Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I need some help for an upcoming tournament. It's 500 points no named characters. Really hard to make a solid list at such few points. Anyways here is what I was thinking. A couple lists I came up with and not sure what one would be ideal.

Lvl 2 necro MoD

20 skeletons spears, full command
20 skeletons spears, full command

10 ghouls, ghast

Or go with 6 dire wolves, doom wolf and 5 ghouls, ghast 499

List 2:

Lvl 1 vamp, ha, sh, seed of rebirth

20 skeletons, full command
20 skeletons, full command

Ghouls, direwolves combo options as above 499

Thanks all in advance!

·
Registered
120 Posts
500 pts lists are Always interresting!

I'd go with the following:

General: Vampire; level 2; heavy armor; shield.
Core: 21 skeletons; champion; banner.
Special: 3 crypt horrors
3 crypt horrors

VC core is just not good enough for its points. Crypt horrors; being monstrous infantry rock in small games (no number to withstand their onslaught) especially combined with a boosting/buffing vampire at the back of the force. The vampire is not strong enough to go toe-to-toe with any combat hero (Even a well-kitted empire captain will kill him) but him being a level 2 with enough slaying power to boost the skeletons to useful proportions; he's a nice addition to your force.

Edit: this list uses the house rule that in small army lists (>1000 points) where no lords are chosen; its points may be spent on heroes instead. If your scene does not allow this; you might want to switch him to a level 2 necromancer with the MoD upgrade. Any left over points can go into a regiment of 20 zombies as a bodyguard; so the skeletons can be used as tar pit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks for the advice. Our shop doesn't let us put the points from one section elsewhere, but that would be amazing may have to bring that up. I am not a fan of these small games, but I play in every tournament I can regardless of points. Thanks again for the help!

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
you need 3 units to make the army legal. Lords/heroes don't count. I am also pretty sure you can't take ghouls in units of less than 10, I maybe wrong or is this tournament using it's own rules for army composition?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anything less than a Thousand makes for cramped army lists. usually some restrictions are lifted to make it a little more interesting. The ability to use lord character points in the hero section is one which I see often.

The default choice of heroes is a level 2 mage; as having no mage is disastrous in games where a single fireball can hurt your army enormously. In Vampire Counts; it's even required. the option goes between a level 2 necro and a level 1 vampire with 20 points of equipment. This gives no other character-options as lords are too expensive (barring goblins; who suddenly have options others haven't!) .

as for VC, your core is terrible (13 ghouls don't do the trick) so one must rely on the 50% special choices along the obligatory necromancer. Crypt horrors or grave guard are both great; as you can fit 2 units of 3 crypt horrors or one unit of 19 grave guard in there if you field a champion and banner. (6*3 + 1) Both seriously kick some as, especialy since you can regrow them using the invocation.

Mind that you need to fied 2 units of 20 zombies as your core (one with a banner) if you want to go the grave guard route. In that case you have the obligatory 3 units and can use one as tar pit/flank guard while the other protects the necromancer.

Vincecount

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thank you all very much. The tips and advice helped out immensely. Sadly our tournament was cancelled, but now at least I have basic ideas about what to field at 500 points. For one I would have never thought in a million years I would be able to fit 19 gg in 500 points. Thanks again you guys are amazing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My opinions :

1. Take a necro, to keep your army going.

2. For your core, I'd stick with zombies and dire wolves. If you want skeletons, maybe invest in a magic banner?

3. For your special, you could go with horrors, but there's the hexwraiths. Being ethereal, they could be unstoppable.

There's also spirit hosts, and bat swarms, and a vampire with flying horror...

:beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts