Deathrains are good, so if you like them OK. I personally use different combo's all the time.
I just find plasmas to be great weapons against marines, but they play differently than missle suits having to get dangerously close to realy put the hurt on. Which is where my XV8's play.

As a matter of fact I used to hate fireknifes because thats what everyone takes. Nowadays though, I have recently been toying around w/ a 12 crisis, 12 firewarrior 1000 pt list in fun games, and w/ 3 squads of fireknifes, I'm pretty stuck on them. But, as I said, different unit tactics.

One question though. How does putting them in one squad save you one pt?

Phase Out....

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Either way, i'd seperate the squads, if given the extra slots. Why? this forces your enemy to take either two units to take both down, or take two turns to take both down. Instead of one wave of fire which could happen.

and you save points from not taking the target lock.

In my opinnion, yes you could take only missile pods, (You'd be practically shooting just like an IG autocannon).

My only fear is you seriously lack AP. That means good to every power armour friend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be honest... I'm not sure why I put em in one unit, prolly just out of habit I guess, usually in slightly larger games, I drop the flamer and give him a shield geni, that way both suits would benefit from the 4+ rather than buying two seperate ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts