Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My regular gaming group has finally decided to try to get to painting, and put a slight emphasis on playing with painted models, and we are doing this via a campaign. So, we're starting at 500 pts, and building up from there as we claim objectives and stuff.

I'm trying to play a Farsight Enclave campaign list (there will be multiple detachments, operating independently), without having the big man in the list himself (i.e. an army that has trained with Farsight, but is now off trying to make their own way in the world). Farsight might make an appearance once in a while (checking in).

I have tons of models, so if you have ANY suggestion that you think would make the list better (either from a fluff-perspective or a gaming-perspective, please put it out there, and at least give me something to think about.

HQ
Shas'el Y'he Sha'is - 100 (Centurion Shas'el w/PR/CIB/TA/HWMT)
While I know this guy isn't always the most popular choice for a commander, I want to develop him into a Ninja'O as the campaign continues. Fluff-wise, I think it makes sense as he would be agressively attacking areas as the rest of the army supports itself (kind of like Farsight). He would have to have a good secondary commander (like Farsight) guiding the army, and these are in the form of the Team Leadered XV-8s. He's the only model that I have that is already painted, so I want to keep him in the list, if possible. I can, of course, just work with one of my other HQ models if you think he should be out of the list.

ELITE
Fireknife4 - 77 (Team Leader w/PR/MP/TA/HWMT)
Fireknife4 - 77 (Team Leader w/PR/MP/TA/HWMT)
These guys are my "go-to" characters. I figured from a fluff-perspective, they are Y'he Sha'is bodyguard, and act independently directing the rest of the army as the Shas'el runs around killing stuff.

Deathrain4 - 53 (TLMP/TA)
I used to hate these models, but now... I love them!

TROOPS
6 Firewarriors - 60
6 Firewarriors - 60
I need em, so... uh... yeah.

FAST ATTACK
Pirahna - 70 (FB/TA)
I selected this to provide an objective grabber, as well as using the drones for IC protection. I figured it can get to hidden vehicles as well, in desperation. I'm the most willing to drop this guy if you have something that can work better.

TOTAL: 497

So what do you guys think? How can I make this a better list (fluffy and game-wise)?

·
running
1,274 Posts
The list is certainly fluffy (which I love) but I have one large concern: your model count is low for 500 points, and you have 60% of your points tied up in 4 models (the crisis suits).

Do you need an HQ at the start of this campaign? I don't know what the rules are, but if you're playing combat patrol to start you might consider downgrading your 'el to a normal crisis suit and give him TL status for access to the special weapons. He could be a very skilled team leader right now, and as the campaign progresses he gets promoted to 'el and eventually 'o (if you were looking for some possible fluff)

Whether you can do this or not, I think you should drop one of the Fireknives and use the extra points to get some more Fire Warriors (my first choice) or a Kroot Squad (my second choice). You're going to need some more bodies on the table and these are cheap ways to get 'em.

I like the Deathrain and Piranha.

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the input, and from a fellow Bostoner, too - Go Sox!

Anyway, you suggestions are very interesting. But sadly, I refuse to play kroot. You see, there was an incident where a kroot model attacked me during the time when I was putting them together (it drew some serious blood, and I'm not gonna tell you from where!). Now, kroot are sadly relegated to the use of proxied IG and genestealers only, and forever will be regarded as such in my lists; hence my propencity for Farsight.

We do need to have an HQ in each and every list we make, regardless of size of game; basically any campaign division needs at least one HQ and 2 Troops to be usable (or else it "falls back" on the campaign map).

I will definately consider the suggestion of dropping a Fireknive. If I do, I'll have a total of 80 points to play with (including the 3 that I'm under). This could give me a unit of 8 FWs, or a XV-88 w/ASS (SMS for 24" non-LOS shooting).

In the campaign, I know I'll be facing wraithlord heavy eldar (2 lords in 500 if he can fit it), slaanesh chaos (Demon Prince w/lash), and MC tyranids, as a start, so I have to keep up the high-S shots, AP being a plus, but 30"-ranged pulse rifles do rock, and are strong enough to wound a wraithlord, as well as just about anything else out there.

Any other suggestions?

·
running
1,274 Posts
I totally understand about the Kroot (they'll never appear in any army I make either) but I thought I'd suggest 'em.

I can see what you're saying about Wraithlords and Tyranid MC's, but at 500 points I think 3 crisis suits should be sufficient. Those units are very expensive points wise and if you opponent loads up on them, his army is going to be very small. Also, you have JSJ to protect your suits. I've had a lot of success at 1000 points with a Fireknife 'el, a Helios 'el, a Deathrain, and a regular Fireknife. Those shots will go a long way, and there are a lot of other things in your army that he can't ignore as well.

If you drop the fireknife, you still have two plasma guns, a CIB, a ML, and a TL-ML pumping out shots, plus the fusion on the Piranha. That's quite a bit of high STR, low AP shooting already.

I think you should take the extra 80 points and make those FW squads 10 men strong. That would give you 20 pulse rifles on the table to deal with infantry, and the 3 suits and piranha to take care of armour.

·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fluff-wise, I totally forgot about the bonding knives, so any unit of models 2+ gets them. I also have a strange idea that fluff-wise: there should be a clear heirarchy of leadership in Farsight Enclave because of the loss of the ethereals (former leaders). This come from my attempt to explain why Farsight would need another commander in the armies he is in. Basically, I think that any Enclave list I make will have an HQ, and at least one team leader for the hierarchy issue. So it would go HQ1, HQ2, TmLd1, TmLd2... etc. I hope that explains why I am keeping the Fireknife4.

I dropped another fireknive instead of the pirahna to gain some more firewarriors. This cuts my total output of high strength shots, but I think that the other changes make up for it.

And I changed out the pirahna for an XV-88 w/ASS. While I know that Farsight is all about the "elite" tau, I love the XV-8s & XV-88s, and this guy will give me an effective base upon which to build my HS options. He will be the basis of my firebase (him and 2 squads of firewarriors).

Any more comments on this new (& hopefully improved) list?
I'll shut up now:

HQ
Shas'El Y'he Sha'is - 100 (CIB/PR/TA/HWMT)
This guy is my commander, as he's painted (and now highlighted, woot!), and is a forgeworld modeled suit. I just like him, and the CIB/PR combo is a good take-all-comers set up.

ELITE
Fireknive4 - 77 (Team Leader/PR/MP/TA/HWMT)
I went to one here, as I think, with the addition of the XV-88 & firewarriors, there is a really good static base. So my crisis will be my mobile fire base, attacking where they are needed. Fluff-wise, he's my second in command, and will be the first to be elevated to HQ (in a helios layout at 1000 pts).

Deathrain - 53 (TLMP/TA)
Transports die to this guy, so he's basically a mobile XV-88, and will work in conjunction to take down tough enemies. And fluff-wise, he's third in command.

TROOP
8 Firewarriors - 95 (7 Shas'la & 1 Shas'ui w/BK)

8 Firewarriors - 95 (7 Shas'la & 1 Shas'ui w/BK)
This is a new thing for me. I'm usually reluctant to run more than 150 pts in firewarriors, but oink got me thinking, so I'm going to try it out. The shas'ui & BK are upgrades representing the fluff of Farsight, and fitting them into the ethereal-less hierarchy of the Enclave. These guys are both 5th & 6th in command, and if it gets to that... I'm screwed.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Broadside - 80 (XV-88 w/ASS)
I was just looking at this guy last night, and I think he fits into a Farsight-themed list better than the pirahna. This gives me something that I can effectively point and click, and the target will most likely get damaged somehow. Careful deployment will be required, but he can still pump out those SMS shots if I don't need the TLRG. 4th in command.

TOTAL - 500

1 - 6 of 6 Posts